Fleury or Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Two totally different players, at totally different posititions, who would fill totallly different needs for their teams. But nonetheless who would you rather have as a franchise player - Marc-Andre Fleury or Eric Staal.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Staal, i prefer offensive over defensive and last season Staal looked like he could handle more pressure

Reilly311

Fleury. Defense win championships and you need an A Class goalie to win the Cup. Staal is a nice player, but I think he's replaceable. I don't think he'll turn into a Joe Thornton type franchise center. Even if he does, I'd still take Fleury

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Fleury. Staal's a forward, of course he could adapt quicker. Although, on the whole, I would say Fleury adapted just fine.

db23

Fleury sucked in the NHL once the league got a book on him. He tanked at the WJC, in the QMJHL playoffs and was riddled in a couple of outings in the AHL playoffs. He won't be as good as Rick DiPietro even in the NHL. A first overall braincramp on the order of Brian Lawton or Greg Joly.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Reilly311 said:
Fleury. Defense win championships and you need an A Class goalie to win the Cup. Staal is a nice player, but I think he's replaceable. I don't think he'll turn into a Joe Thornton type franchise center. Even if he does, I'd still take Fleury

*cough*Chris Osgood*cough*

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
db23 said:
Fleury sucked in the NHL once the league got a book on him. He tanked at the WJC, in the QMJHL playoffs and was riddled in a couple of outings in the AHL playoffs. He won't be as good as Rick DiPietro even in the NHL. A first overall braincramp on the order of Brian Lawton or Greg Joly.

Yeah, the league got a book on him alright. It read, "Marc-Andre Fleury is only human."

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Owned.

Fleury, because he's a goalie. It's no knock on Staal, but I'll take a potential franchise goalie over a potential franchise forward. Just the way I value it.

Fleury's 19 and may not have even been ready for the NHL yet. He's probably still having nightmares about the 50 shots a night he faced. He bounced around too much last year, but on the whole I agree with servo.

Then again, we might need to see some stats here, because we know that's everything. :shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Mmm.. Fleury.

Not really an easy decision, though. All star centerman or all-star netminder.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
honestly I take Fleury. Even if Staal could end up being a star player offensively and very responsible in his own end, you take the franchise-calibre goalie. Thankfully the Canes didn't have to worry about that descision too much with Cam Ward already in the system.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's a very difficult choice. One in which i'm not even clearly sure on a clear defined answer. Instead, i'll just break it down as I see it.

Staal is a potential franchise forward, which are rare. Fleury is a potential franchise goaltender, which is even more rare. Therefore the slight edge goes to Fleury in that regard. Every team needs at least 6 very talented forwards. Each team only needs one very talented goaltender.The positional edge is far too great to ignore.

However, goaltenders that are franchise goaltenders aren't always selected in the Top 5 of the NHL draft. As a matter of fact, it hasn't hardly happened at all. Most goaltenders development comes a great deal after they are drafted, and it makes it even more of a question mark to take a goaltender early. Edge goes to the forward, Staal, in this scenario. The question of development and adaptation. Staal would be the safer pick to pan out given our current knowledge of these players.

Upside. Staal is a fantastic offensive prospect, but you have to think that his ceiling in this league is somewhere around 80 points a year. 80 real points, not, "______ could one day score 80 points!" points, the real deal. It may look like a low-ball estimate to some, but it's more realistic than a lot of the prognosticators out there are willing to admit about their own prospects. When you look at it in that light, it's possible that Staal could swing a few games in favor of his team. However, Fleury could possibly develop into a franchise goaltender to the likes we haven't seen since Patrick Roy and depending on your inclination, Martin Broduer. These players usually account for 10-15 stolen games a year, considering the circumstances. Therefore, the upside on Fluery is far greater in terms of the win-loss column, which is the only one that really makes a differance. Edge to Fleury in this regard.

Influence and leadership. These are things that are more likely to come from an Eric Staal than a Marc-Andre Fleury. Fleury is still very much immature and childlike, not ill-natured mind you, but childlike all the same. Staal brings a presence to the ice of reserved respectfulness that is shades of Francis. That's probably where a lot of the comparisons came from. Staal has the demeanor of Francis and the skill-set of a Modano type player. While Fleury could be an immense help to a defense, I don't see players being able to relate to Fleury in a leadership sense the way they can relate to Staal. It's more difficult for a goaltender to set an example anyways, if you ask me. Staal stands a chance to be a great leader, on and off the ice, for years to come. Staal takes the edge here.

It's a tough call that goes up to personal preference. I'd be honestly glad to have either in my organization, but simply because Staal plays for Carolina my natural instinct is to lean towards him.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Both will be great players but Fleury's position is more important so i would pick him. Although Staal is a franchise player, too.

little a from da bx

Jun 18, 2004
Reilly311 said:
Fleury. Defense win championships and you need an A Class goalie to win the Cup.
well said i agree 100 %, thats if fleury turns out to be like he should which is a martin broduer as every one says. then yes grade a goaltending over a goal scorer , casue u can always get a goal scorer but not a franchise great goaltender

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fleury mostly due to him putting on all those pads every night.

It'll take longer for the Pens to get a return on MAF than it would have for them to take Staal, but the potential return is larger.

As caniacforever said each team needs 6 very talented goalies and only 1 very talented goalie, and that's too hard to ignore.

Plus with some of those Penguins teams of the mid/late 90s it's kinda hard for me not to go with the goalie. If the Penguins had a better goalie than the aging Barrasso and aging Wregget we would have probably gone farther, made it to the finals at least once. Those teams were offensively unbelievable, but left a ton to desire defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad