Fleury, Neal join Gallant for ASG

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The most established names on the team? Yes?

The two best choices for inclusion? You be the judge.
Fleury has absolutely earned it.

Neal has been good but he hasn't been the best forward on the team. Marchesseault or Karlsson should've been there. I'd argue based on the 3 on 3 format, Marchesseault would probably be more effective with all that space. Karlsson's effectiveness comes from knowing where to go.

Not that it matters in the slightest though.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Fleury has absolutely earned it.

Neal has been good but he hasn't been the best forward on the team. Marchesseault or Karlsson should've been there. I'd argue based on the 3 on 3 format, Marchesseault would probably be more effective with all that space. Karlsson's effectiveness comes from knowing where to go.

Not that it matters in the slightest though.

Fleury 9-2-1 with a shutout and better save %. Subban 11-2-0 with two perfect shootouts.

I would never argue that Fleury isn't a star on the team, but I would argue that his being out on IR should have been a huge factor in the decision. OTOH, Quick, Fleury, and Subban are the best goalies in the division imho (not in that order), and he would edge out Subban on Save%. Ya gotta have two goalies so I get it. But I don't get Neal.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I agree with this. It kinda feels like they went with the name guys rather than the best producers this year. Sill, it is nice to see the vets get the honor too. March and Karlsson have a lot more years ahead of them.

I just hate seeing that as a cheap excuse for favoring name recognition over production. The stars of a team are the ones who produce results in the current season. If there were a locker room leadership element to selection, I'd support Neal.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I just hate seeing that as a cheap excuse for favoring name recognition over production. The stars of a team are the ones who produce results in the current season. If there were a locker room leadership element to selection, I'd support Neal.

I agree. It cheapens the whole "All Star" recognition if it is more career or reputation based than season based.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Not to sound like a broken record and repeat everything that’s been said, but March and Karlsson absolutely, 100% deserved it over Neal. Fleury vs. Subban is absolutely arguable too, but Im not going to fight that fight. Based on expectations, Subban has been better than Fluery...not to take anything away from MAF.

Karlsson is 6th in goals scored in the league, and Marchessault is tied for 24th in the league in points with up to as many as 6-8 games in hand on some guys. PPG wise, he’s 10th in the league. 86 point pace.

Neal seemed to get the nod via the “all-time achievement award” like when Doughty won the Norris, when he had had much better seasons in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad