Fleury Appreciation Thread

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Where did you hear this? Not saying it isn't true (in fact I suspect it is true), just curious.

One of the Canadian hockey writers that MM had on his show. I think it was MM and not the fan. Sadly I cant remember who it was; but he was someone I would consider a legit source/writer, not a hack job.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
If that's the case then what use would it be form them to take Mike Smith, who turns 32 in March, as the #3 guy? Even Crawford is only 33 days younger than Fleury.

I would expect Bernier or Holtby to get the #3 position. The only one talking about Smith/Crawford here is you.

For the first time in his career, Fleury has actually taken steps to try to correct some of his issues. He's made changes to his routines and rituals, he's taking practices more seriously, he's more than willing to try out suggestions made by Bales, and so on. You could argue that he was forced to see the sports psychologist, but he'd said "no" when Shero had previously asked him to do it - so if he didn't want to do it, he wouldn't have.

You really think this is the first time in Fleury's career that he tried to make improvements to his game? That withstanding, on a scale of minus 3 to 10, how would you say his puck-handling has improved this season?

I find it hard to believe that it's entirely coincidental that all the changes occurring had nothing to do with his excellent play this season. The guy has established himself as a top 10 starter this season and is only a hot streak away from getting his name into Vezina talks.

I don't know many people other than you who consider Fleury to be a "top 10 starter". You also have a significantly different definition of "excellent" than I do. I hope Fleury continues his above average play into the playoffs, but I'm not optimistic of either scenario coming true.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I would expect Bernier or Holtby to get the #3 position. The only one talking about Smith/Crawford here is you.

Virtually every analyst is predicting the same goalies for Canada - Price, Luongo, and Smith.

I don't know many people other than you who consider Fleury to be a "top 10 starter". You also have a significantly different definition of "excellent" than I do. I hope Fleury continues his above average play into the playoffs, but I'm not optimistic of either scenario coming true.

The numbers speak for themselves. He's currently tied for 13th in the NHL's "Save % Leaders" report with 5 backups ahead of him, 5th in "GAA Leaders" with 1 backup ahead of him, and tied for 1st in wins. Even TSN's goalie rankings have him sitting 7th and he's never been ranked all that high on there - in fact, I'm not sure I've ever even seen him in their top 10 before.

Last edited:

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

You really think this is the first time in Fleury's career that he tried to make improvements to his game? That withstanding, on a scale of minus 3 to 10, how would you say his puck-handling has improved this season?

You think Fleury is the first goalie ever to stink at puck handling? Patrick Roy went through his entire career being one of the worst puck-handling goalies in the league.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I still have trouble understanding how Smith is still being tipped as the #3 goalie for the Olympic team. I'm not saying that Flower should get it, but I fail to see how Smith qualifies as a shoe-in for the spot either.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I still have trouble understanding how Smith is still being tipped as the #3 goalie for the Olympic team. I'm not saying that Flower should get it, but I fail to see how Smith qualifies as a shoe-in for the spot either.

Probably because of his play since last year and the fact that he didn't decline the invitation from Team Canada last year at the Worlds. I know North American players don't care much about the tournament compared to Europeens but you keep saying no to your country I'm sure these guys keep it in mind

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

I don't understand how Holtby isn't in the conversation as their starter. He has put up some incredible numbers behind a shaky defensive team.

I would be taking Holtby and Luongo as my pair with Price as the 3rd. Holtby is the clear cut "future" of CAN starting goaltending for the olympics IMO. Coin toss between Smith and Price at #3.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
$6M per year / 6 years ($36M) for next contract?

This came to my mind when I saw Varlamov's new contract. What do you think?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
$6M per year / 6 years ($36M) for next contract?

This came to my mind when I saw Varlamov's new contract. What do you think?

First off, I think the final year of his currently contract (next season) is going to hinge completely on how he performs in the playoffs this season. If he bombs again, then I'd say the odds are very good that he's either bought out or traded. If he does well then he's earned the final year of his contract with the Pens, during which he'll have the chance to prove himself worthy of an extension.

As of this moment, if the Pens were to sign him for even a penny more than his current cap hit I'd be livid - and I've got to be one of the biggest Fleury fans around. Given the trend goalie contracts are heading, I wouldn't complain about extended him at the same cap hit though I'd prefer to see a drop to ~$4-mil (realistically).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad