Flea Market Swap

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Long story short a few things gave me the idea for this thread. I know swaps don’t happen too much in football, but with Barcelona’s situation the last few years it’s always made me think it’s something teams should explore more. So I’m curious to see what sort of swap ideas people here would propose. Think players you want gone from your team, but also look at players other people are posting and propose swaps. One club‘s junk is another club’s treasure! I’ll throw out a couple of players:

Samuel Umtiti
Miralem Pjanic

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I kind of wish there was more creativity in the way clubs do swaps. Feels like it's often 2 teams getting rid of guys they don't want for the sake of a change in scenery.

To look at this with an NA hat on. Brighton would put Gross up for swap as a deadline day acquisition. Older player that could contribute at a bigger club in a more rotational role.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I kind of wish there was more creativity in the way clubs do swaps. Feels like it's often 2 teams getting rid of guys they don't want for the sake of a change in scenery.

To look at this with an NA hat on. Brighton would put Gross up for swap as a deadline day acquisition. Older player that could contribute at a bigger club in a more rotational role.

I think sometimes that change of scenery might work wonders though. I think of Coutinho and Aubameyang. And specifically with regards to this thread, one of the players I was thinking about was Hazard. He's had injury problems I know, but would someone take a punt on him? He has two years left on his contract and while I don't see a lot of clubs throwing money at Madrid for him, maybe they offer up a player instead?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Part of what makes swaps so rare is that most transfers in football occur between clubs of disparate finances. I.e. FC VW could just add the GOAT's wages to their budget in January without batting an eye, but if we had taken Nmecha back instead of the cash, that would have bankrupted us & meant losing our license.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think sometimes that change of scenery might work wonders though. I think of Coutinho and Aubameyang. And specifically with regards to this thread, one of the players I was thinking about was Hazard. He's had injury problems I know, but would someone take a punt on him? He has two years left on his contract and while I don't see a lot of clubs throwing money at Madrid for him, maybe they offer up a player instead?
Sanchez and Mhki also come to mind in the change of scenery boat.

Hazard would definitely be good for a change of scenery. If he could be half the player he was at Chelsea it would be worth it. Real would need to pay for part of his wages of the contract would need to be reworked to make a club bite.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Part of what makes swaps so rare is that most transfers in football occur between clubs of disparate finances. I.e. FC VW could just add the GOAT's wages to their budget in January without batting an eye, but if we had taken Nmecha back instead of the cash, that would have bankrupted us & meant losing our license.

Sanchez and Mhki also come to mind in the change of scenery boat.

Hazard would definitely be good for a change of scenery. If he could be half the player he was at Chelsea it would be worth it. Real would need to pay for part of his wages of the contract would need to be reworked to make a club bite.

Right, finances and wages are something to be taken into consideration, but then players also might agree to reduced wages and there's obviously a fantasy element here. I'm more just curious to see what swaps people might consider were they an option and they had the power to decide. And it doesn't have to be players who play for a club you support, but just swaps you think would be fair. @Juve and I have discussed the Pjanic - Arthur deal before and I'm curious if she would take that swap back. I wouldn't be thrilled taking Arthur back considering whatever his wages are now and the fact we don't need a CM, but I'd still entertain that swap pending what Pjanic might fetch in the market.

Reactions: robertmac43

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Right, finances and wages are something to be taken into consideration, but then players also might agree to reduced wages and there's obviously a fantasy element here. I'm more just curious to see what swaps people might consider were they an option and they had the power to decide. And it doesn't have to be players who play for a club you support, but just swaps you think would be fair. @Juve and I have discussed the Pjanic - Arthur deal before and I'm curious if she would take that swap back. I wouldn't be thrilled taking Arthur back considering whatever his wages are now and the fact we don't need a CM, but I'd still entertain that swap pending what Pjanic might fetch in the market.

I would certainly not take the swap back. Arthur is not out of this world, but Pjanic was putrid and lazy his last couple of seasons. He was 29/30 years old playing like a 40 year old.

Reactions: les Habs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Will move Oxlade-Chamberlain for similar rated RCM that is more defensively focused than offensively focused. So yeah, a more defensively inclined Chamberlain who can close games out and won’t complain about being on the bench (at least at first).

Not a lot of passengers on this LFC squad. Origi going to Milan so won’t include him. Don’t think Milner really counts here. Adrian or Karius? Meh. Maybe Joe Gomez fits in here but he is still young that they could loan him out. But then again maybe Gomez knows he is a good loan move away from starting for England. Needs to be beneficial to LFC though.

LFC really only need defensive first b2b midfielder and a back up RB if Neco Williams goes for more playtime to keep his Wales spot.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bissouma is available for trade. In return, Brighton wants a younger striker 19-25 and a DM that has top-flight experience that could play some minutes as Mwepu continues to grow.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would certainly not take the swap back. Arthur is not out of this world, but Pjanic was putrid and lazy his last couple of seasons. He was 29/30 years old playing like a 40 year old.

What about the Ndombele for Rabiot swap that @Sonaldo7 mentioned. Would you do that? I would were it me, but I'm not sure how Rabiot has done and he seems to get regular minutes.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Will move Oxlade-Chamberlain for similar rated RCM that is more defensively focused than offensively focused. So yeah, a more defensively inclined Chamberlain who can close games out and won’t complain about being on the bench (at least at first).

Not a lot of passengers on this LFC squad. Origi going to Milan so won’t include him. Don’t think Milner really counts here. Adrian or Karius? Meh. Maybe Joe Gomez fits in here but he is still young that they could loan him out. But then again maybe Gomez knows he is a good loan move away from starting for England. Needs to be beneficial to LFC though.

LFC really only need defensive first b2b midfielder and a back up RB if Neco Williams goes for more playtime to keep his Wales spot.

Bissouma is available for trade. In return, Brighton wants a younger striker 19-25 and a DM that has top-flight experience that could play some minutes as Mwepu continues to grow.

The intent I had for this thread was just discussion, so feel free to float players you think you could get in return or swaps you think might make sense as @Sonaldo7 did.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How about (if we are going for trying to be relatively realistic) Chamberlain to Brentford for Norgaard, to Palace for Kouyate,

Maybe I can do better though.

@les Habs to Barca for Sergi Roberto? Or Dest if y’all don’t have a use for him anymore

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
From what I've seen, Rabiot has played a lot but has been extremely passive, like he can be when he's not coached properly.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
How about (if we are going for trying to be relatively realistic) Chamberlain to Brentford for Norgaard, to Palace for Kouyate,

Maybe I can do better though.

@les Habs to Barca for Sergi Roberto? Or Dest if y’all don’t have a use for him anymore

I know Chamberlain, but I don’t know the other guys well enough to comment.

Sergi’s contract is up this Summer so for me he’s not eligible because someone can just sign him for nothing right now. I don’t think Dest is for sale anymore. If they were to offload him I think it would just be to raise funds.

Rabiot has the talent to be such a world class player. He's just lazy and passive. He's getting the minutes because he doesn't get injured.

So would you do the swap with Ndombele then?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Some other players I thought might make good candidates:

Lukaku
Werner
Pepe
Bergwijn
Rashford
Leon Bailey
Fabio Silva
Soumare
Mertens
Bennacer
Ibrahimovic
Sanchez
Vidal
Bernadeschi
Sandro
Kean
Ilicic
Belotti
Lenglet
Lamela
Sabitzer
Olmo
Henrichs
Wijnaldum
Draxler
Icardi
Milik

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Only two names on that list I’m taking a chance on are Olmo And Rashford. Seems pretty obvious what happened there. Olmo didn’t get his move to Barca and he fell out of favor. Still have to believe in the talent there though. Rashford needs a psychologist and to get the hell out of Manchester. Sabitzer interesting name too. Opposite of Olmo, got his move and realized the grass wasn’t greener

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad