Rumor: Flames will not trade Jacob Markstrom before trade deadline

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Sounds like Markstrom may want out. He spoke highly of Tanev (everyone does) and was recruited by Lindholm. I think he was emotional today when asked questions, but that’s a tough spot to be in if your management. As a nucks fan, I am not entirely sure what has happened in Calgary the last couple years that has set this all off, but it seems to have some residue and it might need a scorched earth to clean it all up.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Honestly if they could get Holtz for him I want the trade now. We are trying to build a younger team and having 2 goalies ahead of Wolf is hurting his development. Wolf has proven everything at the AHL level and in order to grow he needs to play NHL games. I would even trade for Knight and go with a Wolf/Knight tandem and save money in the Goalie position. Vladar has shown he’s very capable backup this year. He’s had some strong games against some very good teams. I’m ok with keeping him but I’d like to build for the future. Tank now to build a better future.

Last edited:

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Sounds like Markstrom may want out. He spoke highly of Tanev (everyone does) and was recruited by Lindholm. I think he was emotional today when asked questions, but that’s a tough spot to be in if your management. As a nucks fan, I am not entirely sure what has happened in Calgary the last couple years that has set this all off, but it seems to have some residue and it might need a scorched earth to clean it all up.
I believe there were 2 players maybe 3 that created a poor locker room culture. There were guys who had 1 foot out the door and weren’t committed to the team here. I think Sutter had rubbed some ppl the wrong way and that toxicity is still created a rift. Zadorov spoke about it before his trade. What is best for Calgary is to create a new culture with younger guys. Get the old culture out now. I do hope Markstrom asks for a trade (quietly) before the deadline because it gives Wolf and Vladar an opportunity to grow as players and be part of building a better culture

Bond

May 10, 2012
Trade Markstrom. Flames need to be a bottom ten team next year

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Makes sense.

If they trade Markstrom, then guys like Zadorov, Lindholm, and Tanev may take it hard.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Sounds like NJ and Markstrom want this deal to happen and Conroy haggling over retention. That outburst by Markstrom will definitely put pressure on the Flames now

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sounds like NJ and Markstrom want this deal to happen and Conroy haggling over retention. That outburst by Markstrom will definitely put pressure on the Flames now
Pretty sure Conroy wants Mercer instead of Holtz. Conroy wants centers and Markstrom is the Flames best chip on the table.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
You're right it is no different than any other long term UFA contract for a 30+ year which is where it generally looks good at the beginning and turns to dogshit towards the end.
If it helps a team win a cup or two its always worth it. And when I look at NJ I see a team who is desperate need of a goalie. I would think one of the leagues best is well worth the investment

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Im mean im fine with holtz but wheres he gonna play? Calgary such too many wingers as is
You're not wrong. Mangiapane has a year left. This team needs to draft a C round 1 this year. We needed to last year too, but no. We go ahead and draft a 3rd line winger with Moore, ASP and Ritchie still on the board.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You're not wrong. Mangiapane has a year left. This team needs to draft a C round 1 this year. We needed to last year too, but no. We go ahead and draft a 3rd line winger with Moore, ASP and Ritchie still on the board.
Its beyond mangi too, because even if we move him we still got one of kuzmenko, holtz, pelts playing 4th line mins (huska loves hunt for whatever reason), sharangovich should be a winger too. Its such an unfortunate logjam idk who else u move in this case.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If it helps a team win a cup or two its always worth it. And when I look at NJ I see a team who is desperate need of a goalie. I would think one of the leagues best is well worth the investment
That's always said but Hellebuyuck wouldn't have guaranteed a cup. There wasn't even a guarantee he'd have been more helpful to winning a cup than Mercer at 900k.

For example, Jarry and Adin hill have been excellent. Both were available in free agency.

Would we have been better off with Jarry+Mercer or Helle+Random scrub, or Hill+Mercer or Helle+Random scrub?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Its beyond mangi too, because even if we move him we still got one of kuzmenko, holtz, pelts playing 4th line mins (huska loves hunt for whatever reason), sharangovich should be a winger too. Its such an unfortunate logjam idk who else u move in this case.
I agree. Kuzmenko just doesn't really factor in the equation for me. If he needs to eat popcorn until he's a free agent I'm fine with it. What we need is one of Zary or Pospisil to become a center. That would be an important development. I hope we send Zary down to work on it for the Wranglers playoff run.

I actually like Hunt. Not in a 1st line role, but he hits and has enough skill to play.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
That's always said but Hellebuyuck wouldn't have guaranteed a cup. There wasn't even a guarantee he'd have been more helpful to winning a cup than Mercer at 900k.

For example, Jarry and Adin hill have been excellent. Both were available in free agency.

Would we have been better off with Jarry+Mercer or Helle+Random scrub, or Hill+Mercer or Helle+Random scrub?
I can guarantee you Helle would put NJ much much closer to a cup than Mercer would given how the Devils are constructed right now. Without a doubt. Again, he is a top 3 goalie in the entire league, front runner for the Vezina and showing no signs if slowing down.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I can guarantee you Helle would put NJ much much closer to a cup than Mercer would given how the Devils are constructed right now. Without a doubt. Again, he is a top 3 goalie in the entire league, front runner for the Vezina and showing no signs if slowing down.
Not replacing Vanacek was a mistake. I do not believe moving mercer would have been the answer.

Helle looks very good at age 30. That is no guarantee he looks good for the next 8 years.

Jarry and Adin Hill also look very good, both of whom could have been had while keeping Mercer.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Not replacing Vanacek was a mistake. I do not believe moving mercer would have been the answer.

Helle looks very good at age 30. That is no guarantee he looks good for the next 8 years.

Jarry and Adin Hill also look very good, both of whom could have been had while keeping Mercer.

And why was Vegas trading the goalie they just won a cup with?

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And why was Vegas trading the goalie they just won a cup with?
Adin Hill was an unrestricted free agent. With the tampering that inevitably goes on it would have been quite easy to give Hill more term and/or money. Same with Jarry, also a UFA.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Wow, are people still whining about Hellebuyck? Jets fans need to move on, he is helping them stay relevant.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Adin Hill was an unrestricted free agent. With the tampering that inevitably goes on it would have been quite easy to give Hill more term and/or money. Same with Jarry, also a UFA.

He didn’t make it to July 1 they signed him before he hit free agency. You’re saying NJD is dumb for not tampering and offering him more?

What makes you think Hill would have even wanted to leave Vegas for a bit more money

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He didn’t make it to July 1 they signed him before he hit free agency. You’re saying NJD is dumb for not tampering and offering him more?

What makes you think Hill would have even wanted to leave Vegas for a bit more money
Again he was 1 example. Jarry was also an option.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
It might be too late but the Devils should have seriously considered Markstrom a couple of weeks ago.
Yup. He'd have them in the playoffs by now. And you never know once you're in.
Not making it this year has to be considered a big setback for the Devils.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I get why they drafted Samuel Honzek but you are down on him ironically for the same reason Ritchie slipped and the Flames didn't need ASP in their system and Moore looks more like a middle 6 center than a top 6 one.

Alot of teams passed over Ritchie and they will be sorry if he pans out.

Yup. He'd have them in the playoffs by now. And you never know once you're in.
Not making it this year has to be considered a big setback for the Devils.
To me it's not just making the playoffs but giving the young guys a taste and then knowing what they need to work on.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad