Seravalli: Flames will be buyers at this year's deadline, they want the cup.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
What it can really play against and for Calgary is Game in hand
They are 6 pts under LAK and they got 3 game in hand
But Colorado Minessotta and Nashville got 2 game in hand
No Western Conference team are sure to make playoff due to game in hand.
The Standing will not be like now at the season ending.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It does make sense for them to gamble. They went all in and the roster has a window that will close as their top players age.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He won't be fired, he's in the last year of his contract. If Calgary owners want to move on they will just let it expire
Which is the same as firing him.

Seems like typical Oilers wishful fantasy. Based on his recent interview, there's a strong indication he's simply not going to do anything at all.
Has he often shown his cards in interviews before the trade deadline in the past. I only recall one idiot GM doing that in the last 20 years and he wasn't a GM for long.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is this surprising to people? Clearly their roster isn't built for tanking, they have far too many good players and vets, so of course you try to win instead of doing nothing. If they were going for something else, they wouldn't have made the moves they made in the offseason.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This would be epically stupid, but a typical Flames move. They’re nowhere close to being contenders.

If they start dumping prospects for more old, crappy over-rated has-beens I’m done with them.
The West is wide open. No reason for the Flames to sit idle. You've got a year and a half before a good chunk of your core becomes UFAs, not unlike the Jets situation.

Who is the favourite in the West?

Dallas? Flames beat them last year.

Seattle? Is anyone really afraid of the Kraken in a 7 game series?

Jets? I think the Flames matchup well against the Jets, that would be a good series.

Colorado? I think the Flames would have the advantage in a series against the Avs, if they were healthy, based on their strength up the middle.

Edmonton is probably their nemesis. And who knows they could still meet as the #2 and #3 seeds in the Pacific the way L.A and Vegas are having some struggles.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The West is wide open. No reason for the Flames to sit idle. You've got a year and a half before a good chunk of your core becomes UFAs, not unlike the Jets situation.

Who is the favourite in the West?

Dallas? Flames beat them last year.

Seattle? Is anyone really afraid of the Kraken in a 7 game series?

Jets? I think the Flames matchup well against the Jets, that would be a good series.

Colorado? I think the Flames would have the advantage in a series against the Avs, if they were healthy, based on their strength up the middle.

Edmonton is probably their nemesis. And who knows they could still meet as the #2 and #3 seeds in the Pacific the way L.A and Vegas are having some struggles.
I still think the Avs when healthy are a far superior team to anyone else in the West. They are probably still the best team in the league. They also have room for 2 significant additions. I just don't think we have the pop we had last year. Our blueline is also worse. Kylington basically is replaced by Weegar, but Stone certainly isn't Gudbransson. Then you add it Markstrom being an elite goalie last year and a below average backup this year and it's not a great picture. Only our center position has gotten better.

Reactions: Alienblood

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I still think the Avs when healthy are a far superior team to anyone else in the West. They are probably still the best team in the league. They also have room for 2 significant additions. I just don't think we have the pop we had last year. Our blueline is also worse. Kylington basically is replaced by Weegar, but Stone certainly isn't Gudbransson. Then you add it Markstrom being an elite goalie last year and a below average backup this year and it's not a great picture. Only our center position has gotten better.
Losing Kadri and Burakovsky is a big chunk of offense from the Avs team. And it is still yet to be seen whether Georgiev can replace Kuemper in the playoffs. I mean bringing Landeskog back helps, and they are a legit team, but with $70M in Cap space invested in 14 players going into next year, there's not a lot of flexibility, and they've traded a lot of draft picks to get to the point where they are. Hard to see the Avs giving up a 1st for a rental, although maybe a Dylan Larkin puts them back in the same spot they were in last year...

I expect the Flames to do something at the deadline, but yes the goaltending is the big question mark, not just for you guys though. I sure hope you put Vegas behind you in the standings.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary will add, but I don't think it'll be massively.
Watch for discounted offensive pieces. I don't think the 1st is on the table, and neither are the big prospects.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Has he often shown his cards in interviews before the trade deadline in the past. I only recall one idiot GM doing that in the last 20 years and he wasn't a GM for long.
He's been relatively honest as far as I can remember.

Last year it was pretty he was looking to add something, but only if the price made sense. This year, it's a straight up it doesn't make sense to buy unless you solidly in a playoff spot. The Flames aren't even in a playoff spot at all.

Most likely, some minor depth additions like a defenseman but only if Kylington doesn't come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad