GDT: Flames @ Wild - 5 November

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
That was just plain awful... But optimistically, we're doing a lot better this season than anyone expected

486880_1825592280206_1056167821_n.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Welp, I only caught the third period of this one, and boy, this is the first time this season I've seen our team completely throw away their game plan. I don't know if it was the loss of Glencross and the resulting shakeup of the lines or what, but as soon as they scored the third goal, we completely lost the plot. The worst part is that we let them get some Harlem Globetrotters goals that can be extremely demoralizing.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The Good

-games in the eastern time zone, not even 9 o'clock yet.

The Bad

-Coaching. Hartley, your line combos sucked. Your team looked unprepared. Benching Baertschi blew up in your face. Again.

The Ugly

-TJ Galiardis' shift on the second goal. TWO boneheaded plays in less than 5 seconds..........
-Special teams, might also go under coaching.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I'd say a bit of both. Maybe more in the hung out to dry. Really, he was one of 19 players that played poorly.

I saw some pretty stellar saves and only 1 goal that I'd say he should've had. I think this game could have gone a lot worse, had he not been as good as he was. Which is a testament to how bad the team was.

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
Well Berra made you guys lose your boner pretty fast.
With that being said, any goalie would get wrecked with such a weak defensive in front of him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd say a bit of both. Maybe more in the hung out to dry. Really, he was one of 19 players that played poorly.

I don't even know if I'd say he played poorly. He could have prevented the first goal by tracking the puck better, but he made a truly amazing save on Parise on the second goal before Zac knocked in the rebound. The third goal was a seeing-eye shot through a screen, and was saveable, but I wouldn't call it a bad goal. The fourth goal was a two-on-one which was saveable, but again hardly a bad goal. It was side to side and then a quick shot, and he had to be thinking about the guy on the opposite side at the same time. The fifth was the very definition of being hung out to dry. I would have preferred to see Ramo in after the fourth goal.

By the way, we are now 0-2 when we scratch Baertschi, and 0-3 when we scratch one of our top-9 forwards (Baertschi or Backlund). If Hartley's doing this to try to win games, you'd think he'd get the message soon to ice the best roster available. If you need to do video with Sven, do it during one of the 9 hours before the game.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I don't even know if I'd say he played poorly. He could have prevented the first goal by tracking the puck better, but he made a truly amazing save on Parise on the second goal before Zac knocked in the rebound. The third goal was a seeing-eye shot through a screen, and was saveable, but I wouldn't call it a bad goal. The fourth goal was a two-on-one which was saveable, but again hardly a bad goal. It was side to side and then a quick shot, and he had to be thinking about the guy on the opposite side at the same time. The fifth was the very definition of being hung out to dry. I would have preferred to see Ramo in after the fourth goal.

By the way, we are now 0-2 when we scratch Baertschi, and 0-3 when we scratch one of our top-9 forwards (Baertschi or Backlund). If Hartley's doing this to try to win games, you'd think he'd get the message soon to ice the best roster available. If you need to do video with Sven, do it during one of the 9 hours before the game.

Those side to sides on a 2 on 1 though, the goalie has to commit to the shot, it's the defenseman's job to make sure that pass doesn't get across, and if it does, and the goalie stops it, its a great save, if he doesn't, the only person to blame is the defenceman who didn't take away the pass. The goalie has to commit to the shot fully, because there is a very real possibility he could shoot, and if that goes in, it is solely on the goalies shoulders.

Whether or not that first goal was saveable is questionable. Sure he could have stopped it, but it would have been an incredible save, and you can't EXPECT goalies to make those. If they do, that's awesome, but if they don't it is what it is. The D or the winger should have picked him up.

But on top of all that, I'd say he made 7 or 8 truly awesome saves, and those are shots that could very well have gone in on any other goalie. Not saying they would just that I don't know I'd blame him if they did.

TylerSVT*

Everytime Sven gets benched all he learns is that the Flames cannot play without him.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Backlunds fault, bench him ;)

Flames completely fell apart in the third. The powerplay needs to be fixed and quickly. Obviously what they are doing now isn't working. I'd like to see Backlund and Sven out there together on the second unit to see what they can do.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
To be honest the fact that we're 15 games into the season and have only really had two blowout games (Dallas, Tonight) is something of a miracle considering where we thought this roster was headed before the season started.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I'm not sure what the issue is, but Hartley really needs to stop scratching Sven. We get blown out as soon as he does.

Kind of glad I missed this one. Looks like another stinker. First goal was some nice passing between Hudler and Bouma though.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I really don't think Berra was bad. He made some really incredible saves, and looked very calm back there. He didn't receive any useful support pretty much all game.

He wasn't as bad as his numbers suggested but he wasn't Chicago good either.

No one really had a good game. We can't seem to handle the puck in our own end and we don't have the goaltenders (except the Chicago game) that make an amazing save to wake the team up.

Actually I don't think everyone was terrible as Hudler and Bouma played some solid hockey. Colborne's line got light up, Backlund's line didn't look great but then again he played with Jackman and McGrattan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad