GDT: Flames vs Red wings 5:00 MT

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Happy for Marksy, would've sucked to not get one more SO on a game like this.

And Chucky still pilling up the points. Glad Johnny got a point (wished for more) and Lindy got his 30th. Tuff Titties with one too. And Stoner getting a point is nice to see.

All in all a great game!

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
jerry-seinfeld-seinfield.gif

Classy stuff at the end of the game with Dean Morton.
What can ya say. Just a great game by everyone, really. Dominant performance.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Did you guys catch Johnny poking Dylan Larkin with his stick until Larkin grabbed it away and skated off with it? Happened during the hand shakes.

Didn't see that. Very odd. Was it purposeful on Johnny's part? Seems inflammatory on Dylan's part.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
First game I've taken in this season. Professional job, Mike Stone stepped in well. Monahan also with a monster hit

Regular season is too long, let's get to the playoffs already.

Also, this update is big trash

Monahan and the 4th line actually had a good 2nd half of the game IMO. Didn't really pay close enough attention to them in the 1st period.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I also think Lucic could use a week or two off. I think he can offer something in the playoffs but the gas tank is on empty. Let him rest and let's play some kids for some of these games ahead

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
What a game. I think even those most hyped up for a Toffoli addition wouldn't have guessed he'd be point per game for the Flames at this point in the season. Insane how seamlessly he's walked onto this roster and made such a gigantic impact. Just taking over for Ritchie the bar was "1 point" but he has tied Monahan in goals with the Flames this season, and could reasonably be a top 5/6 goal scorer from the deadline on compared to the rest of the teams whole seasons. Just insane stuff from him even if half of it is predicated on the powerplay.

Figure Kylington comes in tomorrow, or at least I'd think. Practiced yesterday, gets an offday today against Detroit, then is rested in a 5 in 7 stretch for the 2nd best team in the west. Also, once again impressed by Monahan (Dube has also been good for sure) with how he has elevated physical play and overall been a lot more of a presence with takeaways and overall smart offensive plays, though I was not a fan of the Witkowski hit he threw. Still not ready to buy in on the "he's back" narrative but if after every game I think "he needs to do this again for me to buy in" and he keeps doing it again, eventually I'll have to concede he's good lol.

Now for go get Jarnkrok or Lehkonen to play with Backlund and Coleman and we're set with a Phillips call-up for good measure.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I also think Lucic could use a week or two off. I think he can offer something in the playoffs but the gas tank is on empty. Let him rest and let's play some kids for some of these games ahead

I'd agree with you on the larger body of work, and I have to admit I didn't pay as close to him as I could have in the first half of the game, but I did think he had a decent 2nd half of the game. Had that fight and actually was part of some decent control time and chances in their end in the 2nd half. Still might not be a bad idea to give him a rest.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not sure if Flames good or the Red Wings reeeaaaallly bad but that one felt a little too easy. Defensive clinic from the home side. Particularly liked the Ruzicka line in this one.

Great : Rasmus Andersson was fantastic in this game. Lindholm as well top quality, probably should have had at least one more goal. Mangiapane didn't show up on the score sheet but man he drives offense so so well. Tenacious. Will be interesting to see what his next contract looks like. I'll put Mony up here as well, moving his feet and keeping possessions alive. Even laying the body.

Good : Tkachuk & Gaudreau, did mostly whatever they wanted offensively, Johnny has some awesome NZ play. Markstrom wasn't busy but yet another shutout. Gudbranson, Ruzicka, Tanev, Backlund, Dube all very solid. Toffoli this guy f***s. Lots of chances and a nice finish on the PP.

Not bad : Zadorov mostly good, really has to rein in his stick though. Lewis exists and does his job.

Just ok : I know Coleman scored but thought this was kind of a sleepy game from him, couple poor turnovers at the defensive blue line and missing passes. Might be missing Mangiapane. Hanifin several bad reads and needless icings. Lucic, get the puck out man. Punched face and hit stuff. Stone about what you would expect, did reasonably well for his first game since December.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I thought it was a mistake playing Markstrom in this game instead of Vladar... but WTF do I know.
I thought that if Marky played tonight it was a given that Vladar would have to face Colorado tomorrow night.

However, after only facing 19 shots tonight I'm sure Marky will be in net tomorrow. Sutter is obviously a clairvoyant genius.

1 SOG in the 1st
4 SOG in the 2nd
and then a nice 14 SOG in the 3rd as a warmup for the Colorado game

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was obviously getting ahead of myself, but through the first 40 I was hoping Markstrom could record a shutout with fewer than 9 saves. It would likely be the first time in NHL history that a goalie had more shutouts than saves made in one of the shutouts.

Reactions: flames23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad