GDT: Flames vs. le Club de hockey Canadien, October 23, 5:30 PM MT, SNET-Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yay, let's use an entire team's failure to throw our favourite whipping boys under the bus!

Flames need to be better in the third. I'm sure they will be.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
For a team that wants to play fast, we look so f***ing slow.

Also back at the replay, what a stupid pass by Monahan on that third goal

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
For a team that wants to play fast, we look so ****ing slow.

Also back at the replay, what a stupid pass by Monahan on that third goal

Took a weird bounce off the boards, and Lindholm and Gaudreau had already started leaving the zone. Horrible all around for that line there

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
FWIW, Rittich has played well this game, but goals 1 and 3 were ones that Mike Smith would be blamed for by at least a few voices on our board.

That's just a period that got away from the Flames as a team. Not because of any one player, but the whole team was skating uphill. I thought the referees helped for sure, calling the Flames at every opportunity while overlooking several stick infractions from the Habs, and the Flames did get some bad luck (stick breaking, weird bounce on the bank leading to the Drouin goal), but overall they were not up to speed with the Habs.

Disappointing looking back that Lindholm almost made it 2-0!

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Sorry gang. Midnight shift worker from Ontario, and I just woke up.
Put on the stream 1-0 Flames. Well, I swear a lot of the times I curse things when I tune in.
Just like that 3-1.
I should just go back to bed, but I have to work. I blame me, but I see everyone's saying the effort hasn't been there. I see the lopsided shot count.
Sigh.
Need a big 3rd.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You're right, what was I thinking! I shouldn't have told the boys not to show up for the first two periods tonight!

I'll do better next time.

Did you see the rangers game? Seriously, this team is not willing to play until they have too, and it's really starting to drive me crazy.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
FWIW, Rittich has played well this game, but goals 1 and 3 were ones that Mike Smith would be blamed for by at least a few voices on our board.
Not that I'm in the business of regularly blaming Smith for a goal against, but goal 1 was one we saw with Markstrom in game 2 (the Gio goal) and is probably a result of the new goalie equipment regulations.

Goal 3 was one Rittich would probably like to have back, but he saves about 10 grade-A chances already so he can get a pass for that one.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Sure, but Rittich is still posting a .912 in this game unless I'm mistaken. Which games does Smith have over a .900 SV% and was anyone complaining in those games specifically?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

!

I dont remember Smith being blamed when the team was playing this badly.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Now this is the question, do I watch the 3rd of the Flames game or just stick with the World Series?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not that I'm in the business of regularly blaming Smith for a goal against, but goal 1 was one we saw with Markstrom in game 2 (the Gio goal) and is probably a result of the new goalie equipment regulations.

Goal 3 was one Rittich would probably like to have back, but he saves about 10 grade-A chances already so he can get a pass for that one.
I feel like we've become desensitized to the grade-A saves Mike Smith makes after his opening to the season last year. Rittich was a guy without the high expectations this year, so when he makes a huge save, we all sit up and take notice. Smith makes outstanding saves at this point and we say "phew, they didn't score."

I think what we're really seeing this game is that goaltending isn't the issue with this team. There are games where the team can play a lot better, because there are games where we're bleeding quality chances.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad