GDT: Flames @ Vancouver | October 15th | We welcome our fly overlords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
sorry if its been discussed, but will Tkachuk almost certainly stay up this year?
Most people think yes, but personally I don't think he has been good enough to stay up. He hasn't looked out of place, but that is not enough.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
sorry if its been discussed, but will Tkachuk almost certainly stay up this year?

I think he will. Our depth on the wing is brutal and I can't see any better options.

Tkachuk is physically strong enough to play and I've liked what I've seen. He style of play really fills a need on our team. Ideally I think he should go back to Jr, but I doubt it will happen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he will. Our depth on the wing is brutal and I can't see any better options.

Tkachuk is physically strong enough to play and I've liked what I've seen. He style of play really fills a need on our team. Ideally I think he should go back to Jr, but I doubt it will happen.
He should never stay up just because of our depth. If it is better for his development to be in the OHL, then he should be.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I vote to send him back to junior for more development.

We dont need another Lance Bouma on the team. We need Tkachuk to develop into a star winger.

The team has many holes still, Tkachuk is not going to make a difference this year. We are on our way to a Nolan Patrick cup

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Most people think yes, but personally I don't think he has been good enough to stay up. He hasn't looked out of place, but that is not enough.

I too think he gets sent back down. Recall Hamilton. Put Stajan on the wing, have Hamilton center the 4th line.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He should never stay up just because of our depth. If it is better for his development to be in the OHL, then he should be.

To me this is the identical situation that Monahan was in. I think ideally both should have went back. But Tkachuk is mature enough, I don't think it'll harm his development at all. He's playing in key situations and holding his own. You're right, but I still think he stays.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
To me this is the identical situation that Monahan was in. I think ideally both should have went back. But Tkachuk is mature enough, I don't think it'll harm his development at all. He's playing in key situations and holding his own. You're right, but I still think he stays.

Except Monahan had like 9 goals at the minimum between pre-season and his first 9 games. Tkachuk was playing on the fourth line last night. If they are going to play him there he should go back.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Similar, sure. Identical? No, Monahan forced the teams hand to keep him by showing he can produce in the NHL with 6 goals and 9 points in his first 9 games. Tkachuk to be honest hasn't looked any better than not out of place, he certainly doesn't look like a 2nd liner as he is currently being deployed.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Except Monahan had like 9 goals at the minimum between pre-season and his first 9 games. Tkachuk was playing on the fourth line last night. If they are going to play him there he should go back.

Exactly what I'm thinking, if we're gonna give him 4th line minutes, it would be better for his development to go back to the OHL

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Similar, sure. Identical? No, Monahan forced the teams hand to keep him by showing he can produce in the NHL with 6 goals and 9 points in his first 9 games. Tkachuk to be honest hasn't looked any better than not out of place, he certainly doesn't look like a 2nd liner as he is currently being deployed.

I agree. Keep him for the 9 games and see how he has progressed. After that though I think it'll likely be better to have him back in juniors.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
At this point, hes got much more to gain in terms of development in London tha he does in Calgary, and that is what the decision should be based upon, not the fact that we lack impact wingers in our top 6.

He hasn't been bad at all, but he hasn't shown without a doubt that he is ready to be an NHL player.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
At this point, hes got much more to gain in terms of development in London tha he does in Calgary, and that is what the decision should be based upon, not the fact that we lack impact wingers in our top 6.

He hasn't been bad at all, but he hasn't shown without a doubt that he is ready to be an NHL player.

We can also insert Shinkaruk in the top 6 if Tkachuk is sent down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We can also insert Shinkaruk in the top 6 if Tkachuk is sent down.
I was going to say the same thing. With how Tkachuk has played, I would argue Shinkaruk last year in his call-up was better so lack of depth shouldn't be an issue. Plus if need be there is always waivers.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the only thing Tkachuk hasn't done is score, but neither has Bennett yet. Tkachuk's skating hasn't really been an issue to me, his defensive play has seemed fine. I've seen him generate scoring chances each game which is probably biggest thing I've been looking for, and he's never looked in over his head to me. The points will eventually come, I also think it's refreshing to see the intangibles in his game he brings. It's sad when a 19 year old is your more disruptive player but we are missing that element so bad.

Honestly I don't see how he goes down.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Burke had a rule where junior eligible prospects had to average 15 minutes a night or they're sent down. Don't know whether Treliving has the same but through three games, Tkachuk is averaging about 12 and a half minutes.

Unless things pick up for both him and the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent down pretty soon.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Burke had a rule where junior eligible prospects had to average 15 minutes a night or they're sent down. Don't know whether Treliving has the same but through three games, Tkachuk is averaging about 12 and a half minutes.

Unless things pick up for both him and the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent down pretty soon.

2nd highest TOI for LW on the team, don't read too much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad