Speculation: Flames Untouchables

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean, I'd honestly say, going into next year:
Monahan & Gaudreau should be the only real guys that I'd consider untouchable. They have such star potential, you'd be kicking yourself for years if you went Young Potential star for proven star, just to have one break-out and the star you traded for diminish in value.

This doesn't mean I think Calgary should trade someone like TJ Brodie or Giordano, I just think that if that price was too sweet to resist, you pull the trigger on it. I understand the idea of like 'oh, you're saying if someone offered 5 first round picks, you wouldn't trade JG?!' but I also think that's an incredibly stupid argument. I'm talking real hockey trades. I don't think there's a real hockey trade that I'd be comfortable losing Monahan or JG..
On the other hand, if someone like the Canes offered their first rounder this year, for someone like Backlund, I think I do this trade (clearly they wouldn't but this is what I'm talking about, overpayment wise).

I think Calgary's real value comes from their wing depth and mid-range D-man depth (we have far too many middle-pairing D-men).
Guys like:
Hudler, Jones, Glencross; Smid, Russell and Wideman should all get a sniff by other teams for a real hockey deal (not for useless scraps, as other fans like to offer; 'oh, here's my 9th and 11th rated prospects, give us Hudler'.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Untouchable (read:should only trade as a last resort and only for a ma-haa-haaa-sive overpayment)
Monahan, Giordano, Gaudreau, Brodie, Gillies, 2015 first

Don't wanna move, but available for the right price:
Backlund, 2014 1st, Russell, Poirier, Ortio

Available:
All other players prospects & draft picks

Take my wife, please!
Wideman, Jones, Galiardi

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
While I agree Giordano is untouchable now I feel like that should change in the next two years. He is 30 and unless we make real progress next season it's gonna be 4 years before we are legitimate contenders in my opinion. Or more.

In my opinion if we still are basement dwellers this next season and Giordano has another very solid year. Maybe next summer or the season of 15-16 management should be trying to get the maximum value they can out of Giordano in future assets, not wait until the last minute like we did with iginla.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
While I agree Giordano is untouchable now I feel like that should change in the next two years. He is 30 and unless we make real progress next season it's gonna be 4 years before we are legitimate contenders in my opinion. Or more.

In my opinion if we still are basement dwellers this next season and Giordano has another very solid year. Maybe next summer or the season of 15-16 management should be trying to get the maximum value they can out of Giordano in future assets, not wait until the last minute like we did with iginla.

Or keep Gio and not trade him

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I was honestly happy when Kipper refused to get traded, and retired a Flame. If Gio did the same, that'd be good with me. We need more guys that will go down in Flames history, like the players of yore.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If I had a list of untouchables, mine are:
1. Giordano - Team captain, team leader, has played really well, especially on a rebuilding team with little talent
2. Monahan - Franchise player (or at least one of them)
3. Gaudreau - Going to be a top player in the league in a few years. Hope he and Sean find some great chemistry
4. McGrattan - Don't need to even explain why he is, hope he retires a Flame
5. Brodie - (wouldn't be a couple of years when his value is up and teams can possibly overpay)

-Bouma (our warrior) and Backlund (value's gone up, same reason as Brodie).

Feb 23, 2014
Untouchables: Monahan, Giordano

Tier 2 (will only trade for certain price): Brodie, Backlund, Baertschi, Poirier, Gaudreau, Gillies, Ortio, Granlund, Bouma

JulianHopper*

With a new GM in Brad Treliving it's going to be interesting to see what he does. I like Giordano, Brodie and Monahan but at this point all options will more than likely be considered.

The fact is the Flames have to get better and for that you need better players. It's about getting the most value when making trades.

If Brad Treliving is going to improve the Flames via trades then some of best players on the roster as well as prospects will be moved. I think the Fames have a lot of prospects that will be traded along with roster players in package type deals.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Really? You would trade Gio for someone that MIGHT be as good as him? Gio is AT LEAST a legit #2 and wears his heart on the sleeve. He is exactly what you would call an untouchable in my opinion.

Just keep Giordano longer than needed like Iginla and get a diminished return then? What's Giordano's talent going to do on a bottom feeder? If the Flames can get someone like Brodin, Reinhart, Kulikov, etc. then pull the trigger.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Untouchables: Costner, Connery, Garcia

Really don't wanna trade: Giordano, Brodie, Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreau, 4th OA, Beartschi, Wotherspoon, Poirier, Klimchuk

May 27, 2012
Earth
Untouchables: Costner, Connery, Garcia

Really don't wanna trade: Giordano, Brodie, Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreau, 4th OA, Beartschi, Wotherspoon, Poirier, Klimchuk

Sven Bearstchi?

ice-skating-bear.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad