LOOKING TO MOVE

Wideman
Hudler
Smid

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
The only real untouchable is Monahan.

I'd like to throw TJ Brodie on that, but realistically everyone has a price.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Smid an untouchable? I doubt that. How can you label Poirier and Klimchuk as untouchables though? They haven't played a minute in the NHL. Prospects get traded for players and other prospects other time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"No one is ever really untouchable. If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded."
-Brian Burke

or at least something close to that

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
After his showing today, I'd like to assume Gaudreau is untouchable. PLEASE LET HIM BE UNTOUCHABLE.

It's pretty clear he can play at a pro level, leading the IIHF tourney in points kind of clear.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I feel like you are misinterpreting Burke's thoughts on Smid. Burke didn't make him untouchable he just tells other GM's who call that they don't want to trade him.

If that drove the price up significantly Smid would be gone instead teams kept low-balling and that's why none of the rumoured Smid trades went through.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like you are misinterpreting Burke's thoughts on Smid. Burke didn't make him untouchable he just tells other GM's who call that they don't want to trade him.

If that drove the price up significantly Smid would be gone instead teams kept low-balling and that's why none of the rumoured Smid trades went through.
Exactly, this approach is the difference between getting a 2nd for Berra and 3rd or 4th from Berra.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Gio, Monahan and Gaudreau I think and hope. Those are the guys with real game-breaking ability and no team is going to pay the price the Flames would be asking.

Brodie is awesome, but if he can be packaged for an improvement in D (a Hedman, OEL, Pietrangelo level guy) you do it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Burke already stated the untouchables; Giordano and Monahan

Not sure why there is a thread for this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Burke already stated the untouchables; Giordano and Monahan

Not sure why there is a thread for this.
He never said they were untouchable. He said they were as close as one can get to untouchable. But also said anyone can be traded if the right deal comes along.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
"No one is ever really untouchable. If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded."
-Brian Burke

or at least something close to that

Is it really necessary to point this out every time the discussion of "untouchables" comes up?

Sorry, I'm not jumping down you throat (or not trying too ;))

Just making an observation :nod:

Like isn't it just assumed that this is the case?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is it really necessary to point this out every time the discussion of "untouchables" comes up?

Sorry, I'm not jumping down you throat (or not trying too ;))

Just making an observation :nod:

Like isn't it just assumed that this is the case?
Exactly, so what's the point i talking about untouchables when nobody is truly untouchable.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
The better thread would probably who would Flames fans be worried about giving up at their current value.

I certainly don't think we could get realistically get enough to make losing Gio, Money, or Brodie worthwhile

I think Gaudreau's potential is as good as anyone's in the league and there's too much there to look forward too.

I think Backlund, Byron, and Bouma have shown a level of work ethic I don't think we'd replace if we traded them.

I think Baertschi and Sieloff (and Wideman) are currently sitting at the lowest value they may ever have and it would be a mistake to give up on them for minor pieces.

And I'm worried about becoming the Oilers; keeping at least 2 if not 3 of Stajan/Glencross/Cammy, and making sure Hartley stays on is a great way to keep everyone playing like a professional.

Who is on on the block for me?
Hudler, Russell/Smid (with a very solid offer), Galiardi, Butler.
and hopefully Wideman will show he's able to play 20mins of good hockey a night so we have options come deadline time next year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The better thread would probably who would Flames fans be worried about giving up at their current value.

I certainly don't think we could get realistically get enough to make losing Gio, Money, or Brodie worthwhile

I think Gaudreau's potential is as good as anyone's in the league and there's too much there to look forward too.

I think Backlund, Byron, and Bouma have shown a level of work ethic I don't think we'd replace if we traded them.

I think Baertschi and Sieloff (and Wideman) are currently sitting at the lowest value they may ever have and it would be a mistake to give up on them for minor pieces.

And I'm worried about becoming the Oilers; keeping at least 2 if not 3 of Stajan/Glencross/Cammy, and making sure Hartley stays on is a great way to keep everyone playing like a professional.

and hopefully Wideman will show he's able to play 20mins of good hockey a night so we have options come deadline time next year.

I pretty much tend to agree with all of this. I think trading Sven, especially right now would be foolish. There is no way we would get a return that is equivalent to his potential. Being that we are rebuilding, and will have lots of youth playing next season, we somewhat have a luxury to wait on Sven and hope he figures things out on the ice, upstairs, and health wise. I am very against trading assets while their value is low. Now, if he comes back and puts up 30pts in 50 games next year, and we could get a player like Larsson for him, then I'd be fine with that.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't see any major moves. Either we can't afford to lose guys or their value's are too low for a proper return.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Came here to offer my opinion, this is pretty much the perfect summary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad