Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Luke Philp to a 2 year Contract

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

200w.webp

That's Philping terrific. Heard some good things.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Since I’ve got some time during this intermission, I guess I could provide some more info since I’ve gotten to watch him a bunch:

He’s got good wheels but, I’d say his biggest strengths skating wise is edgework/quickness in tight spaces. That, plus his creativity and vision make it pretty rare that he didn’t create something every shift, even when nothing obviously dangerous was shaping up, mind you the competition is hard to compare. You can tell the hockey IQ is off the charts.

Played all situations at UAlberta, and interestingly put up 5 more points in 4 less games, despite playing with lower quality wingers this year (Magee and Pawlenchuk) compared to last year (Bailie, Sanford and Cox for the most part if memory serves).

Overall, very excited to see how he does in the AHL and I was hoping he’d choose Calgary.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Love this signing. You lose nothing if he doesn’t pan out. Great move to take the risk on a late bloomer

You lose money, resources, and a contract spot.

This kid skates well, but he's a long ways from ever being close to being considered an NHL player. Derek Ryan isn't the norm, and he had to etch out a career overseas for years, USports is a garbage league. You're better off making headlines and signing someone from the CWHL, because I think there are better individuals in that league than than there are in Usports. Heck, Decker plays for Calgary, and she has better wheels than Philp. I hope to eat crow, because I do like these underdog stories, but this really looks like a bad signing. Reminds me of the Ehliz signing but worse.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

This kid skates well, but he's a long ways from ever being close to being considered an NHL player. Derek Ryan isn't the norm, and he had to etch out a career overseas for years, USports is a garbage league. You're better off making headlines and signing someone from the CWHL, because I think there are better individuals in that league than than there are in Usports. Heck, Decker plays for Calgary, and she has better wheels than Philp. I hope to eat crow, because I do like these underdog stories, but this really looks like a bad signing. Reminds me of the Ehliz signing but worse.

lol

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

You can’t be serious? I had to read this twice because I actually couldn’t believe you typed this, and I’m not just using the figure of speech. I legitimately had to read it again because I couldn’t believe my eyes.

You realize that the Canadian women’s National team is only arguably a men’s midget AAA caliber team, right? Usports blows the CWHL out of the water.

You realize that Usports teams routinely play NCAA teams competitively, right?

You realize that the Usports all-stars beat the Canadian World Junior team in a best of three exhibition series this year, right?

Like, I get that these are older players, but the skill in Usports is apparent - far from “a garbage league”. These were all players who were high scoring and notable CHL players.

I really do wonder what your experience with the Usports level (or any level outside the NHL) is to come up with a take like that. Very limited I would guess.

This is a good signing, he has far more tools than just “skating well”, and if I had to handicap it, I’d say his odds of making it are just as good as any second tier NCAA FA signing.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Yeah the Canadian National team plays against Midget AAA teams to prep for tournaments and usually goes ~.500 so you’re way off. You’re also underrating USports. There’s an argument to be made that it’s taken less seriously than other leagues because most of the players consider their careers to be over but that’s on an individual basis it’s not team mentality or anything

Hell, there are a lot of players in USports that have pro experience in the ECHL, AHL and Europe

As for your take that it’s a waste of money and resources, I guarantee you that every team in the league has far worse players under contract than Luke Philp. They’re spending league minimum and using one contract spot, it’s about as little risk as you can take on a player who has looked great

Last edited:
Reactions: Janks

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You can’t be serious? I had to read this twice because I actually couldn’t believe you typed this, and I’m not just using the figure of speech. I legitimately had to read it again because I couldn’t believe my eyes.

You realize that the Canadian women’s National team is only arguably a men’s midget AAA caliber team, right? Usports blows the CWHL out of the water.

You realize that Usports teams routinely play NCAA teams competitively, right?

You realize that the Usports all-stars beat the Canadian World Junior team in a best of three exhibition series this year, right?

Like, I get that these are older players, but the skill in Usports is apparent - far from “a garbage league”. These were all players who were high scoring and notable CHL players.

I really do wonder what your experience with the Usports level (or any level outside the NHL) is to come up with a take like that. Very limited I would guess.

This is a good signing, he has far more tools than just “skating well”, and if I had to handicap it, I’d say his odds of making it are just as good as any second tier NCAA FA signing.

Looks like you can write a lot, maybe next time, before you get all long-winded; learn to read there skippy?

"signing someone from the CWHL, because I think there are better individuals in that league than than there are in Usports"

Better yet, watch some hockey there bud. I'd take Decker over Philp any day of the week. She's a better skater and passer, Philp doesn't do much else than that. Not only are you getting a better player in most facets of the game (had to highlight it since you can't read well there bud), you'd be a media darling and sell a lot of swag.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Yeah the Canadian National team plays against Midget AAA teams to prep for tournaments and usually goes ~.500 so you’re way off. You’re also underrating USports. There’s an argument to be made that it’s taken less seriously than other leagues because most of the players consider their careers to be over but that’s on an individual basis it’s not team mentality or anything

Hell, there are a lot of players in USports that have pro experience in the ECHL, AHL and Europe

As for your take that it’s a waste of money and resources, I guarantee you that every team in the league has far worse players under contract than Luke Philip. They’re spending league minimum and using one contract spot, it’s about as little risk as you can take on a player who has looked great

Re-read what I said. I didn't say the women's teams are better than the Usports teams, so that's a daft argument you're making.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Decent depth signing. Does anyone remember what the knock on him was during his draft years? He played on the Ice with Reinhart, so you know he got some pretty heavy viewing time.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Decent depth signing. Does anyone remember what the knock on him was during his draft years? He played on the Ice with Reinhart, so you know he got some pretty heavy viewing time.
No idea, but I mean, he was ranked 172 among NA skaters by Central Scouting, and 178 by Future Considerations. So I mean, he was never highly touted. Like, even in his CHL days (3,5 seasons with Kooteny, 1.5 with the "A", and half a season in Red Deer as their Captain) he was barely a point per game guy. I guess they figured he couldn't really carry a line, and didn't produce enough on his own to make up for his overall game?

Either way, it's not a bad deal. If he works out, we got a steal without a draft pick, if he doesn't, it's no different than signing any college or camp-invite player. At worst, he plays depth in the AHL, at best he proves he's an NHL talent. The reality is, if we get a guy to shore up our AHL team who can push the other younger guys (like Dube) down there, this contract is great, even if he never plays in the NHL.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Luke Philp - The Next Ones 2014 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Size, strength, skating and dzone/neutral zone awareness

EDIT:

Hmm how strange. To me, his game looks similar to Doc. It's so weird. His highlights looks like what Doc does here. Super unassuming, unimpressive but somehow effective due to high IQ. If he trains up additional skills, I could maybe see a bottom 6 utility guy like Doc or Stajan type career.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Re-read what I said. I didn't say the women's teams are better than the Usports teams, so that's a daft argument you're making.

Okay well signing a woman as a publicity stunt would be a waste of a contract spot and ressources. Signing Philp at the very worst gets you a guy who will probably be decent at the AHL level. Having a good AHL team is good for prospect development. Like I said low risk high reward

I get the feeling that responding to you is a waste of my time and ressources though

Last edited:
Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
BTW I think theres a typo in the title. I believe it's spelled Philp, like "filp"

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Looks like you can write a lot, maybe next time, before you get all long-winded; learn to read there skippy?

"signing someone from the CWHL, because I think there are better individuals in that league than than there are in Usports"

Better yet, watch some hockey there bud. I'd take Decker over Philp any day of the week. She's a better skater and passer, Philp doesn't do much else than that. Not only are you getting a better player in most facets of the game (had to highlight it since you can't read well there bud), you'd be a media darling and sell a lot of swag.
Maybe learn to read at a deeper than surface level then? My post was completely relevant, if you were able to understand the connection (which clearly you weren’t there skippy).

So I’ll spell it out in a direct question so you can understand the point: If the CWHL can’t hold Usports jock as a league, why would the top player in Usports have any comparison to one of the best female players?

It’s a really common misconception people have to assume the top female players are automatically better than male players in lesser leagues (and I genuinely have nothing against the femal game), but the top females would get eaten alive, even in the CHL.

As for Philp, the player himself, I think it’s quite clear you have probably never seen him play (at least I hope), because what you’re arguing about his skill level is absolutely embarrassing otherwise.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Okay well signing a woman as a publicity stunt would be a waste of a contract spot and ressources. Signing Philip at the very worst gets you a guy who will probably be decent at the AHL level. Having a good AHL team is good for prospect development. Like I said low risk high reward

I get the feeling that responding to you is a waste of my time and ressources though

It's Philp.

How so? The skill differential between someone like Decker and Philp is negligible. They both aren't going to be impact players. That's my point, it was a terrible signing. But at least one creates huge marketing and revenue potential. Thus me saying you're better off making headlines and going with someone from the CWHL. Hit me up this time next year, Philp will be a waste of a spot.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
It's Philp.

How so? The skill differential between someone like Decker and Philp is negligible. They both aren't going to be impact players. That's my point, it was a terrible signing. But at least one creates huge marketing and revenue potential. Thus me saying you're better off making headlines and going with someone from the CWHL. Hit me up this time next year, Philp will be a waste of a spot.

Are you a troll? Decker couldn’t play in the AHL. She’s just not good enough. Nobody in the CWHL is. They’re not even close. It’s been pointed out to you multiple times that the best female hockey players in the world struggle to beat Midget AAA teams

20+ NHL teams tried to sign Philp

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Maybe learn to read at a deeper than surface level then? My post was completely relevant, if you were able to understand the connection (which clearly you weren’t there skippy).

So I’ll spell it out in a direct question so you can understand the point: If the CWHL can’t hold Usports jock as a league, why would the top player in Usports have any comparison to one of the best female players?

It’s a really common misconception people have to assume the top female players are automatically better than male players in lesser leagues (and I genuinely have nothing against the femal game), but the top females would get eaten alive, even in the CHL.

As for Philp, the player himself, I think it’s quite clear you have probably never seen him play (at least I hope), because what you’re arguing about his skill level is absolutely embarrassing otherwise.

Because a single player's skill level isn't indicative of the team's skill level. Are you that daft? That's like arguing that because the Oilers can't hold the Flames jock this season, that McDavid isn't a better player than any Flame.

And no, I've seen Philp play a number of times at the AJHL level where he played with his brother Simon, to the WHL, and a hand full of games over the last few seasons. I don't watch a ton of USports because it's rarely a place where possible NHL talent can be found. Before Ryan, the last Usports player to make the show was Kearns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad