Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign D John Ramage to ELC

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
From above link:

I'm very happy to hear this. Another guy with good hockey IQ but is not the greatest skater.

Flames need to hire a skating coach and quick.
Or just start drafting players that can skate. Our management believes that is the easiest tool to teach in a player is skating, but I'm not so sure.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think Ramage will make a great bottom pairing D. Again, another prospect that has matured in the NCAA, brings leadership (Captain of Team USA U20 & Univ. Wisconsin 2yrs) and very physical.

Not every prospect has to have top6 - top4 potential.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Also, I love that he dramatically increased his offensive output this season...

8G - 12A.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think it's a bit of both.

Skating probably is the easiest thing that you can coach but I would like to see some more high end skaters on the team. There's a reason why Jay Bouw looked so good under Hartley's system and it's the same reason Brodie is getting his minutes.

Terrific skating.

That said hopefully Ramage gets a look and shows what he can bring.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Good news. Has a big body and can hit. Plus, he is a right handed player so that's a plus.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Makes guys like Sarich expendable. 6'1'', 200lbs. If he gets that skating in order, he's going to be an NHL Dman for a long time. Probably a bottom two guy, but on the higher echelon (not like a guy who plays 7 minutes a game because he can't put it together), but maybe later in his career he could move into a 4 spot. Depends on how his skating comes along.

Also makes me happy to have some more Flame blood in the team.

If you've never seen him play. Here's my favorite play of his.

Bomb City

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I think he may turn out to be a Chris Butler with an edge. That would be solid a number 5 defensemen. And the right-handed shot is nice to have as well. There's still some time to get some games in. I'd sit Butler and Carson and put in Ramage and Cundari. It would be nice to see some different faces on the backend.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
At the very least, the Heat need some help on the blueline. I'm glad they signed him though, so that it didn't become a "What if.." scenario, but I'm not sold on his pro upside yet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
excellent news. Looking forward to seeing Ramage & Wotherspoon in Abbotsford next year.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Boom. If he can land a monster hit in Abby or Calgary its worth the $90/900k or however much.

Aug 3, 2010
Does this put Calgary at 50 contracts with the Berra signing and now Ramage? I seem to recall that they were at 48 just recently.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I think he may turn out to be a Chris Butler with an edge. That would be solid a number 5 defensemen. And the right-handed shot is nice to have as well. There's still some time to get some games in. I'd sit Butler and Carson and put in Ramage and Cundari. It would be nice to see some different faces on the backend.

Butler has questionable hockey sense, I hope Ramage is better than that.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Excellent. There were more than few people earlier in the year thinking he wouldn't even be tendered a contract. I think he can turn out to be a 5th or maybe even a 4th defensemen with above average leadership qualities.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
He needs to greatly improve his skating if he wants to be an NHLer. Im rooting for him, but unless he fixes it, his ceiling is essentially Cory Sarich now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Butler has questionable hockey sense, I hope Ramage is better than that.

Questionable? Butler would reverse the puck behind our net even if all four of his team-mates were standing next to him, and all five of the opposition skaters were waiting in the other corner!

Frustratingly, I thought we had a good player in Butler when he first came over. He was on the top pairing with Bouwmeester, for crying out loud!

Anyway, if Ramage eventually provides what Sarich currently brings or better, I'll be ecstatic. Frankly, this year has really made me appreciate what Sarich contributes to the team.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
im actually alot higher on Ramage... alot higher than most ppl on this board lol

marijuana-leaf.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad