News Article: Flames prospect Tyler Parsons opens up about his mental health struggles: ‘I finally spoke up’

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Wow. I was already a fan of him and rooting for him to succeed, but after reading that it's hard not to get even more behind him.

I'm glad he got help. Mental health is such a bitch. I've had friends threatening suicide and had to talk them off the ledge. Depression can be so overwhelming. So him bouncing back so quickly is impressive as hell, and his play this year so far has really impressed too.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
My first thought was, "Why is it always the goalie?" Then I read the article. I have suffered from depression, and it's something we don't like to disclose, because people pigeonhole us as nutcases. See my first thought for evidence. His coming out on this, in my opinion, will absolutely encourage young people with emotional issues to seek help....He could very well have saved a life with this. Good man.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
My first thought was, "Why is it always the goalie?" Then I read the article. I have suffered from depression, and it's something we don't like to disclose, because people pigeonhole us as nutcases. See my first thought for evidence. His coming out on this, in my opinion, will absolutely encourage young people with emotional issues to seek help....He could very well have saved a life with this. Good man.

I believe he also suffered a concussion last year.

Thank for sharing and hope you're in a good place.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
f***ing massive Parsons fan now. Was before but now I’m all in on him. Go get em kid.

Takes so much strength to open up!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My first thought upon reading this was thinking about how many have commented that Parsons always seems like such a head-strong goaltender on the ice. Just goes to show you that a lot of people who suffer from mental illness can be remarkably good at hiding and masking it.

Good for Tyler to get the help he needs, speaking out about is so important both for him, and others who might feel like they are in a similar situation to him.

Definitely one more reason to root for the guy.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm good. The thing about depression, it comes and goes at any time. Once you realize it goes, you can manage it.
That's the only thing that concerns me about this piece. It sounds like Parsons is assuming he's just better. While he may be and with it being i jury related it may even be likely, but there is always a chance waves of depression come back.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That's the only thing that concerns me about this piece. It sounds like Parsons is assuming he's just better. While he may be and with it being i jury related it may even be likely, but there is always a chance waves of depression come back.

But on the other hand it sounds like he's more aware of how to deal with it and not to hide it, not to mention friends, family and the organization know to try and keep an eye out for it. I was pretty pleased that the article painted the Flames organization in a good light in the situation. I'd have been really unhappy if they handled it poorly.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

That's true. But there might be some comfort for him knowing the organization has his back 100%.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But on the other hand it sounds like he's more aware of how to deal with it and not to hide it, not to mention friends, family and the organization know to try and keep an eye out for it. I was pretty pleased that the article painted the Flames organization in a good light in the situation. I'd have been really unhappy if they handled it poorly.
Oh for sure. I'm just saying he needs to be aware of the possibility, because if he's not and it does come back, it could be even worse and harder to get out of that hole.

That's true. But there might be some comfort for him knowing the organization has his back 100%.
I hope so. I'm glad the Flames handled this well. This I believe is one of the areas they hired Big Ern for, to ensure the player gets the support they need

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Really rooting for the kid(especially after reading article), I have a sister who has mental illness and I know first hand how difficult it can be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really rooting for the kid(especially after reading article), I have a sister who has mental illness and I know first hand how difficult it can be.
that's second hand, first hand is experiencing it yourself

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Hmm... I dunno. In the article, it mentions he talks about things on a regular basis with Al (his step dad) as opposed to letting things brew. He also mentions that he sits down with the mental health pros to work on a it as soon as possible to "nip it in the bud", so that it cannot get out of hand.

This paired with the fact he feels he needs to be a messenger about getting help for mental help issues makes me feel that he has an idea how it's going as opposed to just assuming he's better. This paired up with an org that seems to be willing to focus on having good life habits (which led to the evolution of our training camp to do things like teach nutrition etc.) and beauties like Big Ern in the fold, I think it will be a positive one going forward. With other guys like Lehner openly talking about some of these things and Carcillo (dude might be misguided, but it seems it's working) whose tweets helped inspire Parsons to get help per the article, getting the help these guys need as opposed to just toughing it out will only get easier and quality of help only get better as more individuals learn how to help in more effective ways.

Though I will say, I don't understand depression as well as those with it nor medical professionals who specialize in depression, I'm just pointing at a few things that look like good pieces of evidence to me in terms of Parsons being ok going forward.

that's second hand, first hand is experiencing it yourself

He probably meant he has seen first hand how difficult it is.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Great way to get information on mental health out there shows the character Parsons brings to the org

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Glad we live in a time where people and males specifically can open up about the way they're feeling. There's going to be tough stretches in everyone's life and learning how to deal with those is a big part of growing up. Glad Tyler knows he doesn't have to do it alone and neither does anyone else. Help is easy to find if you can reach out. Huge advocate of therapy, hope to see Tyler continue with that and continue growing by kicking ass this year.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Great way to get information on mental health out there shows the character Parsons brings to the org

Glad we live in a time where people and males specifically can open up about the way they're feeling. There's going to be tough stretches in everyone's life and learning how to deal with those is a big part of growing up. Glad Tyler knows he doesn't have to do it alone and neither does anyone else. Help is easy to find if you can reach out. Huge advocate of therapy, hope to see Tyler continue with that and continue growing by kicking ass this year.

I don't believe we are trailblazers in that regard, but I seem to recall the focus on sobriety in terms of player development was a seriously good stepping stone in our org.

Having Big Ern to work on that player development was pretty huge for a serious problem that was quietly being ignored. There's quite a few guys who are quietly benefiting from having a guy like him to chat with. I view this mental health stuff as an extension to that. I agree with you guys and I'm glad it is working/seemingly easier for these guys to get the aid they need to get back on track.

Ferland
Poirier
Parsons

Looks like guys who have been helped a lot and back on track. I'm hope more guys who need the help get it (not saying I want a ton of these guys on the roster just for good stories sake).

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Having Big Ern to work on that player development was pretty huge for a serious problem that was quietly being ignored. There's quite a few guys who are quietly benefiting from having a guy like him to chat with.

I used to work at a drug and alcohol addictions treatment center and asked Big Ern to come in and speak with my group once. He was absolutely awesome, had some hilarious stories and some really good insights on how to live clean and sober and escape the dark hole addiction can put you in. Donated a bunch of stuff as well. Having him around a young group is definitely beneficial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad