Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames prospect rankings: #20

1. Matthew Tkachuk (73.81%)
2. Jon Gillies (54.00%)
3. Mark Jankowski (54.39%)
4. Oliver Kylington (45.95%:tiebreaker:61.54%)
5. Hunter Shinkaruk (60.98%)
6. Rasmus Andersson (52.17%)
7. Emile Poirier (35.00%:tiebreaker:59.52%)
8. Brandon Hickey (37.50%:tiebreaker:56.76%)
9. Andrew Mangiapane (44.19%)
10. Morgan Klimchuk (26.92%:tiebreaker:51.28%)
11. Brett Kulak (36.17%)
12. Mason McDonald (32.5%:tiebreaker:37.50%)
13. Tyler Wotherspoon (33.33%:tiebreaker:50.00%)
13. Brett Pollock (31.11%:tiebreaker:50.00%)
15. Dillon Dube (22.41%:tiebreaker:50.00%)
16. Tyler Parsons (30.00%:tiebreaker:40.48%)
17. Adam Fox (46.81%)
18. Eetu Tuulola (33.33%:tiebreaker:48.65%)
19. Linus Lindstrom (30.56%:tiebreaker:60.00%)

Run-off rules:
• If first and second place are separated by a number of votes less than or equal to the number of votes for third place, a run-off vote will take place.
• If first and third are separated by a number of votes less than the number of all other votes, a three-way run-off vote will take place.
• Rules are subject to change due to common sense at all times.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Mattsson looks like he could develop into a good bottom pairing (size/strength) guy so I guess I'll go with him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Here's Darren Haynes' top 20

1. Tkachuk
2. Gillies
3. Andersson
4. Kylington
5. Jankowski
6. Shinkaruk
7. Hickey
8. Mangiapane
9. Parsons
10. Poirier
11. Dube
12. Wotherspoon
13. Pribyl
14. Klimchuk
15. Fox
16. McDonald
17. Kulak
18. Tuulola
19. Hathaway
20. Ollas Mattsson

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

1. Tkachuk
2. Gillies
3. Andersson
4. Kylington
5. Jankowski
6. Shinkaruk
7. Hickey
8. Mangiapane
9. Parsons
10. Poirier
11. Dube
12. Wotherspoon
13. Pribyl
14. Klimchuk
15. Fox
16. McDonald
17. Kulak
18. Tuulola
19. Hathaway
20. Ollas Mattsson

Not bad. Only qualms:

Too low:
Jankowski
Kulak
McDonald

Too High:
Gillies
Wotherspoon

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Hathaway guy should be on a NHL 4th line next season has to at least be in our top 20 prospects

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

1. Tkachuk
2. Gillies
3. Andersson
4. Kylington
5. Jankowski
6. Shinkaruk
7. Hickey
8. Mangiapane
9. Parsons
10. Poirier
11. Dube
12. Wotherspoon
13. Pribyl
14. Klimchuk
15. Fox
16. McDonald
17. Kulak
18. Tuulola
19. Hathaway
20. Ollas Mattsson

This would be damn close to what I have personally as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Funny though, just last season Haynes had McDonald ahead of Gillies. Gillies basically misses all of last season and he leaps up to #2 lol? I should tweet him about that. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really don't get the love for Ollas-Mattsson, he is slow as ****. People complain about the skating of other guys but his might be the worst of any prospect in the organization.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hathaway guy should be on a NHL 4th line next season has to at least be in our top 20 prospects

Should be? No. He might find a 4th line spot on a weaker team though. I see no upside in him. 4th line checker at best. I think every organization has at least one guy like him.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
This is obviously Phillips. On a side note, it shocks me people almost unanimously consider Tuulola a better prospect than him. They'll be playing in the same league next season and Phillips has a very good chance to be a top-10 scorer in it. Tuulola emphatically doesn't, yet one meaningless scrimmage in the middle of the summer and the fact he likes to hit have convinced people his ceiling is Milan Lucic.

I guess time will correct that perception.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I really don't get the love for Ollas-Mattsson, he is slow as ****. People complain about the skating of other guys but his might be the worst of any prospect in the organization.

He has no problem on international ice, why would he have problems on the smaller surface? He will be even better in North America. But we know, he's not a high pick so you will hate on him.

Again, the guy played top pairing on a Swedish team that was better then the team Canada sent (with much less offensive pop as well)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He has no problem on international ice, why would he have problems on the smaller surface? He will be even better in North America. But we know, he's not a high pick so you will hate on him.

Again, the guy played top pairing on a Swedish team that was better then the team Canada sent (with much less offensive pop as well)

By that same logic, he was a late round pick, therefore you are irrationally going to be obsessed with him as usual.

One tournament doesn't make an NHL player. Could he be one? Sure. But I'm pretty sure none of us here have enough viewing time on him to make a statement definitively.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
By that same logic, he was a late round pick, therefore you are irrationally going to be obsessed with him as usual.

One tournament doesn't make an NHL player. Could he be one? Sure. But I'm pretty sure none of us here have enough viewing time on him to make a statement definitively.

LOL... Irrationally? Yeah my irrational preference for players that will actually play in the NHL, while the rest of our fanbase ranks them 11-25 overall in favour of guys that will never play. I base my predictions on what I see, not on draft position. Why I see the diamonds in the rough seasons before the rest of HFFlames catches on. I have an obsession with prospects that will be NHL players. Draft position is irrelevant to me after the first 10-12 picks overall.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think Mattson should be much higher then 20th overall but he's a good prospect and saying he's a bad skater just isn't true.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
LOL... Irrationally? Yeah my irrational preference for players that will actually play in the NHL, while the rest of our fanbase ranks them 11-25 overall in favour of guys that will never play. I base my predictions on what I see, not on draft position. Why I see the diamonds in the rough seasons before the rest of HFFlames catches on. I have an obsession with prospects that will be NHL players. Draft position is irrelevant to me after the first 10-12 picks overall.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think Mattson should be much higher then 20th overall but he's a good prospect and saying he's a bad skater just isn't true.

Cocky much? If you are so good at finding diamonds in the rough you should be a pro scout, not posting on a message forum. You aren't the only person that watches some of these guys. I've seen Ferland play hockey again ex-WHL guys during summer hockey leagues when he was 17 and knew he had something special to him. But that doesn't mean I was on here bragging that I see something nobody else sees and everyone else is blind. You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but you come across equally as arrogant as 100TGS does sometimes. Which is why it amuses me that you guys butt heads so much.

Draft position is irrelevant once meaningful hockey starts being played again. Important to note sure, but with each passing year it becomes far less relevant.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My problem with this site is the obsession with high picks, or recently drafted players. On the case of high picks, despite doing nothing noteworthy certain players get the benefit of the doubt do to draft status (ie Klimchuk, Nemisz) where mid round players that have already played at a high level in pro (ie Brodie, Ferland, Kulak) get passed over for mid round picks (ie Fox, Lindstrom) who hope in 3-4 years to develop into what guys like Ferland and Kulak already have become, NHL caliber talents.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
My problem with this site is the obsession with high picks, or recently drafted players. On the case of high picks, despite doing nothing noteworthy certain players get the benefit of the doubt do to draft status (ie Klimchuk, Nemisz) where mid round players that have already played at a high level in pro (ie Brodie, Ferland, Kulak) get passed over for mid round picks (ie Fox, Lindstrom) who hope in 3-4 years to develop into what guys like Ferland and Kulak already have become, NHL caliber talents.

And to a certain extent I agree.

But there are certain guys I would give pretty good odds on never reaching the NHL. If it was Fox vs Mattson, I would take Fox the majority of times.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Prospect ranking isn't solely based upon the single datapoint of how likely a prospect is to reach the NHL. Equally important, is upside.

Remember the premise of our rankings is 'if you can only keep one'.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kulak got a decent spot to be fair; probably deserves the 10 slot, but overall the HF draft in my opinion has guys out only a few slots from where I rank them.

Nothing super crazy from this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad