Prospect Info: Flames prospect rankings: #16 RUN-OFF POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey, I'm just basing my comments on what the Flames have said about Fox and what the scouting reports are saying. The Flames are very high on this kid, a lot like they were on Hickey on think. The thing with Fox though, his offensive game appears to be much better whereas Hickey appears to be a far better skater.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Went with Parsons. Out of curiosity, just how far do people think Hunter Smith has fallen as a result of his AHL rookie year?

In my books he hasn't fallen much at all. He's always been a D level long shot prospect whose sole reason for being associated with an NHL franchise is the fact that he's a giant. If he was 6 feet with the same skillset he wouldn't have been drafted or signed.

I like Fox and Parsons, but went with Parsons because I think he's a safer pick. IIRC there are literally only 5 dmen in the NHL who are 5'10 or shorter, so unless Fox grows he's got a very small (ha) niche to squeeze into. And Eetu is really interesting, but he's also extremely raw.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think Fox has top 3 upside. If he reaches that, he will be an extremely valuable player for us.

You think all of our good D prospects have top 3 upside :laugh:

I kid I kid, but seems like that is a common phrase used on Anderssen, Kylington and now Fox.

Even Wotherspoon and Hickey had it to an extent for a while.

For me, the bar has been set for what defines the perfect top 3 with Chicago's. Keith, Seabrook and Hammer.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I kid I kid, but seems like that is a common phrase used on Anderssen, Kylington and now Fox.

For me, the bar has been set for what defines the perfect top 3 with Chicago's. Keith, Seabrook and Hammer.

I think all those guys theoretically do have top 3 upside, aside from the Spoon (probably #4 at best), but their likelihood of actually reaching it is definitely not as high as a lot of guys.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Parsons for me. I love his competitiveness, he would be a loo of other teams best goaltending prospect, and I really don't think he is that far off from McDonald at this point, certainly if you look at where they were at the same age.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Well, I'd like to think that it's hopefully because we actually have good D prospects now. :laugh:

I think Andersson and Kylington both have top 3, if not top 2 potential.

I think Fox has top 3 upside.

I think Kulak and Wotherspoon could be #5's maybe a #4 if things go very well for them.

Culkin missed so much time last season so it's hard to get a read on him but he could be right there as well.

I think Hickey if he hits his ceiling is your ideal #4, someone who can fly, defend well and move the puck out, but maybe isn't more than 15-25pt dman (ie. Hjarmlsson).

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Parsons for me. I love his competitiveness, he would be a loo of other teams best goaltending prospect, and I really don't think he is that far off from McDonald at this point, certainly if you look at where they were at the same age.

I think parsons is slightly undervalued since he played on an excellent knights team. He is very good statistically anyway. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Even Wotherspoon and Hickey had it to an extent for a while..

Upside for our defensemen (key word being upside)

Kulak - Justin Braun (#3)
Hickey - Travis Hamonic (#3)
Wotherspoon - Paul Martin (#4)
Kylington - Duncan Keith (#1)
Fox - Ryan Ellis (#3)
Andersson - Slava Voynov (#2)
Ollas-Mattsson - Brooks Orpik (#4)
Culkin - David Schlemko (#4)

:)

Falkovsky - Franson -#5
Kanzig - Deryk Engelland - #7
Bruce - Chris Breen - AHL
Morrison - Rundblad - #6
Rafikov - ???? - #?

:(

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Upside for our defensemen (key word being upside)

Kulak - Justin Braun (#3)
Hickey - Travis Hamonic (#3)
Wotherspoon - Paul Martin (#4)
Kylington - Duncan Keith (#1)
Fox - Ryan Ellis (#3)
Andersson - Slava Voynov (#2)
Ollas-Mattsson - Brooks Orpik (#4)
Culkin - David Schlemko (#4)

:)

Falkovsky - Franson -#5
Kanzig - Deryk Engelland - #7
Bruce - Chris Breen - AHL
Morrison - Rundblad - #6
Rafikov - ???? - #?

:(

Yes but it's easy to say top 3 upside and ignore that its a longshot that they hit that. Just poking fun at the fact that it's thrown around so much on here.

I don't like calling Paul Martin a #4, the guy was a legit top pairing guy, and at worst a #3 for a good chunk of his career. What he is now? Sure, #4 is probably generous on some nights.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yes but it's easy to say top 3 upside and ignore that its a longshot that they hit that. Just poking fun at the fact that it's thrown around so much on here.

I don't like calling Paul Martin a #4, the guy was a legit top pairing guy, and at worst a #3 for a good chunk of his career. What he is now? Sure, #4 is probably generous on some nights.

I don't know about regular season, but Martin was easily the third best dman on the Sharks in the playoffs, and there were nights that he was better than Burns (for all the love Burns got, he made some really stupid decisions more often than he should have).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad