Confirmed with Link: Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
This and he's still 'decent' time to time on the 4th line only...though certainly could be better with more speed and physicality.

I personally wouldn't sign him. He doesn't belong in the top 9 and we can easily get someone to contribute more than him on the 4th line. Im thinking when Lance Bouma comes back Comeau's gone

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I didn't watch the press conference but it does seem like they intend to give Irving a good long look to see what he can do. MacDonald seems to have been brought in to provide some veteran backup experience, and should Irving falter, be able to step in a with greater ease than Taylor could have.

I think there's a good chance Kipper's out for even longer than the two weeks estimated. MCL sprains are tricky and Kipper's condition was upgraded to a second grade, which Backlund also suffered and he's scheduled to miss 4-6 weeks. Irving can't play every game while Kipper's out; he's barely played at all in the last year (huh I wonder why) and over playing him now could be disastrous. There's a back-to-back at the end of this week and I could see MacDonald starting that.

And personally, I don't buy Feaster's claim that MacDonald was always a target. The lawyer-speak is strong with that one.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I didn't watch the press conference but it does seem like they intend to give Irving a good long look to see what he can do. MacDonald seems to have been brought in to provide some veteran backup experience, and should Irving falter, be able to step in a with greater ease than Taylor could have.

I think there's a good chance Kipper's out for even longer than the two weeks estimated. MCL sprains are tricky and Kipper's condition was upgraded to a second grade, which Backlund also suffered and he's scheduled to miss 4-6 weeks. Irving can't play every game while Kipper's out; he's barely played at all in the last year (huh I wonder why) and over playing him now could be disastrous. There's a back-to-back at the end of this week and I could see MacDonald starting that.

And personally, I don't buy Feaster's claim that MacDonald was always a target. The lawyer-speak is strong with that one.

I don't buy it either. Kipper may very well be out for 2 weeks but like u said, Im gona say its longer then that. Given that he's been out for a week now and that is similar to Backlunds injury, another 3-4 weeks seems like the real time frame. I also think its harder to recover from an MCL sprain as a goalie then it is for a player

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't buy it either. Kipper may very well be out for 2 weeks but like u said, Im gona say its longer then that. Given that he's been out for a week now and that is similar to Backlunds injury, another 3-4 weeks seems like the real time frame. I also think its harder to recover from an MCL sprain as a goalie then it is for a player

A 36yr old goaltender at that..

p_macc1987

Apr 5, 2007
Bay-View (Pictou)
Mac was only cleared to play by the wings doctor after he was claimed on monday, and didn't get a flight out until late monday night, he hasn't played in a game in over a year, has only been in about 4 practices with the wings and i have no idea if he even faced any shots, I am a big Joey Mac fan, but i do not want to see him thrown in and reinjure himself... Anyways i am not a GM that's just my .02 Cheer Pmacc

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Yea it sounds like it was worse then originally thought, but with the way Irving has played I have no problem letting him be the starter. We are starting to see that Irving is an nhl goalie, each game he gets better as he gets more comfortable. Next year could be a great year with Ramo/Irving tandem. Lots of competition.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
So hypothetically speaking

Irving continues this level of play until Kipper comes back
Kipper comes back and plays up to his Kipperesque standards
Ramo is expected to come over to the team next year as well
Leaving the Flames with Kipper/Ramo/Irving assuming nothing changes during the rest of the year

Now based on that what do you do in the following scenarios:

• If the Flames are in a playoff position at the trade deadline - I assume you keep Kipper and Irving and hope to make the playoffs and a run.
  • If the Flames are a borderline playoff team at the trade deadline - do you trade Kipper?
  • If the Flames are not all that close to a playoff team at the trade deadline - do you trade Kipper?
  • In the off season regardless of how this season went - do you trade Kipper?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So hypothetically speaking

Irving continues this level of play until Kipper comes back
Kipper comes back and plays up to his Kipperesque standards
Ramo is expected to come over to the team next year as well
Leaving the Flames with Kipper/Ramo/Irving assuming nothing changes during the rest of the year

Now based on that what do you do in the following scenarios:

• If the Flames are in a playoff position at the trade deadline - I assume you keep Kipper and Irving and hope to make the playoffs and a run.
  • If the Flames are a borderline playoff team at the trade deadline - do you trade Kipper?

[*]If the Flames are not all that close to a playoff team at the trade deadline - do you trade Kipper?

[*]In the off season regardless of how this season went - do you trade Kipper?

I feel as though the smart answer to both of those is yes..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just a thought, we do have a compliance buyout so if MacDonald is the odd man out we can just buy him out. Given that we have two and theres not really anyone I can see us buying out, this would be a good idea
Compliance buyouts can't be used right now, teams were given a small window to use them this season.

Let me decipher for you.

When Kiprusoff was injured and we knew he would probably be out 3-4 weeks MacDonald was a target to back up Leland, but the Wings refused to take a contract in return, so we insteadsigned Taylor to a contract instead and then claimed MacDonald when he became available.

Or at least that's how I read it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Let me decipher for you.

Or at least that's how I read it.

Yeah, I know that makes more sense. I was just basing it off the original tweet, which was ambiguous and may have made some think the organization's faith in Irving may have been even lower than it was speculated to be earlier in the season.

Doesn't really make such sense..wouldn't the Wings have just said, Sure give us your 7th from the Karlsson deal? Or something similar.

It makes plenty of sense if Feaster wanted to trade a contract for a contract, but not take on a contract for nothing, unless he had no choice. If the Wings refused to take on a contract in return, then it makes more sense to wait for the waiver process, than to trade a pick. That was the mistake Feaster made with Leblond, so who knows, maybe he's learning from his previous mistakes.

The Flames are now at 49 contracts I believe, which hampers their ability sign collegiate free agents and more significantly, make big deadline deals, i.e. Iginla for multiple prospects or players and picks.

Also, interesting to see Bob McKenzie get it wrong with this one. His tweets on the Flames, particularly on the goaltending issues, have been superficial at best. A little surprising coming from him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, I know that makes more sense. I was just basing it off the original tweet, which was ambiguous and may have made some think the organization's faith in Irving may have been even lower than it was speculated to be earlier in the season.

It makes plenty of sense if Feaster wanted to trade a contract for a contract, but not take on a contract for nothing, unless he had no choice. If the Wings refused to take on a contract in return, then it makes more sense to wait for the waiver process, than to trade a pick. That was the mistake Feaster made with Leblond, so who knows, maybe he's learning from his previous mistakes.

The Flames are now at 49 contracts I believe, which hampers their ability sign collegiate free agents and more significantly, make big deadline deals, i.e. Iginla for multiple prospects or players and picks.

Also, interesting to see Bob McKenzie get it wrong with this one. His tweets on the Flames, particularly on the goaltending issues, have been superficial at best. A little surprising coming from him.

Not what I was getting at. If Detroit didn't want a contract back, they could of asked for a pick. Feaster also could not of known he was going to be on waivers. Detroit probably wouldn't of told him either..

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not what I was getting at. If Detroit didn't want a contract back, they could of asked for a pick. Feaster also could not of known he was going to be on waivers. Detroit probably wouldn't of told him either..

Mzerak has stolen the backup job everyone knew it, Macdonald was going to get waived as soon as he was cleared to play, so if Feaster knew Macdonald was about to be cleared to play he most likely offered Comeau as compensation was told no and simply waited for Macdonald to be put on waivers.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Mzerak has stolen the backup job everyone knew it, Macdonald was going to get waived as soon as he was cleared to play, so if Feaster knew Macdonald was about to be cleared to play he most likely offered Comeau as compensation was told no and simply waited for Macdonald to be put on waivers.

Detroit has Gustavsson rehabbing and Mrazek will be back down as soon as The Monster is ready to go. Mrazek is probably ~2 years away from a job in Detroit.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Yeah, he could have suspected MacDonald was going to be waived sooner or later, and instead of wasting an asset, decided to wait and see. He could always trade a pick away later if MacDonald wasn't waived.

As for Detroit wanting the pick, Detroit could have asked for one only to have Feaster refuse. At that point, they could either try to wait Feaster out, just for a low pick, or waive MacDonald and open up a roster/contract spot. And with all their injuries, they couldn't really afford to keep a roster open tied up with a third goaltender they don't really need.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doesn't really make such sense..wouldn't the Wings have just said, Sure give us your 7th from the Karlsson deal? Or something similar.
Makes perfect sense, because Feaster likely did not want to add another contract to the books. He also probably never wanted to give away an asset either, so he was probably offering something like Bryan Cameron. The Wings refuse and offer him up on waivers.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
So revisiting the waiver pickup. Joey has been decent as far as backups go considering he was the 3rd string.

Definitely playing well enough to give us a chance to win. However keep it in mind that while he can do well for 5-10 games, over the course of an actual full season, his inconsistency comes into play.

Also if the team slumps, he isn't the type of goalie to be able to carry them hard.

So not bad for a free pickup overall. It was unfortunate for Irving but I think with the Flames still looking towards the playoffs, it was a smart choice to go with Joey until Kipper comes back.

Hopefully Kipper is back soon, as I know Joey's shelf life is usually limited to about 10 games :P Don't expect him to be the next Craig Anderson.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
So revisiting the waiver pickup. Joey has been decent as far as backups go considering he was the 3rd string.

Definitely playing well enough to give us a chance to win. However keep it in mind that while he can do well for 5-10 games, over the course of an actual full season, his inconsistency comes into play.

Also if the team slumps, he isn't the type of goalie to be able to carry them hard.

So not bad for a free pickup overall. It was unfortunate for Irving but I think with the Flames still looking towards the playoffs, it was a smart choice to go with Joey until Kipper comes back.

Hopefully Kipper is back soon, as I know Joey's shelf life is usually limited to about 10 games :P Don't expect him to be the next Craig Anderson.

Anderson would have won us all the games lol, McDonald is a servicable backup capable of making BIG saves, while still finding a way to allow weak goals. The last part is why he has never been a starter in his career.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Anderson would have won us all the games lol, McDonald is a servicable backup capable of making BIG saves, while still finding a way to allow weak goals. The last part is why he has never been a starter in his career.

He was an *emergency* starter in NYI and did pretty well. And was in Toronto the next year, playing for the Marlies, because Toskala...? He did get six games in with the Leafs. That would be the first time he was behind Gustavsson on the depth chart, and also the first time he was teammates with Ian White, Lee Stempniak, and Matt Stajan.

He has been a much better goalie during his career than his places of playing have suggested; he should have been in the NHL with Toronto - he's never played as poorly as Toskala did in ANY environment during his entire career; and he should have had the backup job in Detroit in 2011-12 - Conklin was a stupid signing I said wasn't going to happen because he was washed up, and was stunned when it did. I did predict Colaiacovo, and the Weiss interest; when the rumors of Detroit scouts at Buf/Fla were first out, I called that Detroit was interested in Weiss and is either showcasing Tatar or has him on hand because someone else is leaving.

I'm kind of surprised Feaster didn't grab Mursak. He would have worked well for Hartley.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He was an *emergency* starter in NYI and did pretty well. And was in Toronto the next year, playing for the Marlies, because Toskala...? He did get six games in with the Leafs. That would be the first time he was behind Gustavsson on the depth chart, and also the first time he was teammates with Ian White, Lee Stempniak, and Matt Stajan.

He has been a much better goalie during his career than his places of playing have suggested; he should have been in the NHL with Toronto - he's never played as poorly as Toskala did in ANY environment during his entire career; and he should have had the backup job in Detroit in 2011-12 - Conklin was a stupid signing I said wasn't going to happen because he was washed up, and was stunned when it did. I did predict Colaiacovo, and the Weiss interest; when the rumors of Detroit scouts at Buf/Fla were first out, I called that Detroit was interested in Weiss and is either showcasing Tatar or has him on hand because someone else is leaving.

I'm kind of surprised Feaster didn't grab Mursak. He would have worked well for Hartley.

We already have to many forwards when healthy and are at 49 contracts Mursak doesn't give us anything we don't already have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad