Flames or Jets? who do you want in the playoffs?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I voted Jets but I won't be crushed if the Flames make it. With them in it I at least have some interest cuz I have someone to root against.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd pick neither but this apparently isn't an option..

So Jets get the edge but I despise them as well.

tbh I'm torn. If Flames made the playoffs they would be eviscerated immediately by any competent club.
Jets with their size could actually battle a bit.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
The Atlanta Thrashers for sure

I find it funny that both teams are from Atlanta.

So that should be Saskatoon's best hope for an NHL team. Advocate for another franchise in Atlanta, then wait for 10 or so years before that team packs its bags and heads off to Western Canada!

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I want the flames to make it.
Why?
-it throws a finger in the face of kevin Lowe
-they will get knocked out in the 1st anyways
-the jets are a team of buffoons and Winnipeg isn't far off

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Jets fans certainly have developed a reputation for being ****** bags rather quickly, but I don't have to live with them on a daily basis so I can let the Canadian team thing cancel it out. Seeing the flames just barely miss the playoffs gives me great joy.
I figured they'd become ****** bags pretty quickly. I'd spent enough time on the bombers message boards over the years to realize they're the worst fans in the CFL. Figured it'd be just a matter of time before the Jets fans would end up the same way. That said I'd much prefer they make the playoffs over the Flames. I think they'll be able to do some serious damage if they get in. I don't think the Flames can do the same without Giordano. I don't want the Jets to win the cup. I don't want any Canadian team, other than the Oilers, to win it but it would be fun to see them take a round or two and put some scares into a few of the higher profile teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I figured they'd become ****** bags pretty quickly. I'd spent enough time on the bombers message boards over the years to realize they're the worst fans in the CFL. Figured it'd be just a matter of time before the Jets fans would end up the same way. That said I'd much prefer they make the playoffs over the Flames. I think they'll be able to do some serious damage if they get in. I don't think the Flames can do the same without Giordano. I don't want the Jets to win the cup. I don't want any Canadian team, other than the Oilers, to win it but it would be fun to see them take a round or two and put some scares into a few of the higher profile teams.

I mentioned the Swaggerville thing earlier in the thread. Winnipeg fans do have a propensity to become DB's at the slightest of instances of team success. Chalk it up to maybe not ever having much to cheer about and, well, living in Winnipeg and trying to earn a living in Winnipeg.

Probably lots of axes to grind.

lol in a recent games the Jets fans go off on the rink of any team they're playing at basically dissing other clubs facilities. lmfao, your team plays in MTS Center and with no hope of the team getting a bigger better facility. The NHL had to change its operational rule to allow a club with a rink with such limited attendance to even join the league.

SchultzSquared*

I'd pick neither but this apparently isn't an option..

So Jets get the edge but I despise them as well.

tbh I'm torn. If Flames made the playoffs they would be eviscerated immediately by any competent club.
Jets with their size could actually battle a bit.

The nice thing about CGY making it is they lose even the small astronomical possibility of winning the draft lottery... carrying them further down the road of "Late 90s Oilers" that they are already on...

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I don't care about fans. They're all bothersome. I voted Jets. How can you not like them. The play big and mean. Buff is one of my favourite players in the game to watch. I'll be pulling for the Jets and Sens come playoff time.

No chance the Sens get in. We've all seen this story before. The bubble has burst.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I voted for the Jets simply because I've seen enough of the Flames unofficial forum to say that their fanbase is the most arrogant and self centered fans in western Canada. I honestly think they are worse than Vancouver at this point.

That site is the lowest of the low.

The fans here in Calgary that I talk to are actually pretty good. I think they realize that their immediate success is built on a house of cards and are looking more towards the future (which looks to be set up pretty good).

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
I mentioned the Swaggerville thing earlier in the thread. Winnipeg fans do have a propensity to become DB's at the slightest of instances of team success. Chalk it up to maybe not ever having much to cheer about and, well, living in Winnipeg and trying to earn a living in Winnipeg.

Probably lots of axes to grind.

lol in a recent games the Jets fans go off on the rink of any team they're playing at basically dissing other clubs facilities. lmfao, your team plays in MTS Center and with no hope of the team getting a bigger better facility. The NHL had to change its operational rule to allow a club with a rink with such limited attendance to even join the league.

I'm actually wondering.. What makes Edmonton sooo much better than Winnipeg?
Swaggerville was started by the players (Willis, Hefney, Johnson, Suber), not the fans (though they certainly latched onto it).

Honestly, I find that Oilers fans including myself are some of the most insufferable out there at times. At least they're no different than every other fan base.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Well if the flames make the playoffs I have to wear a flames jersey every game day...if the jets make the playoffs I have to pay 100$.

Classic tough choice but I'd rather pay money then have to wear the jersey. Ideally hey both miss but that won't happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm actually wondering.. What makes Edmonton sooo much better than Winnipeg?
Swaggerville was started by the players (Willis, Hefney, Johnson, Suber), not the fans (though they certainly latched onto it).

Honestly, I find that Oilers fans including myself are some of the most insufferable out there at times. At least they're no different than every other fan base.

I actually like the idea of Winnipeg if not some of its inhabitants. Also like the history of Winnipeg and the many things its stood for.

But theres something about the current Winnipeg which is a bit unsettling. Theres kind of a scorn of Cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton that have surpassed Winnipeg in every way and in National or international importance. Winnipeg used to be it in Western Canada. Everything else used to be only considered best thing west of Winnipeg. This nation was like that for easily 100yrs. Winnipeg is a city that while not actually in decline, is relatively speaking declining in importance. In stature.

To my thinking this leads to a populace ready to lord over any reason to ever proclaim Winnipeg, or anything to do with Winnipeg as great.

tbh I don't feel that exists here in Edmonton. At times Edmonton has been considered an armpit we didn't mind embracing that and made inside jokes about it such as deadmonton. We embraced this place as being a secret good place to live if not everybody realized that. When times are good here which is regular enough we embrace the standard of living. Edmonton has imo only ever been a little jealous about Calgary at times and with Calgary returning the favor.
Winnipeg, if such things exist as a collective sense, seems jealous about the world passing it by. like a mostly forgotten place. Thus some frustrated attempts at avarice as a result.

Just my take since you asked.

ps In hopes that this doesn't result in the wrong view I should mention I like a lot about Winnipeg. The historical financial district, The Forks, Winnipeg Zoo, Train Station, many neighborhoods, A city with two rivers is nice, and St Boniface. So I appreciate the place but still sense the decline. I think the city has done the right thing in trying to bolster the downtown and that some short term positive has come from that. But I think inexorably Winnipeg will march to becoming the 10th largest City in Canada from what used to be overwhelmingly larger than any WC city. I think civically this has its impacts.

Finally, I think Winnipeg should do even more with its splendid river valley and from a physical recreation trail pov Edmonton has done a lot more in that regard while Winnipeg has much more commerce on river. We could learn form each other in this sense. I'm very specifically Jealous of the Forks. I've loved that place and area since it opened it up. Now you have the new Museum and that spectacular bridge in the area.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would take some perverted joy in watching the Flames miss in 9th. If only because 2 years ago all the Flames fans were talking about how they needed a rebuild because it was a death knell for a franchise to keep finishing 9th in the conference and just missing out on playoffs.

But now that it is likely going to happen again, they've all changed their tune talking about how important it is for their young players. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to be in the Flames spot right now. But there is some hypocrisy going on with that fan base at the moment.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I would take some perverted joy in watching the Flames miss in 9th. If only because 2 years ago all the Flames fans were talking about how they needed a rebuild because it was a death knell for a franchise to keep finishing 9th in the conference and just missing out on playoffs.

But now that it is likely going to happen again, they've all changed their tune talking about how important it is for their young players. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to be in the Flames spot right now. But there is some hypocrisy going on with that fan base at the moment.

I think that Flames team is in a world of hurt. I've seen it before there as well. 20 players go full out all year trying to prove something and as a lineup over exceed and couldn't possibly play better and still fail in their goal of making the playoffs. I've seen that result in deflation before and with Flames being impacted by that before. Really at the time of Iginla leaving the whole org was depressing and too much for Iggy who was a heart and soul Flame to even stick around.

The Oilers have the advantage of having actual potential and knowing that they haven't played anything close to their best.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Jets bandwagon this year easily.

Think we've had it bad, that city hasn't seen an NHL team in the playoffs since they were robbed to Phoenix.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
I actually like the idea of Winnipeg if not some of its inhabitants. Also like the history of Winnipeg and the many things its stood for.

But theres something about the current Winnipeg which is a bit unsettling. Theres kind of a scorn of Cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton that have surpassed Winnipeg in every way and in National or international importance. Winnipeg used to be it in Western Canada. Everything else used to be only considered best thing west of Winnipeg. This nation was like that for easily 100yrs. Winnipeg is a city that while not actually in decline, is relatively speaking declining in importance. In stature.

To my thinking this leads to a populace ready to lord over any reason to ever proclaim Winnipeg, or anything to do with Winnipeg as great.

tbh I don't feel that exists here in Edmonton. At times Edmonton has been considered an armpit we didn't mind embracing that and made inside jokes about it such as deadmonton. We embraced this place as being a secret good place to live if not everybody realized that. When times are good here which is regular enough we embrace the standard of living. Edmonton has imo only ever been a little jealous about Calgary at times and with Calgary returning the favor.
Winnipeg, if such things exist as a collective sense, seems jealous about the world passing it by. like a mostly forgotten place. Thus some frustrated attempts at avarice as a result.

Just my take since you asked.

ps In hopes that this doesn't result in the wrong view I should mention I like a lot about Winnipeg. The historical financial district, The Forks, Winnipeg Zoo, Train Station, many neighborhoods, A city with two rivers is nice, and St Boniface. So I appreciate the place but still sense the decline. I think the city has done the right thing in trying to bolster the downtown and that some short term positive has come from that. But I think inexorably Winnipeg will march to becoming the 10th largest City in Canada from what used to be overwhelmingly larger than any WC city. I think civically this has its impacts.

Finally, I think Winnipeg should do even more with its splendid river valley and from a physical recreation trail pov Edmonton has done a lot more in that regard while Winnipeg has much more commerce on river. We could learn form each other in this sense. I'm very specifically Jealous of the Forks. I've loved that place and area since it opened it up. Now you have the new Museum and that spectacular bridge in the area.

Huh, that's an interesting take. I've only been to Edmonton once, and I thought it was a really nice-looking city. Definitely more visually appealing than Winnipeg.

But Winnipeg's heyday was in the 1920's, so I have a hard time believing that Winnipeg's decline has influenced how people think in this city, especially among the younger generation. Either way, I certainly don't get the same vibe as you do from Winnipeg's inhabitants (in my entirely unbiased opinion).

I can understand if there's some dislike for the Jets' team though, especially considering how many (older) Winnipeggers hate the Oilers, dating back to the old Jets 1.0 days.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Flames. Jets are a bunch of ********. I actually respect the Flames wheras the Jets just inspire anger within me, and their fans are annoying dicks. I was happy for them to get their team back and cheered for them prior to this year. Not anymore. Pretty much how I felt about the Flames 3+ years ago.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014
I think that Flames team is in a world of hurt. I've seen it before there as well. 20 players go full out all year trying to prove something and as a lineup over exceed and couldn't possibly play better and still fail in their goal of making the playoffs. I've seen that result in deflation before and with Flames being impacted by that before. Really at the time of Iginla leaving the whole org was depressing and too much for Iggy who was a heart and soul Flame to even stick around.

The Oilers have the advantage of having actual potential and knowing that they haven't played anything close to their best.

I agree with your first part in that this year will hurt the flames rebuild unless they knock some late picks out of the park. Outside of Monahan they don't have a future first line unless Bennett is the real deal and they lack anything on defense behind Gio/Brodie. Remember, you only have to be average to make the playoffs. That's all they've been

Your second part shows me you ate the steaming pile of optimism MacT spewed earlier and believe the beans you were sold are magic. Where's this potential? Seriously? Nuge is Nuge already. Maybe an small uptick in the future, but an elite two way center should've appeared by now. Eberle is a useful soft scoring winger who has hit his potential. Hall hit his potential last year and can be a good PPG player. None of that gets us a Smid at being more than an 80pt team, never mind pass the fLames

Where's the franchise saving "potential"? Jultz?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree with your first part in that this year will hurt the flames rebuild unless they knock some late picks out of the park. Outside of Monahan they don't have a future first line unless Bennett is the real deal and they lack anything on defense behind Gio/Brodie. Remember, you only have to be average to make the playoffs. That's all they've been

Your second part shows me you ate the steaming pile of optimism MacT spewed earlier and believe the beans you were sold are magic. Where's this potential? Seriously? Nuge is Nuge already. Maybe an small uptick in the future, but an elite two way center should've appeared by now. Eberle is a useful soft scoring winger who has hit his potential. Hall hit his potential last year and can be a good PPG player. None of that gets us a Smid at being more than an 80pt team, never mind pass the fLames

Where's the franchise saving "potential"? Jultz?
haha I'm considered anything but an optimist here and people will get a chuckle at that. I'm as fervent an Oilers org critic as one can get. I despise the present management and decision making. I never even wanted the rebuild route.

That said potential is there. I'm not at all convinced it will be realized.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Jets (and Kings) at the expense of the Flames.

While Calgary's not last year's Colorado, they've been running on unsustainable numbers all year.
Would drive me insane if they make instead of LA, a team who is good enough to win the Cup.

Jets are actually built really well; i am impressed. They are incredibly hard to play against, and could take any team for a good ride in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad