GDT: Flames @ Oilers, HNIC Late Game

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I think you guys are kind of overvaluing Cammalleri here. The young guys aren't just going to stop working hard or forget about their work ethic if Cammalleri's not there.

He wants out otherwise he would've signed an extension.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think you guys are kind of overvaluing Cammalleri here. The young guys aren't just going to stop working hard or forget about their work ethic if Cammalleri's not there.

Why? What incentive would he have to sign it prior to the deadline? The longer it goes, the more leverage he gains.

fallsviewafro*

Really? Talk is cheap... it's very easy to say that now. Look at how accountable Edmonton's youngsters are with all of the competitive veteran presence in their locker room... I don't think they understand what the word "work ethic" means.

We're not going to have ANY cap issues. Burke even said he was willing to take on bad contracts because that was such a non-issue. Why would we let him walk? What do we possibly gain from that? We're going to have to sign some random free agents... I'd rather keep Cammy, thanks.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Really? Talk is cheap... it's very easy to say that now. Look at how accountable Edmonton's youngsters are with all of the competitive veteran presence in their locker room... I don't think they understand what the word "work ethic" means.

We're not going to have ANY cap issues. Burke even said he was willing to take on bad contracts because that was such a non-issue. Why would we let him walk? What do we possibly gain from that? We're going to have to sign some random free agents... I'd rather keep Cammy, thanks.

Yeah, let's keep the guy who can't even tell if there's blades under his skates :rolleyes:

:sarcasm:

TheDebaser

May 1, 2013

There's some flexibility in letting him walk. We could sign other players instead that might help round out this team a bit more.

fallsviewafro*

There's some flexibility in letting him walk. We could sign other players instead that might help round out this team a bit more.

As far as potential signings go, I'm extremely hard-pressed to find someone better than Cammy for that "influential veteran" slot. Outside of that, what else do we need? We have grinders and scrappers - we need people who put the puck in the net. As far as team needs go, he's it.

I just don't see the reasoning behind willfully letting him walk for nothing; even if he wants a 1 or 2 year contract that'd make him untradeable, fine. He's a huge reason why we have any reason to feel good about this season, and I don't see that happening with "Random 2nd Line UFA Player Wanting a Payday Who Gets Signed Because Of The Cap Floor" guy.

Yeah, let's keep the guy who can't even tell if there's blades under his skates :rolleyes:

May 27, 2012
Earth
Short of throwing $14 million (combined) at Stastny and Callahan?

I don't think either of them will hit free agency anymore. Callahn would be an idiot to leave Tampa Bay. He has been put in a great position.

Same with Statstny. With the success of Colorado I think Stastny will resign. They have some cap space to work with.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think either of them will hit free agency anymore. Callahn would be an idiot to leave Tampa Bay. He has been put in a great position.

Same with Statstny. With the success of Colorado I think Stastny will resign. They have some cap space to work with.

It's possible that Tampa won't be willing to pay Callahan. But if they were to offer him a contract with a reasonable amount of money, he would definitely be an idiot not to sign there. I am extremely jealous of Tampa right now, and I hope that in a couple of years we can be where they are.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Only if you can guarantee me a playoff spot, because I don't want some other team to have a shot at the Connor McDavid lottery.

+1
Teams will be wary of going after RFAs this year no doubt.

I don't see anything wrong with re-signing Camalalieri, but not for $10M/per.
Camalaery, Hudler, Baertchi and Byron doesn't make for a very big forward lineup though.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Holy smokes, just looked at it, Backlund is sitting at 19 points in his last 20 games, that is unprecedented for him! and 3 SHG in that time. I'm really loving the player he is becoming, and I hope he gets given a real look for upgraded duties to close out the season and into next season. His defensive game is tremendous and his offensive game is REALLY coming a long way. He is proving now that he is a Legit top 6 center in the NHL, and I am so glad we as an organization never gave up on him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
My offseason agenda would be to resign Cammy, trade Hudler for futures, sign Downie, and trade for Franson. That's it.

I don't want Downie. I think our image around the league is great right now, with a lot of character guys. Even our biggest goon is well-respected. I don't want to bring in a cheapshot artist like what Downie seems to be.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
My offseason agenda would be to resign Cammy, trade Hudler for futures, sign Downie, and trade for Franson. That's it.

Downie has had a very poor year… on top of that he has concussion problems, too.

JulianHopper*

I came across this earlier;

"It’s one thing to have the wheels fall off against Calgary allowing the Flames to look like world-beaters for an evening. It’s another to not show up against actual world-beaters."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/...n-jose-sharks-team-thats-likely-out-for-blood

They actually still talk and think their team is any good and pretty much dismissing the Flames.

That win was just something else though, 8-1! Unforgettable!

fallsviewafro*

Oh yeah, there's no question about that. That much was clear when Eakins said losing 8-1 to the Flames is like losing 20-1 to a team like the Kings.

Hilarious. I wonder if Eakins realizes what his logic is implicitly stating about his own team...

Oiler logic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad