Series Discussion: Flames - Jets (Flames Win 3-1)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020
He'll likely be healthy. I really hope he doesn't play though (if he plays even 1 game, we have to protect him in the expansion draft, where if he doesn't play, he can't be picked allowing us to protect another d-man).

Well that´s something I didn´t think of so far, but it is only one more reason for him not to play this season, and have a healthy next season, which he is going in well rested and ready to go!

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I know the Hanifin Hamonic comment is a joke but... man it wouldn't surprise me with Ward not changing it until he was literally forced to.

It's not a joke. I guarantee they'll be together when the season starts again. Our team is run by morons. They've never played well together yet they are never broken up. Waste assets trading for Forbort when we have literally 3 d-men that are better than him who all get sat over him (Kylington should demand a trade with the bullshit he has to deal with constantly getting scratched for these shitbum scrubs).

Lucic should be 4th line/press box, but we can't have a $5mil player on the 4th line so he is on the 3rd line. Bennett and Dube with Ryan should be the 3rd line, a smart center with 2 speed wingers, but no, ruin the line by stapling molasses Lucic on that line who can barely stick handle.

This isn't hard, this is basic hockey knowledge yet the Flames continue to force this stupid bullshit.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It's not a joke. I guarantee they'll be together when the season starts again. Our team is run by morons. They've never played well together yet they are never broken up. Waste assets trading for Forbort when we have literally 3 d-men that are better than him who all get sat over him (Kylington should demand a trade with the bullshit he has to deal with constantly getting scratched for these shitbum scrubs).

Lucic should be 4th line/press box, but we can't have a $5mil player on the 4th line so he is on the 3rd line. Bennett and Dube with Ryan should be the 3rd line, a smart center with 2 speed wingers, but no, ruin the line by stapling molasses Lucic on that line who can barely stick handle.

This isn't hard, this is basic hockey knowledge yet the Flames continue to force this stupid bullshit.
It's baffling to me that the Hanifin - Hamonic pairing survived through 2 different coaches until injury forced it apart. It also baffles me that the Flames have spent draft capital on guys like Forbort or Fantenberg despite hitting on a ton of late round picks relative to the norm. Valimaki was looking like he could return for the playoffs when they got Fantenberg, even though Kylington would've been fine there and cost nothing, and then they do the same thing to outst Kyl for some reason I don't understand. Why pay assets to get a player who most likely wouldn't have played in the playoffs in the first place?

Lucic on the 3rd line is something I can excuse right now because he was playing well with Ryan, and they had this whole thing of playing him there to be with a RHS centre, but on the other hand them seeing Bennett succeed for even just two games as the 3C while Ryan struggled coming back from sickness/injury only to drop him down while Ryan struggled is another clear example of them mismanaging young assets in favour of aging players.

Bennett played well as a 3C against Chicago IIRC so what's the problem with running more even 3rd/4th lines with x - Bennett - Dube and Lucic - Ryan - x and even trying that for just a game. It feels like the Flames/Ward never find ways to adapt and think winning is a sign that nothing should change.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
tenor.gif

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
GaudreauMonahanLindholm
TkachukBacklundMangiapane
LucicRyan Dube
BennettJankowskiRinaldo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ConnorScheifeleWheeler
EhlersLittleLaine
CoppEakinRoslovic
PerreaultLowryAppleton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In terms of forwards Idk where the idea that the Jets have more depth comes from. Depending on what version of Bennett we get the 4th lines can go either way, and the same can be said for most of our players. If we get their cold versions we're DOA, but if we get Gaudreau and Backlund as they were to end the season, and Monahan, Lindholm, and Tkachuk healthy and angry our top 6's are comparable. They have a better top line and after that it's very similar. I have trouble giving an outright edge to either teams on paper

GiordanoBrodie
Hanifin Andersson
GustfassonHamonic
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
MorrisseyDemelo
KulikovPionk
BealieuPoolman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There's no way to even argue the Jets defence is as good as the Flames core. Flames have a ton of different ways to structure their D to combat the Jets offence while the Jets D is going to rely big time on Morrissey and Pionk to pull more than their weight and hope the third pairing doesn't die.

Rittich/Talbot
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hellebuyck
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is a matchup in favour of Hellebuyck almost all the way. Potential vezina candidate is better than what we got. Rittich or Talbot have shown the ability to win games and we haven't seen either of them in net for the Flames in the playoffs, so juries out on that.

There's a reason the games are played and working things out on paper almost never works out, but as fans there is such a lack of confidence in our players and coaches it's pretty disappointing. On paper this is an even series and the constant crying of Jets in 3 is disappointing. At least have some hope in the team.

Last edited:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
As a Flames die-hard I voted for the Flames
But you should always pick with your head, not with your heart.
I think I only saw one Winnipeg game this year and that was the Heritage Classic.
I think it's anybody's series and both teams can win.
Could be 3 games, 4 games or 5 games. I have no idea who will show up.
I guess I'm sticking with the Flames because I know them more and cheer for them.
Who knows, it was a really wacky season for us and we could come out flying, or come out like we're skating in mud and get dominated.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Am I the only one that would prefer no playoff's took place?

We all know how this ends........
If we're out fast, maybe we win the lottery. My hype for the playoffs isn't what it normally is, especially that I'm going back to work and with late night games I probably won't even be able to watch this series unless it's weekend only.
But if we're out fast, we're in the lottery and maybe luck will shine on us for once. Man that would make a lot of people butt hurt if we won and got the 1st overall pick. That actually excites me more than winning 1 round of play-ins.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Flames because Wolf is going to be a wall.

Go Wolf!

The Flames have a lot to prove from last year. I think they'll come out Covid free and unstoppable.

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I can't even remember what we looked like when the season was paused. Probably really infuriating and inconsistent. Or was that last year?

Honestly I don't think we'll see the Stanley Cup awarded to anyone this year. Someone's going to test positive before we reach the finals and they'll shut everything down.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets fan coming in peace.
I was going to ask the starting lineup but I see it is posted.
Surprised at how many think the Jets will win seeing as we were comparable in points.
Little's status is unknown.
He is scheduled to have some tests late summer...if I had to bet, I would say he isn't playing but I sure hope he is.

I'd give a slight edge to the Jets on the forwards. A huge edge to the Flames on D. Helle is probably going to win the Vezina so the Jets get the edge in goal.

I say the Jets in 5 because of Helle but who the hell knows after all this time off......there should be about 2 games to get at least some of the rust off.

This time off sure gives the coaches a lot of time to plan for their opponents.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm excited for some hockey action, and will not be mad if we don't make it out of the qualifying round.

a) We can get a higher draft pick, we need to draft a great center in the top 10 if that's the case.
b) If we do win, then I am stoked to see more playoff hockey. I just don't like our chances against the top 4 seeds Western Conference seeds (St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas)

Win-win for me. If we can get past the qualifying round, winning a round may actually be the momentum we need to go further than anticipated in the playoffs. If not, looking forward to getting a top end prospect we sorely need.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What do you guys think is an appropriate idea for a playoff anthem?

I can't help but imagine this season's anthem should be something along the lines of this:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I personally dont see the Flames coming out of this. Their top end forwards are way better then the Flames, goaltending is not even close, only area the Flames are better is defense. I think Helly steals one game, their forwards blow up for another, the rest are close.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Will be rooting for y'all during the post season. It's been a headache over here in Sabre land, but always got love for the HTown team and a lot of the members on this board.

Definitely hoping Tkachuk rips it up.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think a big part of first round play has been the teams that employ a “shock and awe” concept of going at the opponent with speed and physicality tend to gain that momentum that is tough to stop. That’s where the Jets forwards I think have an edge. How we react to that will determine our success. We saw what the avalanche did to us in a similar respect.

My concern is our overall team speed is suspect. Gio and Ham have slowed down and we deploy Mony, Chuck and Looch through the first 3 lines.

We need Hellebucyk to be average and we need to win the special teams battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad