Confirmed with Link: Flames ink Brodie (2 years 2.125 annual)

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Normally I'd agree with not throwing him against their top guys for 25minutes night, but some guys thrive under pressure and I think Brodie could be that guy. Still not 28 minutes again but I don't want him playing sheltered minutes unless he starts to struggle consistently.
This is my thoughts. We are going to be vey bad next year, no doubting that. Putting him in a top 3 role against other teams top players is throwing him in the fire. He is going to be out there for many goals against which is going to make him try to focus on a more defensive game to try and limit the goals against, which is going to be without success because we are going to be that bad, and he is going to limit himself on the offensive side of the game because he will be in his own zone all game playing against other teams top players. He can exceed more in his offensive game because it comes more natural to him then his defensive game, he just has to be given the opportunity.
I would put him number 4/5 with top like PP minutes

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
success.jpeg

I was expecting in the $3 million range.

Aug 3, 2010
Are the Flames at / beyond the cap floor with this signing?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
My interpretation is that we were a struggling team, with little to no expectations when Brodie was given a larger role. Therefore his emergence is exaggerated based on how bad the team was. Add in the fact that we are all about youth, and HF praises prospects, and I believe that he was overhyped. Sure there should have been hype given we are entering a rebuild and he looks promising but the talk in the value of his contract thread was getting absolutely ridiculous. Paying him 4+ million at this point in his career would have added that much more pressure to his game and would have been a train wreck. Some fans actually said they would be ok with that kind of money.

I would have been okay with 4+ million if he was offer sheeted but being a statistics guy I love what I am seeing not only on the ice but by the numbers.

Brodie lead the the team in On ice sv% at .905 of the regulars (followed by Butler at .903), he had the highest Corsi relative at 10.5 of all regulars, for the second year in a row he lead the team in Corsi for regulars. With a PDO of 968 (it should average out to 1000) he had the lowest PDO out of the regular defenders meaning he had the most "bad luck". All of this and was tied for 3rd in blocked shots and 2nd in take aways. Simply put he has the signs of being able to become a top 2 defenseman and his progression follows closely to Duncan Keith.

He isn't a top 2 defenseman yet but if you find him a more solid defensive partner than any that we can offer to him now (Wideman or Butler, not Gio because a Butler Wideman pairing wouldn't be that pretty) he could turn a lot of heads. Some people lose their **** because 2 years ago he was still relatively unknown and even now not many outside of Flame fans realize how good he really is, but at 2.125 he is easily a steal.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I would have been okay with 4+ million if he was offer sheeted but being a statistics guy I love what I am seeing not only on the ice but by the numbers.

Brodie lead the the team in On ice sv% at .905 of the regulars (followed by Butler at .903), he had the highest Corsi relative at 10.5 of all regulars, for the second year in a row he lead the team in Corsi for regulars. With a PDO of 968 (it should average out to 1000) he had the lowest PDO out of the regular defenders meaning he had the most "bad luck". All of this and was tied for 3rd in blocked shots and 2nd in take aways. Simply put he has the signs of being able to become a top 2 defenseman and his progression follows closely to Duncan Keith.

He isn't a top 2 defenseman yet but if you find him a more solid defensive partner than any that we can offer to him now (Wideman or Butler, not Gio because a Butler Wideman pairing wouldn't be that pretty) he could turn a lot of heads. Some people lose their **** because 2 years ago he was still relatively unknown and even now not many outside of Flame fans realize how good he really is, but at 2.125 he is easily a steal.
It is a good contract and he is a good player I'm not arguing that at all. The fact that I am arguing is how he should be developed. He may benefit in a large role but I like the way Detroit develops there prospects. The time they take with their players allows a player to develop a complete game and perfect the parts of their games that they are best at.
I'm sure that Hartley will develop Brodie well though. I like how he uses the young players.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It is a good contract and he is a good player I'm not arguing that at all. The fact that I am arguing is how he should be developed. He may benefit in a large role but I like the way Detroit develops there prospects. The time they take with their players allows a player to develop a complete game and perfect the parts of their games that they are best at.
I'm sure that Hartley will develop Brodie well though. I like how he uses the young players.

Who was the last star on defense that Detroit developed?

Again look at Keith when he was 24 in his 3rd year he played 25 minutes a night and that didn't hurt him at all, at 23 he played 23 minutes and was just fine. The cautious approach is great for prospects that need to gain weight, work on glaring holes in their game, or adjust to new leagues but at this point the only think Brodie needs is game experience. He needs to see every situation and playing 22 minutes or so will not hurt him at all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Again look at Keith when he was 24 in his 3rd year he played 25 minutes a night and that didn't hurt him at all, at 23 he played 23 minutes and was just fine. The cautious approach is great for prospects that need to gain weight, work on glaring holes in their game, or adjust to new leagues but at this point the only think Brodie needs is game experience. He needs to see every situation and playing 22 minutes or so will not hurt him at all.

Agree 110%.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Thank-you Don Meehan. (PK Subbans' agent)

Nice deal, I hope as other Flames prospects emerge into NHLers they have to sign a "show me" contract after their ELC. No more Phaneuf type contracts.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

I too agree with this. As of right now, I think Brodie is at the level of a solid #3 on most clubs. He rarely gets burned, is great with his stick, smart, good positionally and skates really well. His offense is Starting to come as well. I think he has top line potential, and the only way he'll get there is by logging heavy minutes. Lets see what this kid is made of, it's a perfect season for him to take on a bigger role.

Hopefully his body can hold up to 82 games. Love this signing, perfect "prove it to me" contract. If he does well, he'll get paid next contract. Great motivator for a young guy like Brodie.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Subban took a similar bridge contract even though he proved a lot more than Brodie. And now he's got the Norris in the bag you bet he'll get a fat contrac next

I'd be more than happy to give TJ a fat contract if he proves himself

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
After last year's game against Boston, I became a HUGE Brodie fan.

9-0 final, 7 even strength goals, Brodie played almost 25 minutes and was EVEN!

I mean to not be on the ice for ONE of 7 even strength goals is mind blowing, especially in his first real year in the league, against Boston!

Jbow was -5, Butler was -7!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
After last year's game against Boston, I became a HUGE Brodie fan.

9-0 final, 7 even strength goals, Brodie played almost 25 minutes and was EVEN!

I mean to not be on the ice for ONE of 7 even strength goals is mind blowing, especially in his first real year in the league, against Boston!

Jbow was -5, Butler was -7!

7 even strength and one short-handed goal against, as well, for which Brodie was again not on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad