Confirmed with Link: Flames ink Brodie (2 years 2.125 annual)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What a ****ing deal. Right now he is probably our best defenseman (going by last year). I would have paid him 3 million for this up coming year this a great deal.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I think he is greatly overrated on this board but also think he is a very good young player and the contract is fair.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
How would you rank him and what do you think we would rank him as?

I would say he is a good number 4 d man, can play an offensive role as well as penalty kill if needed. Still developing but I believe that is where he is most effective. Play around 15-17 minutes a night.
He is not a top 3 defenceman yet, he may develop into one but he should not be relied on to be one this early in his NHL career or people will be disappointed. He needs to develop more of a defensive game, I seen him get beat like a rented mule a few times last year. The worst was against Columbus I believe he got walked around like a pylon on one goal.

People are touting him to be a top 3 defenceman with the upside of an elite top 2. Over an 82 game season he will be more exposed I believe unless he develops good. He will be torn apart if he is asked to play 25+ minutes a night for 82 games.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I like Brodie and how far he's come since being a 4th rounder. He has great decision making and offensive instincts but he has obvious imperfections in his game. Common for a young player. In my mind he needs more time as a 4th/5th defenceman with limited responsibility

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I would say he is a good number 4 d man, can play an offensive role as well as penalty kill if needed. Still developing but I believe that is where he is most effective. Play around 15-17 minutes a night.
He is not a top 3 defenceman yet, he may develop into one but he should not be relied on to be one this early in his NHL career or people will be disappointed. He needs to develop more of a defensive game, I seen him get beat like a rented mule a few times last year. The worst was against Columbus I believe he got walked around like a pylon on one goal.

People are touting him to be a top 3 defenceman with the upside of an elite top 2. Over an 82 game season he will be more exposed I believe unless he develops good. He will be torn apart if he is asked to play 25+ minutes a night for 82 games.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I like Brodie and how far he's come since being a 4th rounder. He has great decision making and offensive instincts but he has obvious imperfections in his game. Common for a young player. In my mind he needs more time as a 4th/5th defenceman with limited responsibility

Normally I'd agree with not throwing him against their top guys for 25minutes night, but some guys thrive under pressure and I think Brodie could be that guy. Still not 28 minutes again but I don't want him playing sheltered minutes unless he starts to struggle consistently.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Steinberg is wrong.

it is 45 contracts officially. Monahan and Sieloff do not count towards the 50 contract limits as they are eligible to slide, they do not become official unless they play 10 games.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I won't knock your assessment at all, I only ask because people throw the term overrated around a lot but never explain what they think said player should be seen as.

I think Brodie is already a top 4 defenseman at 23 which does not happen very often. He handled his role as top 3 defenseman very well after Jbo left. While he admittedly does get beat every so often, who doesn't? Gio looked like a pylon a lot of time last year and Wideman is well Wideman.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I won't knock your assessment at all, I only ask because people throw the term overrated around a lot but never explain what they think said player should be seen as.

I think Brodie is already a top 4 defenseman at 23 which does not happen very often. He handled his role as top 3 defenseman very well after Jbo left. While he admittedly does get beat every so often, who doesn't? Gio looked like a pylon a lot of time last year and Wideman is well Wideman.
My interpretation is that we were a struggling team, with little to no expectations when Brodie was given a larger role. Therefore his emergence is exaggerated based on how bad the team was. Add in the fact that we are all about youth, and HF praises prospects, and I believe that he was overhyped. Sure there should have been hype given we are entering a rebuild and he looks promising but the talk in the value of his contract thread was getting absolutely ridiculous. Paying him 4+ million at this point in his career would have added that much more pressure to his game and would have been a train wreck. Some fans actually said they would be ok with that kind of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad