Dreger: Flames have backed off from trading Hamonic, possibly looking to extend

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hamonic seemed to have a nice bounce-back year this past season. What is an extension expected to look like in terms of $ and term?

Not a guy I’d want to give a ton of term to because of how hard he battles (his body will likely break down)

I don’t know about speculation but as a Flames fan I’d be fine with 4 years in the 4.5-5mil range

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
or more accurately the flames value Hamonic more than you do. which doesn't surprise me. As I said I eagerly await the return on Brodie. I can't see anyone offering a #12 overall, let alone adding 2 seconds
Value isn't linear. Many factors determine it. For someone named Dr Hockey, you seem to not understand basic things.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
as it should be. He's only been at his best tied to Gio

It goes both ways. Gio is much better with Brodie than with Hamilton. Does that make Brodie better than Hamilton?

I do not like Brodie because he seems to make frequent mistakes but he is a very good dman when he is on his game, Gio or not.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Good, second pairing doesn't make sense without him.

All things point to Brodie being gone. I wouldn't be mad if they kept both and somehow got rid of Stone though.

Doesn't make sense from a cap point and development point of view. The Flames can't afford to keep Brodie's cap hit around and then have all of Brodie, Hamonic, Hanifin, and Giordano in the top 4 while making room for guys like Andersson and Kylington.

Most likely all of Brodie, Stone, and one of Kylington or Valimaki are being shopped heavily. Hamonic is probably also on the trade block, but only for a deal involving a top line RW or high end 2nd line centre.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Good, second pairing doesn't make sense without him.

All things point to Brodie being gone. I wouldn't be mad if they kept both and somehow got rid of Stone though.

Doesn't make sense from a cap point and development point of view. The Flames can't afford to keep Brodie's cap hit around and then have all of Brodie, Hamonic, Hanifin, and Giordano in the top 4 while making room for guys like Andersson and Kylington.

Most likely all of Brodie, Stone, and one of Kylington or Valimaki are being shopped heavily. Hamonic is probably also on the trade block, but only for a deal involving a top line RW or high end 2nd line centre.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Probably received some **** offers so they decided it was better to keep him and re-sign him. 3 years would be ideal.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Get Valimaki out of there and it makes more sense. No reason we'd trade him after not including him in a Stone deal.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Get Valimaki out of there and it makes more sense. No reason we'd trade him after not including him in a Stone deal.

I can't see the Flames hanging onto all of Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki long-term. Andersson is looking very unlikely to be moved. The bigger issue with the Stone deal was not giving up a high end prospect for a winger the Flames would be unlikely to re-sign. The Flames would not have been able to match the 9.5 x 8 years Stone was signed for.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I could see Kylington being traded. No problem with Andersson and Valimaki playing on the 3rd pairing for a year.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I can't see the Flames hanging onto all of Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki long-term. Andersson is looking very unlikely to be moved. The bigger issue with the Stone deal was not giving up a high end prospect for a winger the Flames would be unlikely to re-sign. The Flames would not have been able to match the 9.5 x 8 years Stone was signed for.
I heard somewhere that the Flames weren't willing to give Valimaki up and were very high on him. I think it's more likely we hold onto all the young D while they're cheap instead of paying more expensive guys. Even then it's alot more likely that Kylington would be the odd man instead of Valimaki, since Valimaki has a higher ceiling/is younger/is better defensively while Kylington has skating and offensive abilities to his name. Don't feel like it's realistic Valimaki ends up getting traded.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Great news.

Hamonic has been awesome for the Flames and well worth what we gave, I would gladly make that deal again.

It would be nice to keep Brodie as well as he does play well with Gio but the cap, other roster needs and expansion draft coming up all make it make more sense to move him.

As for Valimaki I think he is with Gaudreau, Gio, Monahan and Tkachuk in that the only way they go is for a ridiculous price. He is much more valuable than Anderson or Kylington,

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I heard somewhere that the Flames weren't willing to give Valimaki up and were very high on him. I think it's more likely we hold onto all the young D while they're cheap instead of paying more expensive guys. Even then it's alot more likely that Kylington would be the odd man instead of Valimaki, since Valimaki has a higher ceiling/is younger/is better defensively while Kylington has skating and offensive abilities to his name. Don't feel like it's realistic Valimaki ends up getting traded.
I was always under the impression that the club wanted to keep the best defensive prospect. In the last couple months it seemed like Anderson really moved past Valimaki. You could be correct though. Maybe the plan is to hang onto both Valimaki and Andersson for when Giordano starts to take a step back. Defense are so hard to predict.

Maybe just Brodie and Stone are gone and the Flames keep all 3.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
Value isn't linear. Many factors determine it. For someone named Dr Hockey, you seem to not understand basic things.
no I do. Hamonic was traded as a favor to him and STILL got a #12 and two seconds after Garth Snow turned down Taylor Hall

Fallout: Islanders balked at Hamonic-Hall swap
NHL trade rumors: Oilers offered Islanders Taylor Hall for Travis Hamonic

my point is accurate Treliving traded what he felt was a fair price for Hamonic and The Flames are happy with him and Travis loves playing for them. The only reason they were considering a move is an abundance of quality young defensemen

Im just saying I seriously doubt Brodie gets as much as hamonic already got. and i doubt that most Flames fans think they will either.

and as an added benefit Hamonic will be a much better mentor than Brodie would be for Andersson and Kylington because he did it for many young islanders. if you dont like Travis thats on you, because he was and still is beloved by the islanders, A finer young man is impossible to find.

that fact alone makes this a better decision

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
no I do. Hamonic was traded as a favor to him and STILL got a #12 and two seconds after Garth Snow turned down Taylor Hall

Fallout: Islanders balked at Hamonic-Hall swap
NHL trade rumors: Oilers offered Islanders Taylor Hall for Travis Hamonic

my point is accurate Treliving traded what he felt was a fair price for Hamonic and The Flames are happy with him and Travis loves playing for them. The only reason they were considering a move is an abundance of quality young defensemen

Im just saying I seriously doubt Brodie gets as much as hamonic already got. and i doubt that most Flames fans think they will either.

and as an added benefit Hamonic will be a much better mentor than Brodie would be for Andersson and Kylington because he did it for many young islanders. if you dont like Travis thats on you, because he was and still is beloved by the islanders, A finer young man is impossible to find.

that fact alone makes this a better decision
That is one factor, but you also have to look at what the draft class was like, what Calgary valued those picks at, what the pool of Defensemen were at the time, how desperate Treliving was at the time, what other teams were in the market, age of Hamonic, health before injuries, etc... Its just not "a favour". Reasons like these are why value is never linear in the NHL. Yes, Calgary paid that, and at the time I thought it was an over payment. It neither dictates or detracts from Brodie's value.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
That is one factor, but you also have to look at what the draft class was like, what Calgary valued those picks at, what the pool of Defensemen were at the time, how desperate Treliving was at the time, what other teams were in the market, age of Hamonic, health before injuries, etc... Its just not "a favour". Reasons like these are why value is never linear in the NHL. Yes, Calgary paid that, and at the time I thought it was an over payment. It neither dictates or detracts from Brodie's value.

but it was a favor, Sow ad Hamonic both said it was due to his mothers situation, I am not detracting anything from Brodie....I just know that Brodie has always played his best with Gio, That detracts from his value because Brodie isnt getting traded with Gio

as the calgary sun noted:

"Brodie was partnered with Flames captain Mark Giordano for most of the year, but there was a brief stretch in the final 10 days of the season where he was spending more time with Dalton Prout than his usual partner."

and as huntingwhale of the CalgaryPuck forum eloquently stated:

"Reuniting with Gio has brought out the best in him. Even though I don't know him personally, it's hard not to feel proud when you witness someone turning their career around when a ton of people were ready to ship him off for a bag of pucks. Addition by subtraction so to speak."

and other teams know it too

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I was always under the impression that the club wanted to keep the best defensive prospect. In the last couple months it seemed like Anderson really moved past Valimaki. You could be correct though. Maybe the plan is to hang onto both Valimaki and Andersson for when Giordano starts to take a step back. Defense are so hard to predict.

Maybe just Brodie and Stone are gone and the Flames keep all 3.
Yeah I have no idea which d-man they value more (based off his two playoff games I'd have go with Valimaki along with the parts of the season he did play.). I'd have to guess they value Valimaki and Andersson similarly but with them being on different sides equally valuable while Kylington is just behind due to a lack of two way play on their level. I just feel like they keep both/all three and use older players to shore up the offensive depth. At least that's the way I see it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Weird. 2 pages and no speculation on salary?

What are Flame fans thinking? 4-5 mil?

I find it hard to say because it seems that Hamonic really wants to be here based on previous comments, he also doesn't seem like a guy that would go for money over comfort. That said he does have an agent that looks out for things like that.

I would love a 4 x 4, be happy with 4 x 4.5 and expect 4 x 5 which is fine. More years than that and I am getting a little concerned unless there is a good salary attached.

But really with the way defensemen salaries are going it could be over 5. I know I basically just gave out way too many possibilities and didn't really answer but I guess my true answer is I am not sure.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I find it hard to say because it seems that Hamonic really wants to be here based on previous comments, he also doesn't seem like a guy that would go for money over comfort. That said he does have an agent that looks out for things like that.

I would love a 4 x 4, be happy with 4 x 4.5 and expect 4 x 5 which is fine. More years than that and I am getting a little concerned unless there is a good salary attached.

But really with the way defensemen salaries are going it could be over 5. I know I basically just gave out way too many possibilities and didn't really answer but I guess my true answer is I am not sure.

No I appreciate it. I was thinking he could probably command close to 6 on the free market and that you guys could get a bit of a deal.

If I recall he has family reasons to stay no?

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB

Valimaki is better than Andersson is. He will he the Flames' top dman after Gio hangs it up

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB

Valimaki was on record as being unavailable for Stone. That says a ton

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Valimaki was on record as being unavailable for Stone. That says a ton
Exactly. He is extremely valuable and has extremely high potential that Treliving sees in him. (He also apparently sees Milos Roman in a similar way so that's interesting)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad