Speculation: Flames Goalie Trade??

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Calgary has called up Dustin Wolf today, but Friedman says “HE BELIEVES” it’s more for injury protection for their 3 game road trip BUT let’s be honest…. Who does that with two healthy goalies?

Wouldn’t he have mentioned an injury to Markstrom or Vladar, if that was the case? Neither is even on the injury report mandated by the league… It’s not like if one gets injured, Wolf can’t be summoned for the next game anyway... Every team has that same issue, every road trip. You can get your 3rd goaltender to the next city, rather easily.

It would be naive for people to think something might not be up. Is a trade close? Are the leafs, Ottawa or Oilers ready to make a move?

Yep, I said Ottawa… They have to be concerned with playing Korpisalo this much… and it’s showing in his play. He’s trending almost 60 starts, and has never had more than 39… They need a cheap 1B option. With Korpisalo hovering around a .900 save percentage, Forsberg’s .862 isn’t going to cut it. It’s a concern.. It would also stop the Leafs from getting Vladar.

Obviously the Flames are likely NOT interested in sending Vladar to the Oilers. Could Ottawa be making a move to replace Forsberg? It would be a smart move.. Who else could be making a move for Vladar? Assuming that’s who it is…

As for the Oilers, we all know they’re hunting for a savior in net, for cheap, and it’s not likely that the Flames are going to come to their rescue.. Maybe keep an eye Kenny’s former team and James Reimer. He’d waive for the opportunity to be the Oilers #1 for the rest of the year… Speaking of Detroit, another name the Oilers could look at, would be Alex Lyon, who’s just sitting on Detroit’s roster at $900,000 for two years. What he did in Florida last year, has to be of interest in Edmonton. Both could be an option for Kenny Holland, with the cap where it’s at.

Just don’t think the Flames will be handing him Vladar… Kenny Holland has to know his job is on the line.

Bond

May 10, 2012
You are definitely reading into this too much. But yeah Vladar could definitely be available
I’d be happy if they traded markstrom though. I’m still nervous they’ll sign Lindholm to a terrible contract if they pull a run out of their ass

Ledge And Dairy

I’d be happy if they traded markstrom though. I’m still nervous they’ll sign Lindholm to a terrible contract if they pull a run out of their ass
Markstrom is pretty much unmovable unless he asks. He is also excellent at the mentor roles so I would rather he stays to be that for Wolf. The best way to bring up a goalie is to ease them into the NHL behind someone who can teach them, not throw them to the dogs but making them a tandem goalie right away

As for Lindholm, if the team starts firing on all cylinders and looks good I would rather keep him, getting a 1C replacement is pretty much impossible right now unless you draft high. Firing on all cylinders also includes Kadri and Huberdeau getting their acts together (albeit Kadri has looked good the last 3 games playing with Little Z and Yegor).

Reactions: Boomstick

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Markstrom appears to be over whatever the hell happened to him last year.

Just handing Wolf the starting spot is very risky

Reactions: Nanuuk and Fig

Bond

May 10, 2012
Markstrom is pretty much unmovable unless he asks. He is also excellent at the mentor roles so I would rather he stays to be that for Wolf. The best way to bring up a goalie is to ease them into the NHL behind someone who can teach them, not throw them to the dogs but making them a tandem goalie right away

As for Lindholm, if the team starts firing on all cylinders and looks good I would rather keep him, getting a 1C replacement is pretty much impossible right now unless you draft high. Firing on all cylinders also includes Kadri and Huberdeau getting their acts together (albeit Kadri has looked good the last 3 games playing with Little Z and Yegor).
Lindholm on an 8 year contract at the 9+ he wants is not appealing to me at all. He is a low end #1c and isn't a line driver. If the Flames didn't have Kadri signed then it wouldn't matter as much but they do and should really just waive the white flag and rebuild or do a significant re-tool.

Markstrom appears to be over whatever the hell happened to him last year.

Just handing Wolf the starting spot is very risky
I think splitting goalie duties between Vladar and Wolf is fine if the context is that they are fine with losing.

Ledge And Dairy

Lindholm on an 8 year contract at the 9+ he wants is not appealing to me at all. He is a low end #1c and isn't a line driver. If the Flames didn't have Kadri signed then it wouldn't matter as much but they do and should really just waive the white flag and rebuild or do a significant re-tool.

I think splitting goalie duties between Vladar and Wolf is fine if the context is that they are fine with losing.
Lindholm is not a line driver no but calling him a low end 1C is also not correct. He's certainly not a top 10 center but he really isn't that far outside, definitely top 20. Lindholm is like Couturier (Bergeron-lite), a supportive center that does all the hard work defensively for his offensive wingers to thrive. He is pretty much never the guy breaking the defensive zone early and is generally the trailing forward on rushes. But he is very reliable for supporting the defense in retrieving the puck and starting breakouts.

As for Vladar - Wolf. I disagree with that. To me that is hardly better than what Philly did with Hart. They basically forced the starting job on him too fast and hurt his growth. Hart is fine now because of his potential and pedigree but I would be significantly more hesitant to give Wolf 35+ games a season to start with his size and Vladar isn't ready for a workload of 50+

Reactions: Nanuuk

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Going to the game saturday, hopefully wolf plays so I actually have something to look forward to lol

Reactions: Boomstick

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Calgary has called up Dustin Wolf today, but Friedman says “HE BELIEVES” it’s more for injury protection for their 3 game road trip BUT let’s be honest…. Who does that with two healthy goalies?

Wouldn’t he have mentioned an injury to Markstrom or Vladar, if that was the case? Neither is even on the injury report mandated by the league… It’s not like if one gets injured, Wolf can’t be summoned for the next game anyway... Every team has that same issue, every road trip. You can get your 3rd goaltender to the next city, rather easily.

It would be naive for people to think something might not be up. Is a trade close? Are the leafs, Ottawa or Oilers ready to make a move?

Yep, I said Ottawa… They have to be concerned with playing Korpisalo this much… and it’s showing in his play. He’s trending almost 60 starts, and has never had more than 39… They need a cheap 1B option. With Korpisalo hovering around a .900 save percentage, Forsberg’s .862 isn’t going to cut it. It’s a concern.. It would also stop the Leafs from getting Vladar.

Obviously the Flames are likely NOT interested in sending Vladar to the Oilers. Could Ottawa be making a move to replace Forsberg? It would be a smart move.. Who else could be making a move for Vladar? Assuming that’s who it is…

As for the Oilers, we all know they’re hunting for a savior in net, for cheap, and it’s not likely that the Flames are going to come to their rescue.. Maybe keep an eye Kenny’s former team and James Reimer. He’d waive for the opportunity to be the Oilers #1 for the rest of the year… Speaking of Detroit, another name the Oilers could look at, would be Alex Lyon, who’s just sitting on Detroit’s roster at $900,000 for two years. What he did in Florida last year, has to be of interest in Edmonton. Both could be an option for Kenny Holland, with the cap where it’s at.

Just don’t think the Flames will be handing him Vladar… Kenny Holland has to know his job is on the line.
Doubt Detroit is going to want Campbell's caphit for next 4 years.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Vlad is available if a team meets the ask, which hasn’t happened. Wolfe is up to cover Markstrom taking some time off.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Lindholm is not a line driver no but calling him a low end 1C is also not correct. He's certainly not a top 10 center but he really isn't that far outside, definitely top 20. Lindholm is like Couturier (Bergeron-lite), a supportive center that does all the hard work defensively for his offensive wingers to thrive. He is pretty much never the guy breaking the defensive zone early and is generally the trailing forward on rushes. But he is very reliable for supporting the defense in retrieving the puck and starting breakouts.

As for Vladar - Wolf. I disagree with that. To me that is hardly better than what Philly did with Hart. They basically forced the starting job on him too fast and hurt his growth. Hart is fine now because of his potential and pedigree but I would be significantly more hesitant to give Wolf 35+ games a season to start with his size and Vladar isn't ready for a workload of 50+
He’d be near the bottom of the 20 best centres if not the 20th. That’s a low end #1 centre. He’d be fine to have if the Flames didn’t already have Kadri locked up and they could hope to draft a #1. Do you really think the Flames as constructed can make noise in the playoffs, let alone when they lose half their d core, I sure don’t.
They’d probably get some vet goalie to ride out starts if they trade Markstrom anyways.

Ledge And Dairy

He’d be near the bottom of the 20 best centres if not the 20th. That’s a low end #1 centre. He’d be fine to have if the Flames didn’t already have Kadri locked up and they could hope to draft a #1. Do you really think the Flames as constructed can make noise in the playoffs, let alone when they lose half their d core, I sure don’t.
They’d probably get some vet goalie to ride out starts if they trade Markstrom anyways.
I think I witnessed a team reverse their way into the playoffs then go on a run to the finals. I think I witnessed that happen 2 years ago in the bubble too, and then the year before that too in the covid shortened season. So yes I do think Calgary could absolutely go on a run. Do I expect it? No as the team is stuck in 1st gear as long as our top players continue to struggle.

I really don't see how Kadri is relevant here at all. Him being locked up is irrelevant as he is not a 1C in any way shape or form. The issue still lies that if this team is too good to tank for a legitimate 1C (which pretty much means a top 10 pick at minimum) then keeping Lindholm is absolutely the better option as there is literally no one on the market any time remotely soon that is better. If the team does struggle and stay at the bottom of the league then I am absolutely open to trading him along with our other UFA's to get more picks in the upcoming drafts and/or solid prospects from other teams.

Again trading Markstrom is still 100% his decision, whether you want to move him or not is irrelevant unless he is willing to move. What I do know is that he has proven to be a very supportive mentor figure in the past so I would absolutely love to keep that around as we transition to Wolf as the start over the next 2-3 years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is a big fat nothing burger.

Conroy made it pretty clear Wolf would see time in the NHL this year, whether we moved Vladar or not. So recalling him for a short road trip with a B2B makes sense. He could even be sent back after the game with Ottawa and start against Bakersfield on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Reactions: Fig

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Huh? He said Lyon to Edmonton, not Campbell to Detroit. Lyon is at 900k for 2 years, i.e. cheap.o
Detroit makes sense. Lyon or Reimer wouldn't break the bank from an acquisition perspective, and my understanding is Detroit is carrying three goalies right now because they think Lyon would get claimed and they'd lose him for nothing (and they're right, half a dozen teams in the league are looking for goalies to stop the bleeding)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Detroit makes sense. Lyon or Reimer wouldn't break the bank from an acquisition perspective, and my understanding is Detroit is carrying three goalies right now because they think Lyon would get claimed and they'd lose him for nothing (and they're right, half a dozen teams in the league are looking for goalies to stop the bleeding)

I think it might be a nice option for the Oilers.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The logic for Ottawa is stupid

Even if Sens suddenly hated Forsberg they have soogard who they can give a couple of games to. Not to mention trading for vlader means either overpaying by moving Forsberg in the same deal or finding a trade for Forsberg with no leverage

Also can't forget the fact that Forsberg is better but that's too logical here

Reactions: Altimus

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean it when I say I'm not even sure Vladar is an upgrade on what we already have. His numbers sure don't suggest he is.

You'd be wrong in that. Our playing style is just brutal for goalies.

He got .850 sv% against Seattle and was excellent. Markstrom's under .900 and has been one of our best players. Does that make sense in the normal way of looking at goalies? No, not at all and yet it's happening. We just completely cut down low percentage shots mixed in with a couple defensive breakdowns a game that are near guaranteed goals.

Vladar had an 11 game no loss streak last year with a .895 sv% on a non-playoff team. Made no sense but the team trusted him.

I like the guy but Wolf is just to tempting to wait any longer.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You'd be wrong in that. Our playing style is just brutal for goalies.

He got .850 sv% against Seattle and was excellent. Markstrom's under .900 and has been one of our best players. Does that make sense in the normal way of looking at goalies? No, not at all and yet it's happening. We just completely cut down low percentage shots mixed in with a couple defensive breakdowns a game that are near guaranteed goals.

Vladar had an 11 game no loss streak last year with a .895 sv% on a non-playoff team. Made no sense but the team trusted him.
You are describing, to a T, the 2023-24 Edmonton Oilers. They don't give up a lot of chances but the ones they do give up are absolute jailbreaks. All the more season to not go anywhere near Vladar.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
You are describing, to a T, the 2023-24 Edmonton Oilers. They don't give up a lot of chances but the ones they do give up are absolute jailbreaks. All the more season to not going anywhere near Vladar.

I don't think any goalie is stopping our breakdowns. If Wolf can come in and put up a 0.910 he'll be worshipped. No goalie is putting up .925 with how we play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad