Flames Future & Trade Block 2022

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Hello GM’s

Well, injuries continue to damper the baby Flamettes season - as Pastrnak returns from 30 games out, Larkin heads out long term.

I need all my weapons to compete with them Canucks and Kings and the sim has not been kind and so while the playoffs are within reach, competing in them seems a distant hope.

So, despite the early season optimism the Flames are fading and as we approach deadline we’re probably a seller - although there are two long term pieces the Flames need to address and I’m looking into that now.

Selling:

Rask - one of the elite goalies in the sim and comes off the books at the end of the season due to his retirement.
Giordano - pending unrestricted free agent with a known price if you want to extend. Still a top pair D for your playoff run
Lee - 90 SC rating - need a top 6 scoring winger? Lee is your man to provide another weapon. 90SC rating!
Klingberg - he’s got a great contract for the remainder of the year. One of the best rated PA from the back end - get your PP firing more than blanks.

Buying:

With NHL injuries to the young goalies Luukkonen and Tarasov, and no defensive prospects emerging full time from the back-end, the Flames need:

A 2022/23 starting goaltender. Could be a quick fix but the Flames have the young roster players, prospects and picks to make a play long term here as well.

A defenseman to replace Giordano. Doesn’t have to be a top pairing D but needs to be on a competitive contract.

Also:

The Flames are not frigid about trading any player right now - or any prospects. It might be time for a reshuffle of some of the pieces. I’ve had offers on Pastrnak but you better being your elite prospects and top ten picks to the table. Same goes for Barzal and Svechnikov.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames are still looking for a top pair D - can be a rental or a long-term deal. If you haven't been approached by me and have someone you're will to talk trade on, look me up.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames have made multiple trades over the past three days.

In total, the tally incoming is five new players:

D Braydon Coburn
D Nikita Zadorov

This improves my 2nd and 3rd pairings for the playoffs

G Sergei Bobrovsky

Bob will replace Rask as the starter in '23.

F Sean Monahan
F Nick Bonino

Two players were acquired to improve the 3rd line which always seem to get eaten alive by the Canucks.

And for the future:

G Keith Petruzzelli
2023 1st Round Pick
2022 2nd Round Pick
2022 5th Round Pick

Outgoing

Anders Lee - the former 7th round pick was a cap casualty with Svechnikov getting his $7m+ contract next year
Carter Savoie - the Flames didn't want to trade Carter but the offer, in a super-strong 23 draft, was too good to say no. Went for the '23 1st round pick.
Ethan Bear - love this player but the upgrade to Zadorov is needed to combat the Kings and Canucks, and Zadorov will replace some of Gio's minutes next year while Bear hasn't quite settled in Carolina yet.
Carey Price - this was a gamble to land him yesterday in order to have the salary to flip for the incoming '23 starting goalie - but was done a day in advance of the final goalie trade for Bob. I made serious offers for a raft of goalies, including Kuemper, Forsberg and Vasi.
2023 2nd Round Pick
2024 2nd Round Pick
2023 3rd Round Pick
2022 4th Round Pick
2022 6th Round Pick
2022 7th Round Pick
Austin Rueschhoff
and Tanner Kaspick were roster number casualties

Reactions: Ohio Jones

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames quick trade list.

I'm looking at restructuring my defence, so pretty much everyone is on the block there.

Klingberg, Ekholm, Savard.

Up front, I'm looking at a hockey trade that nets me some $ savings, so Backlund and Monahan (for a late 2nd or 3rd rounder), or Pastrnak are all on the block.

Reactions: Ohio Jones

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames have extended Zadorov and Nichushkin to 4 year deals.

Flames are making serious attempts to find a hockey trade for John Klingberg. Looking for a different style Dman - 2nd pairing around the same salary range is fine. If you need a PP QB, hit me up.

Anyone with cap space willing to wait and see about how Sean Monahan bounces back after his surgeries and trade (hot and heavy rumors out there about a trade to Philly or the Rangers in RL) - willing to take a mid round pick with a future consideration if he bounces back to a 60pt or higher season.

Laurent Brossoit is a backup who is great for the cap conscious- makes $2m per. Not looking for much in return. Mid round or multiple late picks will get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad