Value of: Flames forwards

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
The Flames have too many guys in the bottom-six right now and IMO they need to ship some of them out.

What would your team be willing to pay for any of these guys?

matt-stajan-of-the-calgary-flames-in-an-nhl-game-against-the-at-the-picture-id870394742

Matt Stajan
Centre
33 years old
Signed through 2017-18 ($3.125 million)
14 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, -3, 10 PIM, -5.4 CF% rel, 95.3 PDO, 51.0 FO%

Stajan is a tough guy to gauge because he's just, you know, there. He's been the Flames' 13th forward this season, barely playing when he draws into the lineup, and looking invisible during those few minutes a night. Stajan is kinda like a late-stage Yanic Perreault at this point -- good at faceoffs, a decent penalty-killer, and that's about it. He's a UFA after this season so his contract wouldn't be an issue.

kris-versteeg-of-the-calgary-flames-shoots-during-the-game-against-picture-id860601440

Kris Versteeg
Left/right wing
31 years old
Signed through 2017-18 ($1.75 million)
22 GP, 3 G, 5 A, 8 P, -8, 6 PIM, -7.1 CF% rel, 97.4 PDO

Versteeg is a polarizing player among Flames fans. To many, he's a fan favourite thanks to his spurning of the Oilers and his fun personality, as well as his playmaking skills. However, many others view him as a useless player at 5v5 who sucks up PP time that would be better used with someone else. Versteeg is easily the best player on this list, likely has the most value, and is probably the least likely to be dealt, especially if the Flames look to be contending. Unlike everyone else on this list, he's still managing to contribute at a somewhat-acceptable clip despite a woeful on-ice shooting percentage, and is most likely to rebound from his below-average start.

troy-brouwer-of-the-calgary-flames-checks-adam-henrique-of-the-new-picture-id633740004

Troy Brouwer
Right wing
Signed through 2019-20 ($4.5 million)
23 GP, 0 G, 4 A, 4 P, -6, 23 PIM, -7.8 CF% rel, 96.4 PDO

Another guy with a real low PDO, Brouwer is probably the least-movable guy on this list, due to his contract, but I figured I'd throw his name out there. Though his stats don't reflect it, Brouwer's actually made significant improvements from last year to this one. He's been used pretty heavily on the penalty kill and has been generally effective in that role. He just... can't... score. He's playing under 13 minutes a night this year and has been taken off the powerplay, for the most part. Honestly, I think he needs a change of scenery. Perhaps a contract swap could work.

Other guys who might be available, but whose invested value to the Flames likely outweighs their trade value:
Sam Bennett
Curtis Lazar
Freddie Hamilton

Guys who are most assuredly not available:
Johnny Gaudreau
Sean Monahan
Mikael Backlund
Matthew Tkachuk
Micheal Ferland
Michael Frolik
Jaromir Jagr

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Stajan and Brouwer have negative value due to their cap. About the only trade is to get similarly bad contracts back. Freddie Hamilton can't be traded without Dougie can he?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Stajan and Brouwer have negative value due to their cap. About the only trade is to get similarly bad contracts back. Freddie Hamilton can't be traded without Dougie can he?

That's exactly why I put Freddie in that category.

I don't think Stajan has negative value, though, considering his UFA status. If you look at historical precedence with guys like that, Viktor Stalberg and David Jones both fetched picks in the final years of their inflated contracts. Brouwer, as I mentioned, is more likely to be a contract swap.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Bennett seems destined to end up on the Blues with the way they trade for disappointing former top 10 draft picks.

It's a shrewd, low risk strategy by Armstrong.

Reactions: mab894

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't get why everyone is looking for trades for the Flames.

4th line guys have no value and trading Bennett now is a no win scenario.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stajan might have a small amount of value at the deadline as a depth guy on a contender. But until then, he won't be going anywhere (and even then I have my doubts because of his value to the team off the ice).

Brouwer's contract is pretty bad at the moment and won't be going anywhere unless it is a cap dump in a bigger deal. Which IMO would probably be best for Brouwer, he just doesn't fit well with the Flames and I think on another club he could really bounce back.

Versteeg, pending UFA, relatively cheap contract and he's gone as a deadline rental in the not too distant future, so I feel like he has the best chance of another team wanting to acquire him; but since the Flames won't bench him and still like to use him on the #1PP, I doubt he will go anywhere.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Stajan and Versteeg would have some value to a team at the deadline. Whether filling in for injuries or just for cheap depth. I imagine a couple mid round picks for the both of them. Brouwer's multiple years makes him essentially unmovable.

However, the Flames appear competitive this year. I can't see us moving any of the three players mentioned.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Sign me up for moving Brouwer for anything but a worse contract.

Stajan @50% for like a 5th round pick or a "better than Bartkowski" defenseman could work but who cares.

F Hamilton probably doesn't even get claimed on waivers.

As said, Lazar and Bennett are better off staying on the team.

That leaves Steeger as the only realistically moveable piece for any value. With his play so far we are looking at a 4th round pick at best but if he picks it up we might as well keep him so we have some type of depth scoring in playoffs.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Would be nice to get a decent pick (like a 3rd rounder for Versteeg) that would make it a 2nd if a team went far in the playoffs, but no team is going to give a 2nd/3rd for Versteeg, with good reason.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Do you guys think Versteeg is an upgrade over Beau Bennett?

I think it would be wise for the Blues to target someone like Steeger/Vrbata to add a viable PP option to our second unit to get Sundqvist off of the PP. There's only one logical explanation as to why Sundqvist is even thought about as a PP player and it's because he's our only RH shot aside from Thorburn ( not sure if Bennett is hurt or just didn't work out)

Regardless I think something around the terms of a 4th with a condition to turn to a 3rd if STL gets to WCF or SCF would be something that would be beneficial.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think it would be wise for the Blues to target someone like Steeger/Vrbata to add a viable PP option to our second unit to get Sundqvist off of the PP. There's only one logical explanation as to why Sundqvist is even thought about as a PP player and it's because he's our only RH shot aside from Thorburn ( not sure if Bennett is hurt or just didn't work out)

Regardless I think something around the terms of a 4th with a condition to turn to a 3rd if STL gets to WCF or SCF would be something that would be beneficial.
I think Versteeg would be an upgrade over Beau Bennett, yes. The last time Versteeg was dealt, was for Zykov and a 5th, at the time Zykov was fairly well regarded defensive prospect. If it was for strictly a pick, I would guess he's get closer to a second than a conditional 3rd. Despite playing on the 4th line he is still on the 1st PP unit and putting up close to a 30 point pace.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think Versteeg would be an upgrade over Beau Bennett, yes. The last time Versteeg was dealt, was for Zykov and a 5th, at the time Zykov was fairly well regarded defensive prospect. If it was for strictly a pick, I would guess he's get closer to a second than a conditional 3rd. Despite playing on the 4th line he is still on the 1st PP unit and putting up close to a 30 point pace.

Right, with our first gone I don't see trading the second unless front office really loves someone along the lines of Versteeg or that mould. I'd assume that the price wouldn't be worth it as opposed to giving Bennett another shot, keeping Sundqvist on the PP, or calling up Tage Thompson and giving him an extended opportunity to gel.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Right, with our first gone I don't see trading the second unless front office really loves someone along the lines of Versteeg or that mould. I'd assume that the price wouldn't be worth it as opposed to giving Bennett another shot, keeping Sundqvist on the PP, or calling up Tage Thompson and giving him an extended opportunity to gel.
There would always be the possibility of a later pick plus a prospect like LA gave to Carolina. I was just stating what his value probably roughly is at the deadline. However prior to the deadline, I could see his value being less. That said, I don't expect him to be traded because he is getting regular time on the top PP unit.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ritchie for Bennett.....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Think the Blues woulf do Paajarvi and a 4th/5th for Versteeg?

Reactions: Flameshomer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad