Confirmed with Link: Flames fire Geoff Ward, Hire Darryl Sutter as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Its pretty tough to do when you play every other night. Hopefully squeezing in a bag skate here and there leaves a lasting impression.
True, but its also about fitness and work habits. A Hartley camp and a Sutter camp is a different animal from a Gulutzan or Ward camp. Peters was probably closer to the first two I think.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
True, but its also about fitness and work habits. A Hartley camp and a Sutter camp is a different animal from a Gulutzan or Ward camp. Peters was probably closer to the first two I think.
Gulutzan skated these guys quite a bit too. Its kind of about fitness. These guys are professional athletes and they've played 26 games in 51 nights, without factoring in the break, they're as physically fit as they're ever going to be. They are 100% fatigued. What Sutter is working on is the mental side of fitness. The ability to push through when you feel there's nothing left and like you say, commitment to fitness. I guarantee you, not many of these guys showed up to camp, anywhere close to game shape, which makes the effects of this season far worse.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Gulutzan skated these guys quite a bit too. Its kind of about fitness. These guys are professional athletes and they've played 26 games in 51 nights, without factoring in the break, they're as physically fit as they're ever going to be. They are 100% fatigued. What Sutter is working on is the mental side of fitness. The ability to push through when you feel there's nothing left and like you say, commitment to fitness. I guarantee you, not many of these guys showed up to camp, anywhere close to game shape, which makes the effects of this season far worse.
No doubt every coach in the league emphasizes fitness, and I wonder if the major difference in that part between a Hartley/Sutter and a Gulutzan, is that all guys are fit and in game shape, but a lot of them are just kind of comfortably fit and focusing on staying healthy, where as the former coaches ask guys to go above and beyond to keep pushing and go into an unfimiliar spot of intense work ethic regardless of the situation. Just getting guys to be 'comfortable' and then hammering in systems has a much longer life cycle in terms of player buy-in relative to asking for 110% night in and night out, practice or game, and coaches have a harder time maintaining a room like that because asking for that effort requires a lot of push back.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No doubt every coach in the league emphasizes fitness, and I wonder if the major difference in that part between a Hartley/Sutter and a Gulutzan, is that all guys are fit and in game shape, but a lot of them are just kind of comfortably fit and focusing on staying healthy, where as the former coaches ask guys to go above and beyond to keep pushing and go into an unfimiliar spot of intense work ethic regardless of the situation. Just getting guys to be 'comfortable' and then hammering in systems has a much longer life cycle in terms of player buy-in relative to asking for 110% night in and night out, practice or game, and coaches have a harder time maintaining a room like that because asking for that effort requires a lot of push back.
Kind of, but what suggesting is more mental and shear determination, almost like triggering a survival instinct. Like when others stop, you just push harder and eventually you just start feeding off of it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-3-10_23-27-3.png

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Didn’t Gully try to play a system that was favourable in preventing injuries?

I think he had a discussion with Treliving and they experimented. Hartley Flames had some of the highest man games lost. It's not great to lose your players to injuries.

With Gulutzan and a puck moving goalie in Smith, Treliving mentioned that the dmen alone could potentially be hit like 2-4 times less a game or something. This doesn't seem like much at all, but it amplifies over 82 games + playoffs. The Flames under Gulutzan had some of the lowest man games lost in the league. The unfortunate side effect was that the kids couldn't ever come up and play. The regulars were never injured to give the kids a chance to play. I don't think the system was specific in trying to reduce man games lost though. I think it was just a side benefit of the system which inadvertently turned out to be way too good at reducing wear and tear on the players.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Fun? Really?

TBH though, it seems like we have quite a few guys who don't mind putting in the slog if it means they get to gloat about the results. That's straight up still awesome and an excellent revisit to "always earned, never given".

We need more kids on the roster though. Does Darryl trust them or does he lean towards vets? Darryl has his faves of course, but does he have a vet vs kid preference?

Gotta love the second part of that statement.

Almost want to give Sam the doll and ask "Where did Geoff hurt you?"

Geoff only?

Reactions: Mobiandi

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We need more kids on the roster though. Does Darryl trust them or does he lean towards vets? Darryl has his faves of course, but does he have a vet vs kid preference?

Look no further than "3rd string goalie" Mikka Kiprusoff suddenly being Darryl's starter back in 2003. He trusts guys if they can play.

The Kings had plenty of young players come in and rise up through the ranks under Darryl.

Jake Muzzin and Derek Forbort both basically started their NHL careers on a defense pair with Drew Doughty.

Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli played with Jeff Carter almost right away.

A lot of the Kings' bottom line players were players progressing through the minors. Names like Nick Shore and Nic Dowd,

The one concern is that if Darryl decides you're a tweener, you probably won't get into the lineup. Jordan Weal might have had a different career trajectory elsewhere, and I always liked that player; I still do. I hope Darryl doesn't decide Phillips is a tweener, because Phillips is talented AF.

Darryl also trusts his vets. Gio will be our version of Willie Mitchell. But Darryl keeps those vets ACCOUNTABLE!

Always Earned, Never Given is back!

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think Darryl recognizes that Sam was a 4th overall for a reason and that those skill sets might be tarnished from the way he was developed and used. A little bit of polish and that 4th round guy might just be around the corner.

I've noticed that Kylington looks like he's rotating in for tonight's Habs game. My hunch is that Sutter wants to assess this guy, because Nessie is so-so. Shill had better show up ready to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad