Flames Expansion Look Ahead

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames have only a couple of hard choices. Most of the choices are pretty self explanatory.

The Flames will go with the 7-3-1 option.

With the team 2nd overall in the league, the playoffs seem in reach and the Flames want to continue to compete for the next few years, especially as the younger core hits their peak. That means we may protect older veterans at the expense of younger bottom 6 or bottom pair D types.

There are some roster players that the Flames will not have to worry about - the key of these is Ryan Getzlaf, who is in his last season as a Flame. The most likely route is that the Flames will hold until the playoffs and then let Getzlaf become a free agent. Getzlaf's $8m won't fit in the predicted cap -- and the Flames need to pay Mat Barzal, John Klingberg, David Savard, and Ethan Bear this off-season.

PROTECTED PLAYERS

There are some pro's who don't need protecting:

Nikita Gusev (but, I'm most likely to trade him...)
Ryan Poehling
Mikhail Maltsev
Alex Alexeyev
Jeremy Davies
Ukko-Pekka Luukonen

CONSEQUENTIAL FREE AGENTS:

Ryan Getzlaf
Dominic Simon (or trade)

FORWARDS PROTECTED

Mathew Barzal
David Pastrnak
Dylan Larkin
Andrei Svechnikov
Mikael Backlund
Anders Lee

DECISION TIME - FORWARDS

Between Val Nichushkin, Radek Faksa, Austin Watson, Eric Robinson, Brandon Hagel, and William Carrier.

At this time, we'd protect Nichushkin. But if Hagel starts to get points and develops then we might surprise and we'd expose the Russian.

DEFENSEMAN PROTECTED

Mark Giordano
Mattias Ekholm
John Klingberg

DECISION TIME - DEFENSEMAN

A month ago, I'd have considered protecting the younger D, like Ethan Bear over Giordano. But, the success and desire to try again next year means he'll likely be exposed and I'll extend Gio.

GOALIES PROECTED

Tuuka Rask

SO - who does that leave EXPOSED?

FORWARDS EXPOSED (NHL games or notable names)

Radek Faksa
Austin Watson
Eric Robinson
William Carrier
Connor Bunnaman
Cameron Hughes
AJ Greer
Brandon Hagel
Nicholas Caamano

It will be a real loss if we lose Faksa. I should probably protect him ahead of Nichushkin but for sentimental reasons I won't. Robinson is having a breakout season, too.

DEFENSEMAN EXPOSED

David Savard
Mark Borowiecki
Ethan Bear
Jusso Riikola
Austin Strand

Some nice options there for Seattle. I could see them taking Bear (sad face) over one of the forwards.

GOALTENDERS EXPOSED

Laurent Brossoit

Not a pleasant time, and unlike in previous years, the Flames might be making some deals to protect players like Nichushkin, Bear, Faksa. We will see.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
What would you do in my position?

Probably talk to Adam, as there are guys both up front and on D that I would prefer not to lose. At the same time, however, I don’t think any of the pieces at risk are ones that would break your team, so if the price gets too high I’d just roll with it and backfill as necessary.

I do wonder who would be harder to replace between Faksa and Nicrussian. I think there will be plenty of quality D available to Seattle, so I only see him taking Bear if he thinks he’s far and away more valuable than a guy like Faksa. (Adam’s a known Oil-head, however, so that might need to be factored in as well.)

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad