Flames eliminated from playoff contention

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

1681182043800.jpeg

Changes needed. Goaltending has sank this team far too many times. Fire SOMEONE tomorrow.

Last edited:

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Why tf is Sutter not fired yet???????

I was going to list reasons but I don't even have to. F that guy so hard and f management for not making it happen sooner.

Reactions: redfire11

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Sad times. Just a year after last year when we thought Johnny and Tkachuk would be here and we'd make some tweaks to get us to the next level.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The Flames went from the best in the West last season to missing the playoffs this season. Matthew Tkachuk was traded to the Panthers who was the best in the entire league to fighting tooth and nail with the Penguins and the Islanders for the second wild card.

The Flames went from the best in the West last season to missing the playoffs this season. Matthew Tkachuk was traded to the Panthers who were the best in the entire league to fighting tooth and nail with the Penguins and the Islanders for the second wild card.

Reactions: Janks

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Hmm now we get to see the Flames will give the 5th line a try and sit the unholy trinity of Lucic, Lewis and Ritchie.

It would be really good if they could also call up Wolff, Zary l, Poirier and Phillips and play them as well

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
30 one goal losses.

Even though 17 of those were extra time, if these bums found or prevented 10 goals, would be a much different feeling right now.

Doesn’t change my mind about firing the entire coaching staff. Should have been done in December but I’ll settle for later this week.
Quite incredible actually, 21% of Flames games were losses from gimmick hockey, either pond hockey scrimmage type keep away 3on3, or coin toss shootouts… if I’m the GM I’d be looking for tenders that are strictly unbeatable in shootouts, or if I’m the coach I’d spend entire practices practicing that gimmick hockey, if you can even call it that.

That’s where he GM failed, by not sourcing that type player who is unstoppable in 3v3, or that goalie who is unbeatable in SOs… way a the road in the NHL

Last edited:

redfire11

Jun 22, 2016
Fire the whole coaching staff, put conditions on TreLiving to fix his excessive spending spree ( get rid of Kadri, Hubb, and do not bring back Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie.)

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Hopefully Coronato gets a shot this next game
I want to see every single player that has a shot at the NHL next year get the next game. Start Wolf. Play Pelletier/Ruzicka/Coronato. Call up Phillips for a last hurrah in his hometown before he walks. Give all of the kids a day in the sun.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I think it's sad af that I'm not even 100% sure the young guys get in next game. They should, but with this guy coaching idk. Also can we fire siglet already? How many bad goalies has gotten consistently worse with him at the helm

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I want to see every single player that has a shot at the NHL next year get the next game. Start Wolf. Play Pelletier/Ruzicka/Coronato. Call up Phillips for a last hurrah in his hometown before he walks. Give all of the kids a day in the sun.
Pelletier would lose his ability to compete for Calder next season if he plays next game - so I would understand if they don't want that and have discussed with him.

Agree on Ruzy and Coronato

Wolf and Phillips should stay down with the Wranglers for their playoff run

Reactions: Roadrage

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Quite incredible actually, 21% of Flames games were losses from gimmick hockey, either pond hockey scrimmage type keep away 3on3, or coin toss shootouts… if I’m the GM I’d be looking for tenders that are strictly unbeatable in shootouts, or if I’m the coach I’d spend entire practices practicing that gimmick hockey, if you can even call it that.

That’s where he GM failed, by not sourcing that type player who is unstoppable in 3v3, or that goalie who is unbeatable in SOs… way a the road in the NHL
Alternatively just by giving more time to our forwards who can score can help close out games in regulation faster.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Pelletier would lose his ability to compete for Calder next season if he plays next game - so I would understand if they don't want that and have discussed with him.

Agree on Ruzy and Coronato

Wolf and Phillips should stay down with the Wranglers for their playoff run
if that was the case he should have been sent down to play in the AHL but its not, because Pelletier just isn't that high end. However, Sutter should be fired JUST for making him sit in the pressbox for that many games in a row and Treliving should ride into the sunset for not understanding that Sutter will never play a small player when there is a large vet around UNLESS Sutter think he is better than everyone on the team.

the only Flames prospect that has a chance at the Calder is Coronato and that would require him playing RW with Lindholm and Huberdeau.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I will say Pelletier had his moments but he just wasn't producing enough, I can't fault them for sitting him too much. Though he probably should have been sent back to the Wranglers rather than sit. But I'm glad he got an extended time on the main roster, that NHL paycheques must be nice for him, he's gonna have a nice summer with that money

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
if that was the case he should have been sent down to play in the AHL but its not, because Pelletier just isn't that high end. However, Sutter should be fired JUST for making him sit in the pressbox for that many games in a row and Treliving should ride into the sunset for not understanding that Sutter will never play a small player when there is a large vet around UNLESS Sutter think he is better than everyone on the team.

the only Flames prospect that has a chance at the Calder is Coronato and that would require him playing RW with Lindholm and Huberdeau.
While I don't disagree Pelts should have been sent down - he might have say on it if Tre talked to him and maybe he prefers the NHL pay? 80k/yr vs 800k/yr can persuade people. I'm no NHL athlete here, but if my employer said "Hey - you can do your regular work and prove nothing to us for 80k per year (since he already showed tons at the AHL level and impressed everyone), or you can munch some popcorn for 800k/year"... I know what I'd pick :popcorn:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
While I don't disagree Pelts should have been sent down - he might have say on it if Tre talked to him and maybe he prefers the NHL pay? 80k/yr vs 800k/yr can persuade people. I'm no NHL athlete here, but if my employer said "Hey - you can do your regular work and prove nothing to us for 80k per year (since he already showed tons at the AHL level and impressed everyone), or you can munch some popcorn for 800k/year"... I know what I'd pick :popcorn:
If Sutter refused to play him and Treliving refused to demote him then they both should again be shown the door because prospects are the number 1 assets of a team and they need to be developed and handled correctly and a 21YO waiver exempt player needs to play (NhL or AHL) not sit in the pressbox

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
If Sutter refused to play him and Treliving refused to demote him then they both should again be shown the door because prospects are the number 1 assets of a team and they need to be developed and handled correctly and a 21YO waiver exempt player needs to play (NhL or AHL) not sit in the pressbox
Again, I don’t disagree. Mismanagement is rife within the org. I’d rather Pelts play and get experience with the big club since he’s shown the ability to, but if that’s not going to happen he needs minutes somewhere.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Heading into last season, the last year of Johnny and Chucky as Flames, I felt there were a lot of questions and really did not see the turnaround coming, that ultimately had us winning our division. After this season, you have a lot of questions / concerns and yet there certainly is the temptation to run this back as to challenge the gods, in saying there is no possible way this exact goaltending duo can be this bad again? Which alone would/should be enough to get them into the post-season next year.

I don't see this team, as is, going into any rebuild soon, so this is the perfect time to address a few elephants that occupy the dressing room:

1) I love Tre, I love Sutter, they've had 2+ years of working together, but this is where we have to pick one of them moving forward.
2) Whomever is chosen, or perhaps "stays on", has to firstly address team synergy, chemistry. This is far beyond who likes and doesn't like who in the dressing room, but more of who compliments who and plays a role in the brand of hockey we want to play. (I love the elite passing of Huberdeau, but he doesn't do much else, and if you are paying him to pass to Backlund and Coleman - nothing will ever improve / change. I love Weegar, but if he's not going to be given a chance on the powerplay, when its certainly a team weakness, then you are under utilizing his offensive skill set.
3) This team broke training camp, and the GM was first to acknowledge we needed another "scorer". Given the unbelievable number of 1 goal game losses - why wasn't this addressed, and if we "still" know it, will we finally address it? This reeks of the Penguins signing everyone back and doing virtually nothing at the deadline. If you tied your horse to Kadri+Huberdeau+Weegar that doesn't really leave a window partially cracked towards a rebuild - if its 1 bloody piece missing, then go get it!!
4) If those were Tre rants above, then this is Sutters...In his past life as Flames coach, he always talked about the backup goalie having one job = win. Vladar, while his stats certainly dove, did that for an extended period of time. More importantly, most of the goals allowed were not to put his team in a 1-2 goal deficit (killing team momentum). It is ok to at one end to acknowledge that Markstrom is the better goaltender - I agree, but to also measure your team and say that the other guy gives us a better chance to win, on some nights at least, and play him too. I hope they both bounce back next season, but if Markstrom isn't playing up to second team all-star levels, don't rely so heavily, nor expect him to suddenly bounce back during the season.
5) I hate OT, I hate the shootout and I hate the 3rd point. Like Sutter, I hate to play these skill comp / All-star weekend abominations...but, whichever way we go next season, we can't win 5 and lose 13...if the inverse occurred, we are heading to the post season. This again comes back to synergy, roster construction etc.

/rant, looking forward to an interesting off-season and more Flames hockey next year!

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Now we are out I would like to see Calgary lose 2-1 tonight with Wolff making 48saves, and Coronato scoring his 1st

Then have Nashville, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and the islanders all win the rest of their games to get the lowest pick possible

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Now we are out I would like to see Calgary lose 2-1 tonight with Wolff making 48saves, and Coronato scoring his 1st

Then have Nashville, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and the islanders all win the rest of their games to get the lowest pick possible

We're playing San Jose, there's way they're getting 49 shots even if they tried.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder how many leading questions Valji will ask to get a player to diss Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00