Rumor: Flames did not qualify Mark Jankowski

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Always felt bad that Feaster put an anchor on his back, hopefully he pans out somewhere else. I think he can contribute to any team.

Reactions: Fig

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
imagine the lemmings calling for Dubas to be fired if they ended up with Brodie leaving in UFA and Jankowski not qualified for Naz.

The avs deal didnt pan out but at least they still have Kerfoot at 3C

I wonder what they will say if Jankowski and Brodie both end up on the Leafs next year? It is quite possible

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
People talking about how he is a good PK'er when he got passed on our PK by guys like Tobias Rieder. I'll take Rieder any day over Janko.

He might get a PTO from some desperate team next year, but by 2021 he'll be in Europe.

I don't understand what happened, he could produce offence in College and the AHL, but in the NHL he is a complete black hole.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Wouldn’t be surprised at all If Holland picked up Janko for like 800k to be the guy that Tippett throws heavy defensive usage/pk time too. The Riley Sheahan replacement basically.

Ledge And Dairy

imagine the lemmings calling for Dubas to be fired if they ended up with Brodie leaving in UFA and Jankowski not qualified for Naz.

The avs deal didnt pan out but at least they still have Kerfoot at 3C
Brodie would have been a far better fit for Rielly and they would probably resign him. Jankowski may not be qualified but i could see him still staying in hus hometown to tske a deal

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Brodie would have been a far better fit for Rielly and they would probably resign him. Jankowski may not be qualified but i could see him still staying in hus hometown to tske a deal

Guys like Jankowski can't really afford to 'take a discount' to play for their hometown team.... they just don't have the career earnings to do so.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Never said anything about a discount, just that he stays in his hometown

Apologies if I misquoted you.

Ultimately, Jank will be a really interesting signing.

Traditional wisdom would suggest you go and sign a 1 year deal for whatever you can get, rebuild your value, and try to strike it big again next year.

Personally, I believe it may make more sense for him to do a multi-year deal.... Try to get a team to pay for potential a little bit, but also be invested in getting value out of him because there is multi-year upside.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Jankowski is interesting to me. People saying he can't skate are dead wrong. He finished 5th in skating at the Flames super skills so he's well above average. He's got size, he can shoot it. But he lacks intensity big time. He always leaves me wanting more. He's good positionally, but never drives the net like you'd expect a 6'4" center to do. He always seems like he's over emphasizing defensive play and exits the offensive zone early.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I think he is a guy who had far too many expectations put on him after Feester's comments at the draft. When he was a draft he was a very raw talent that was going to need a slow development path. Getting out of Calgary onto a team that can afford to put him with some wingers that can drive the play a bit would get a very good 4th line with him centering it.

Reactions: Fig

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He would be a good pickup as a 4th line center at a reasonable salary. The Oilers need bottom 6 centers, he would be a reasonable option if you can get him at a cheap salary.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Constantly getting dumped on by Calgary sports talk before attention finally shifted to the bigger names on the team. Maybe getting away from Cgy can help his confidence.

Reactions: KapG

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Constantly getting dumped on by Calgary sports talk before attention finally shifted to the bigger names on the team. Maybe getting away from Cgy can help his confidence.
He got dumped on for a reason. His intensity is very questionable. He makes Monahan look like Brad Marchand.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No, no, no.

The guy who Feaster was repeating in saying he was likely the best player in that draft (John Weisbrod), said he's Joe Nieuwendyk.

I remember that. They were both tall and thin...

kevrondl

Dec 29, 2008
Oshawa, ON
Jankowski is interesting to me. People saying he can't skate are dead wrong. He finished 5th in skating at the Flames super skills so he's well above average. He's got size, he can shoot it. But he lacks intensity big time. He always leaves me wanting more. He's good positionally, but never drives the net like you'd expect a 6'4" center to do. He always seems like he's over emphasizing defensive play and exits the offensive zone early.
He has one gear and it's "meh." He's like a really bad Sean Monahan.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
In 10 years, Feaster predicted, "Jankowski will be viewed as the best player in the 2012 draft," adding "We felt we could take the gamble."

So uh...yeah.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In 10 years, Feaster predicted, "Jankowski will be viewed as the best player in the 2012 draft," adding "We felt we could take the gamble."

So uh...yeah.

NHL draft 2012: Calgary Flames believe Mark Jankowski is steal of first round | National Post

Actually, Weisbrod predicted it. Feaster just repeated it.

Particularly John Weisbrod, the assistant general manager.
“Weis thinks this guy, if he’s not the most talented guy coming out of this draft, he’s going to be one of them,” said Feaster. “High expectations. This is a player that we had targeted.”
Added Jankowski: “I really want to prove them right. That’s what I’m here to do. I think in 10 years I can be the best player in this draft.”

And here's the Joe Nieuwendyk comparison.

“He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”

I agree with other Flames fans he was given some heavy expectation anchors when he showed up which hurt his game. He was progressing relatively steadily until Peters got a hold of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad