GDT: Flames @ Canes 11/10 7PM: #FreeZachBoychuk Edition

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Although I will say that it seems like trying to get a handle on lines is pointless, so far it looks like everyone will have played with everyone by the time the year's done...

bluedevil58*

Here is to watching Malone on the 1st line with Staal and Semin.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
2012-14 (~580 ES minutes)

Skinner with Jordan: 53.9 CF%
Just Skinner: 50.3 CF%
Just Jordan: 54.0 CF%

Attempts against/20 have been very low while together, though they've still been scored on quite a bit. But Skinner "with" Khudobin has actually been pretty good -- 55.0 GF% compared to under 45 GF% with Ward and Peters, so I'm wondering if poor goaltender play has had something to do with it. It's worth trying again at some point.

Skinner's defensive mistakes lead to high quality chances. The problem with Jeff/Jordan was never in the offensive zone. It's that Jeff misses assignments, turns the puck over, and gets beat on the boards cleanly. When he's doing that against other teams top lines, that GF% will go down in a hurry regardless of Corsi.

Historically, Jeff has always had one of the lower On ice Save%'s on the team. That matches what I see with my eyeballs.

Last edited:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Skinner's defensive mistakes lead to high quality chances. The problem with Jeff/Jordan was never in the offensive zone. It's that Jeff misses assignments, turns the puck over, and gets beat on the boards cleanly. When he's doing that against other teams top lines, that GF% will go down in a hurry regardless of Corsi.

Historically, Jeff has always had one of the lower On ice Save%'s on the team. That matches what I see with my eyeballs.

Explain why his corsi lines up with his GF% with above average Khudobin in net and not ****** Ward and ****** Peters.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well, he isn't, but I think it's more along the lines of his lapses lead to high quality chances rather than that he's just consistently bad at covering his guy. In other words, he and Jordan both screw up 1 out of every 20, but Skinner's mistakes are worse than Jordan's.

In any case, I don't think it's a big deal to see what they look like together again.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Jeff Skinner 5v5 on ice sv% .902, .890, .900, .915
Hurricanes 5v5 on ice sv% .921, .908, .918, .921

To get to PDO 100, Jeff has to have an on ice s% of 10ish. He doesn't. So to keep his CF% and GF% in line, he'd need to have a higher CF than he would if his on-ice s% = on-ice sv%.

Why it worked out with Anton:

1) Jeff was scoring more goals. His GF20 was .9 with Anton vs. .6 with Cam. This was despite having a lower CF20 with Anton in net. Unless you are blaming this on Anton's superior playmaking, it's not relevant.

2) If a Goalie has the 5th best ev sv% in the league (above average goaltending), everyone gets a bump from that.

Simpler answer: Jeff scored a lot more than normal, and Anton saved a lot more than normal. Stats get inflated.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jeff Skinner 5v5 on ice sv% .902, .890, .900, .915
Hurricanes 5v5 on ice sv% .921, .908, .918, .921

To get to PDO 100, Jeff has to have an on ice s% of 10ish. He doesn't. So to keep his CF% and GF% in line, he'd need to have a higher CF than he would if his on-ice s% = on-ice sv%.

Why it worked out with Anton:

1) Jeff was scoring more goals. His GF20 was .9 with Anton vs. .6 with Cam. This was despite having a lower CF20 with Anton in net. Unless you are blaming this on Anton's superior playmaking, it's not relevant.

2) If a Goalie has the 5th best ev sv% in the league (above average goaltending), everyone gets a bump from that.

Simpler answer: Jeff scored a lot more than normal, and Anton saved a lot more than normal. Stats get inflated.

I prefer the non advanced stats Wally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad