Flames Begin Negotiations on Kris Russell Extension

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Having Russell as your #4D means you have an excellent blueline. But you shouldn't pay 5M+ for your #4D.

Even if Wideman, Smid and Jones are to be gone in the near future, I don't think there is enough flexibility to sign Russell for that money when it's quickly going to be (and should be) spent on the forward positions.

Ideally, it's 3.5 - 4M AAV but he can definitely earn more elsewhere.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He really shouldn't get more than 3.5. Giving guys whose primary attribute is heart a crapton of money is the first step to destroying a competitive team.

I like Russell a lot, but he's not great in the defensive zone aside from shot blocking, he's pretty average in transition, and his career high is 30 points (which is good, but not top end). He shouldn't be more than the 4th dman on any team, and anyone who pays him more than 4th dman money will regret it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Would love 3.5, anything between 3.5-4 is pushing it and anything over 4 will be a mistake.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can see him signing 4 years/14 million. He's never had stability before in his career and I think that will be a priority for him.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I can see him signing 4 years/14 million. He's never had stability before in his career and I think that will be a priority for him.

I agree. Also he hasn't proven enough for long enough for the huge deal. If he got a 5 type AAV it would be no more than a 2 year deal to make sure he's worth it for another team. The cap is uncertain, not many teams would throw term at him, we saw it with Franson this year.

I could see him going for 3.5 for 5 years. That would be good for him. Stability, good money, a place near home where he fits and has a leadership role.

As much as Glencross laments the hometown discount, Its hard to picture Russell finding a better fit than here

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I agree. Also he hasn't proven enough for long enough for the huge deal. If he got a 5 type AAV it would be no more than a 2 year deal to make sure he's worth it for another team. The cap is uncertain, not many teams would throw term at him, we saw it with Franson this year.

I could see him going for 3.5 for 5 years. That would be good for him. Stability, good money, a place near home where he fits and has a leadership role.

As much as Glencross laments the hometown discount, Its hard to picture Russell finding a better fit than here

Term might be a pretty major factor. With the volume of shots that Russell blocks he's not exactly playing a low impact game. It'd make sense to shoot for 5-6 years, even if it means he drops his AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad