Flames Begin Negotiations on Kris Russell Extension

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Calgary Flames begin negotiations with defenceman Kris Russell
Well, that’s exactly what Flames GM Brad Treliving and Russell’s agent, Al Roy, started trying to figure out earlier this week when the Sun has learned they sat down to start discussing a contract extension for the 28-year-old.

“I had very preliminary talks with Brad and obviously they’re big fans of Kris and it’s home for him so he’d like to stay,†said Roy following his visit to Calgary.

“Are we going to get something done? We are hoping. We are just beginning talks.â€
Russell is obviously in line for a major raise from the US$2.6 million he’ll make this year — the final year of his deal before he can test unrestricted free agency. But given the financial commitments made to Giordano, Dougie Hamilton, Dennis Wideman, TJ Brodie (all over $4.6 million annually) and the pending deals needed to keep Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan and eventually Sam Bennett in town, can the Flames afford to pay Russell anywhere near the market value his play would demand?

Similarly-aged unrestricted free-agent defencemen Andrej Sekera and Jeff Petry inked six-year deals worth $5.5 million annually this summer and neither comes even remotely close to boasting the stats Russell just put up.
“I love playing here,†said Russell, who was born and raised in nearby Caroline.

“From the owners on down, it’s an incredible place to play and a real family. I think I found a place where I impact the team on a nightly basis, and, as a player, you want that. I was given every opportunity in my previous two places but my game was still growing and evolving.â€
“Obviously, you want to be signed before free agency. It’s something that would be great to be done, but, at the same time, I have to take care of my end and do my job. I feel like they want me and I’m a part of this team.â€

Treliving confirmed his desire to keep Russell in town, saying, “he embodie everything we are all about in Calgary.â€

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Russell is coming back at over 3.5 (very likely if he's extended) then Hudler is gone. That also likely means Wideman is still getting moved.

I would guess Hudler would get extended and Kris would be let go due to the depth we have on D, but that may not be the case.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If Russell is coming back at over 3.5 (very likely if he's extended) then Hudler is gone. That also likely means Wideman is still getting moved.

I would guess Hudler would get extended and Kris would be let go due to the depth we have on D, but that may not be the case.

We can trade Wideman then we could sign Russell for 3.5 and Hudler for around 6.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Russell's cap hit has to reflect that he'd never be higher than the 4th defensemen on the team. In addition, right now the Flames have 28.8M committed through 2016-2017 to six defensemen in Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Wideman, Smid & Engelland. In other words, Wideman and Smid have to be moved in order for a hypothetical Russell signing to make sense.

I'd prefer retaining Russell and letting Wideman go, but at the same time, with Andersson, Kulak, Culkin, Kylington, Hickey, Morrison and Nakladal in the system, I'm not opposed to letting all of Smid, Wideman and Russell go.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary Flames begin negotiations with defenceman Kris Russell

How do you determine the worth of a player who was a central figure in filling the void left when captain Mark Giordano went down last year and may very well have been the Flames best player in the first round of the playoffs?

Well, that’s exactly what Flames GM Brad Treliving and Russell’s agent, Al Roy, started trying to figure out earlier this week when the Sun has learned they sat down to start discussing a contract extension for the 28-year-old.

“I had very preliminary talks with Brad and obviously they’re big fans of Kris and it’s home for him so he’d like to stay,†said Roy following his visit to Calgary.

“Are we going to get something done? We are hoping. We are just beginning talks.â€

Glad to hear.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We can trade Wideman then we could sign Russell for 3.5 and Hudler for around 6.

I think you can try and get Russell at around 4.2, then Huds at 5.0. Money and Johnny are probably getting 6 x 6, then Bennett the year after. If Huds wants 6, I'd move him or let him walk. He's a great player, but I'm not sure I'd want him long term north of 5.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'll put this in the "agent pleasantries" folder. If Russell has another good season he could cash in big time in free agency. You just look at what similar guys like Niskanen, Sekera, Petry got paid and I think the Flames are out of the race.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Flames have an internal cap. He won't get paid more then Brodie. I would say at most he gets 4.5/ year.

I love Russell, but I hope we get 23 and 13 under contract before we sign Russell.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Russell's cap hit has to reflect that he'd never be higher than the 4th defensemen on the team. In addition, right now the Flames have 28.8M committed through 2016-2017 to six defensemen in Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Wideman, Smid & Engelland. In other words, Wideman and Smid have to be moved in order for a hypothetical Russell signing to make sense.

I'd prefer retaining Russell and letting Wideman go, but at the same time, with Andersson, Kulak, Culkin, Kylington, Hickey, Morrison and Nakladal in the system, I'm not opposed to letting all of Smid, Wideman and Russell go.
It is good for us if his cap hit reflects that, but if he plays like a #2/3 he will earn #2/3 money somewhere.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I dont know if I'd want to sign Russell long term, but if we can move Wideman in the summer and resign Russell instead things could work, and I'd prefer that since Russell is a bit younger

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I don't think Russell fits in the team's plan longterm, even if they didn't have contracts like raymond, engelleland, smid and such. He's going to want nearly 5 mil, and Flames already have a lot in 3 dman. Russell isn't very good analytics wise either.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
I don't think Russell fits in the team's plan longterm, even if they didn't have contracts like raymond, engelleland, smid and such. He's going to want nearly 5 mil, and Flames already have a lot in 3 dman. Russell isn't very good analytics wise either.

Don't talk about analytics to us!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Attention! Residents of Calgary: Free beer and coffee for Russell and Hudler all season.

See if we can get a hometown discount ;) :sarcasm:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I'm probably one of the biggest Russell fans on here... but I take Huds over him at the same price... Let's assume they both ask for 5.0-5.5mil per.

Keep Huds and let Russell walk. Kulak can slowly replace him. I was at the game last night vs Jets and he really impressed me.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Russell for an AAV of 3 million, plus free yearly entry into the Calgary Stampede, a one year Car2Go membership and a lifetime supply of Taber Corn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad