Flames At The All-Star Game

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Giordano will get in for sure.

Brodie deserves to go for sure.

I doubt anyone else makes it.

Hudler is on pace for about 65 points, and with so many teams who need to qualify guys, there are simply batter choices.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Gio will go just because the Flames have to have one. Brodie’ll go too, all the experts are projecting it too. Seen Hiller on a list or two. Johnny might go in as a rookie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gio will go just because the Flames have to have one. Brodie’ll go too, all the experts are projecting it too. Seen Hiller on a list or two. Johnny might go in as a rookie.
They removed the every team must have a representative requirement several years ago. We've just always had Iggy so we never had to worry.

Do they still have the rookie game? I have to admit I have not watched an all-star game with any interest in many years

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They removed the every team must have a representative requirement several years ago. We've just always had Iggy so we never had to worry.

Do they still have the rookie game? I have to admit I have not watched an all-star game with any interest in many years

No rookie game. They have a bunch of rookies participate in the skills competition though, but they don't see the game unless they're voted in (Jeff Skinner).

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Gio and Brodie go together. I can't believe Hiller even in the conversation here. He had a couple good games to start but to be honest, I think he has sucked lately.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

Uh, they never removed the one-per-team thing. That was always in place to prevent teams like Detroit or the Rangers or (now) the Kings from taking up an entire conference team. Look back in recent years. Has there ever been a year where there wasn’t one guy per team? No.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Uh, they never removed the one-per-team thing. That was always in place to prevent teams like Detroit or the Rangers or (now) the Kings from taking up an entire conference team. Look back in recent years. Has there ever been a year where there wasn’t one guy per team? No.

I don't think there were any Winnipeg Jets players for the 2009 All-star Game, were there?

:sarcasm:

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
There was not a player from the Jets or Wild at the last All-Star game.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I thought the NHL was going to re-brand the All Star game as the "Johnny Hockey Show".

Nobody else is featured, just Gaudreau demonstrating proficiency in dekes, outclassing larger opponents, the art of the takeaway, and the wrap-around.

Then there will be a Q&A followed by an autograph session for all of the other participants in the clinic, as voted in by the fans.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes they did, a few years ago at least. They still try and do it, but it is no longer a rule.

Since no one gives a crap about all-star games I'm not having any luck finding a link. But I assure you that it was changed, I would even call it the Robert Svehla rule.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gio. That's about it.

Brodie should go, but they won't. Calgary could be the best team in the league and we'd probably only get one representative.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes they did, a few years ago at least. They still try and do it, but it is no longer a rule.

Since no one gives a crap about all-star games I'm not having any luck finding a link. But I assure you that it was changed, I would even call it the Robert Svehla rule.

From a random Bleacher Report article:

"In the MLB, each team must have one representative in the All-Star game. However, the NHL has found a way around that by including rookies in the skills challenge and counting those players as representatives for their teams."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad