Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Kris Russel for 5th round pick

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You've forgotten Shane O'Brien. Not surprisingly, given he's new. If I'm writing the D depth chart:

-Gio
-Wideman
-Brodie
-Russell
-SOB
-Butler
-Cundari
-Breen

I consider SOB a 6/7, id rank them like this:

-Gio
-Wideman
-Brodie
-Butler
-Russell
-Cundari
-SOB
-Breen

Butler is a very good #5 in my opinion.

Gio - Brodie
Wideman - Butler
Russell - Cundari

Would be my 6 but I don't trust Butler to cover for Wideman...which is why we need one more top 4 guy.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I hope Edmonton picks him up, just so that they can have half of their top 6 defencemen named Schultz.

The Flames could sign Schultz and trade him to the Oilers for Ryan Jones, leaving the Flames with a third line of

Jones................Jones..................Jones

Ala, the Jonestownpunch line.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Too late to buy out Butler? :F.. I'm not looking forward to seeing Butler play a full season without JayBo supporting him. Anyone know if Breen will needs waivers (to be demoted) by next year? A lot of bodies there and too many question marks.

Also, I'm not really sure if anyone is correct about the 'waiver priority' thing. I remember this being brought up at the start of the regular season when the Isles claimed several players and that each claim did -not- affect their waiver priority for subsequent claims.

I think the 'waiver priority' might be more of a fantasy league thing, and not a CBA/NHL thing.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
Can anyone point out somethign that indicates that putting in a claim changes waiver priority? This wasn't the case previously (possbily under the old CBA), has somethign changed recently?

The reason that we traded Karlsson after waiving him was, at least from my understanding, having cleared waivers within the past 45 day (or whatever the period is), the Blackhawks were able to assign him directly to Rockford, whereas if they claimed him initially the Flames could have 're-claimed' him again.

The only reason I can see for trading for him rather than picking him up is to save the fees associated with a waiver claim as he'd need to be waived again if we want to assign him to Abbotsford (at least from my understanding).

Pretty sure that it was just the case that Feaster was going to pursue someone else (Ference?) and Russell is the contingency plan.

Either way, if anyone has evidence as to how waivers work, formally or informally, it would be greatly appreciated. My quick search didn't turn upanythign supporting this.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
After scanning the CBA (13.19) it appears waiver priority doesn't change after a claim is made; however the other reasons presented may be viable.

Someone should just send an email to Ken King or Jay Feaster to ask them.

To: Ken King
Subject: Trading a 5th for Kris Russel - What the Hell Dude?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
After scanning the CBA (13.19) it appears waiver priority doesn't change after a claim is made; however the other reasons presented may be viable.

Someone should just send an email to Ken King or Jay Feaster to ask them.

I think there was a member of the media who said that he intended to ask the question at first chance.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
What are we at with contracts, including our qualifying offers (assuming they sign)??

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At one point of time, people thought Russell was going to be a higher end d-man in the NHL.

He's still got plenty of years left in him; and maybe he can realign into that potential he once had.
Still a little guy, but definitely adds more depth into our backend.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Feaster just explained why they used the pick, essentially to avoid arbitration.

Ya, I heard that too. But can't you sign a player before arbitration? It's like with waiver and arbitration they went out of their way to make the process as confusing as hell. Anyone old enough to remember the waiver draft? At least it was something the average fan could understand.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ya, I heard that too. But can't you sign a player before arbitration? It's like with waiver and arbitration they went out of their way to make the process as confusing as hell. Anyone old enough to remember the waiver draft? At least it was something the average fan could understand.

He could i believe, but Russel could have elected for arbitration, I think? It ended up being a sign and trade by the Blues, I don't really mind it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like this signing (the guy was a beast in the WHL) and is a perfect bottom pairing offensive defenseman.

Brodie - Gio
Wideman - Butler
Cundari - SOB
Russel/Breen

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
I know that we're a rebuilding team, and we're not exactly ''trying to win it all", but i think Jay needs to give his head a shake taking all these smurfs on to play on D. SOB is the only guy who is above average size on our back end, and i don't care how many times we hear the phrase "plays bigger than his size", our goalies are in trouble this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was surprised just how much he played with St. Louis. I didn't realize he was an everyday player until the deadline when the Blues picked up Leopold and Bouwmeester. He looks like he played a regular shift on the 3rd pairing with the off PP or PK shift.

I think with some PP time he can produce the 20-25 points he would get in Columbus. He appears to block a decent number of shots and I was also surprised at how low his giveaway totals are.

Oswalt1026

Dec 17, 2012
With these expectations I think our D may surprise a lot of people in a positive way.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
I am stoked up about this addition. He played in St. Louis top four. I am guessing he is an upgrade on Cundari (even though I like Cundari very much).

This guy has been very highly touted in the past. It is a one year deal so he will likely be quite motivated to prove himself.

I think he fits quite well on a team that is fast, mean and hungry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad