GDT: FLAMES (34-14-7) vs. CAPITALS (30-18-9) 7:00 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Vegas lost so no big loss really….

can’t win them all

Monahan and Lucic needs to be split up, benched , traded … whatever

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Ugh, saw this loss coming. Couldn't watch the game but had the feeling it would be hard to win em all.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not bad result for a b2b against a contender type team. It was reasonably close, but also a really messy game. Score doesn't reflect it, but both goalies were really good tonight IMO.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Gadreau OK?

giphy.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ah, I'm not salty about this loss. We've been running on fumes and we were in it the whole game.

I wasn't until Wilson kneed our star player. Complete trash.

Any word on Gaudreau?

Good grief that looked dirty

Not sure if no news is good or bad but Darryl and 960 haven't mentioned it.

Flames played OK offensively. Defensively a messy night by just about everybody. Hate blowing leads but the Caps are a vet lineup with a lot of talent.

Good : Gaudreau was pretty sharp, needed to see more on net. Coleman was the best on his line. Lindholm pretty standard strong game, got beat on the Dowd goal though. Likely some fatigue. Dube moving his feet and picked up a point, really needs to score a goal. Zadorov & Andersson. Mangiapane nice feed to Ruz, was all around it.

Not bad : Hanifin was alright, bit better than he has been lately. Ruzicka liked his defensive work below the goal line, used his size a lot in this one. Stupid penalty but scored a goal. Toffoli I guess. Gudbranson.

Not good : A lot of vets looking gassed here. Backs, Tanev, Lewis all a step slower than usual. Tkachuk looked off to me, usually on the money with passes but probably completed like one or two the whole game. Vladar not horrible or anything, but a little too deep on a couple of those shots. Rebound control is all over the map. Kylington -3 even though he scored. Not good enough.

Struggle street : Lucic making cute passes in his zone has got to stop. Hit people and go five hole and that's it guy. Monahan...*deep sigh* just sad to watch what was such a talented player sink to replacement level. Please scratch.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
That's a game where the top 9 are all fairly good (outside of Tkachuk, really) and even 2 d-pairs to an extent, but Kylington (despite the goal), Tanev, and that entire 4th line really sewered things. Not even in the sense that Monahan threw it away to Ovi, or that Lucic threw it away to Sheary, or... a lot of things. They just outright were the worst possible line to have out in most situations when all they needed to be was alright when the Flames had the lead. At this point the top 9 is about where I want it to be. But that 4th line desparately needs a kick in the ass. Phillips, Pelletier, even Gawdin. At this point I'd take Lewis -Richardson - Ritchie back. They just can't be trusted right now and in a 5 in 7 stretch fresh legs are invaluable.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's a game where the top 9 are all fairly good (outside of Tkachuk, really) and even 2 d-pairs to an extent, but Kylington (despite the goal), Tanev, and that entire 4th line really sewered things. Not even in the sense that Monahan threw it away to Ovi, or that Lucic threw it away to Sheary, or... a lot of things. They just outright were the worst possible line to have out in most situations when all they needed to be was alright when the Flames had the lead. At this point the top 9 is about where I want it to be. But that 4th line desparately needs a kick in the ass. Phillips, Pelletier, even Gawdin. At this point I'd take Lewis -Richardson - Ritchie back. They just can't be trusted right now and in a 5 in 7 stretch fresh legs are invaluable.
I agreed. Monahan and Lucic’s lack of fitness or dedication is a huge problem for stretch like this. It’s the sign to come for the playoffs. Sutter is smart. He should figure out what to do with them ASAP. i.e bench their ass

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Vladar is making it a lot easier for Wolf to take his job next year. Vladar's sv% has dropped to .900
Sigh... six more b2b games to go. The good news is those b2b's are against teams like Detroit, Buffalo, Arizona , Chicago, San Jose, and Edmonton.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Vladar is making it a lot easier for Wolf to take his job next year. Vladar's sv% has dropped to .900
Sigh... six more b2b games to go. The good news is those b2b's are against teams like Detroit, Buffalo, Arizona , Chicago, San Jose, and Edmonton.

A lot of this is usage, though. Far more than an indictment of Vladar. Sutter gave him a back-to-back against two of the best teams in the league, then he didn't play for a month it seemed like. He got to relieve Markstrom against the Stars and delivered the comeback win. He did get the Columbus game, but his next action was in relief against Vancouver where the Flames weren't playing defence. Then he gets Colorado, then Washington on the back end of a back-to-back.

Given the tough spots he gets put in, Vladar either has to play like a superstar Vezina candidate or else he'll probably be stuck with that ~.900 SV% all year, and there should be no expectation that he is a Vezina candidate at this point.

At the same time, there are a few concerns from the eye test with regards to losing control a few times. But it hasn't burned him so far.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Uhhh

Screenshot_20220309-083031_theScore.jpg

He skated off under his own power. Didn't look like he was limping or anything but he was clearly feeling it.

I went to this game, it was a blast. The 4th line is just the island of misfit toys. They suck so much and you don't want them playing with anyone useful.

A few thoughts

Dube: Still catching flack on calgarypuck for some strange reason. I don't know how you can want someone scratched when they weren't even one of the 3 worst performing forwards dressed. Hell, I'd argue he was closer to one of our 6 best forwards last night.

Gaudreau: Was very good as usual. Hoping he's alright.

Tkachuk: Was really bad for his standards.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad