GDT: FLAMES (32-14-7) @ AVALANCHE (40-11-4) 8 p.m. MT | TV: CBC/Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

What should the Flames focus on in this one?

• Roll four lines

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
wow-the-office.gif

Man, was that was a fun game to watch. Big W against the top team in the league.
Darth Vladar starting against such a talented offensive team and having a solid game is great to see. Made some big stops.
Good stuff.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Vlad needs more trust here, sutter is throwing him against the wolves.... Canes, tampa and now avs

I think Darryl knew exactly what he was doing starting him these games. Props to Vlad, showed up big time tonight.

That was a terrific game, very satisfied customer. One hell of a team the Avalanche have. Makar the Calgary boy is going to go down as one of the all time greats.

Great : Lindholm, also Lindholm again. Maybe even Lindholm for a third time. Tkachuk & Gaudreau as well were fantastic. Happy to see both these guys show up big in a big game. Gudbranson as well very strong, love his DZ play. Vladar took a bit to look settled but was very strong.

Good : Toffoli again very good. Lots of subtle good plays. Andersson had a lot of covering for Hanifin and did well to. Liked his PP puck movement too. Backlund nice little bounceback. Coleman is a forechecking beast. Lewis.

Not bad : A reasonably alright return for Dube. He had one backcheck that stood out. Zadorov that was a bs call on him. Fumbled a couple pucks but strong in front of the net. Mangiapane had some moments but I thought shrunk a little at the stage.

Whatever : Monahan :dunno: score a goal guy. Kylington just a little too out of control, but also made a lot of good plays. Tells me he can still get better. Ritchie.

Not good : Tanev, not his strongest game. Couple tough turnovers. Hanifin ditto, but even worse. Lucic was engaged but ineffective.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Well, they can stick with it. Most exciting hockey the Flames have played in years. Here's to hoping they can keep it up!

This is the best time of hockey that I can remember since the 88-89 season. A few glimpses of this under Hartley with Huds/Mony/Johnny but honestly this is better. By quite a bit.

We're watching the best of what we've had. And have to say, so glad Darryl is a part of this. I feel I'm witnessing an evolved version of what I hated in the late 90s through the first decade of the 2000s. We're seeing a Sutter version that allows for high octane offense and creativity.

Brings tears to my eyes.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I know most people know this but this is a perfect example of the way Sutter really spreads out the ice time.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Tofveve

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oh my. there's a museum shot with a celebrating Johnny and dejected Mack on the OT goal. :thumbu:

Reactions: Tofveve

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
What a game. I still don't understand what's going on with the bottom 6 but I can take it with a win. Hanifin/Tanev really were trying to sell in the 3rd period with the amount of blatant turnovers right to Avs on passes out of the zone that ended up staying in. Thankfully they were able to recover. I'd also say not once did I ever imagine Lindholm being so physically dominant when he's on his game. Like, I knew he had a great shot and that he could defend, but how strong he is in bodying people, tying players up, etc. it's crazy.

Once again thought--that 3rd line. Toffoli desparately needs to play with speed. His two best centres by metrics like CF% last year were Danault and Suzuki--two way distributive centres that could attack with speed, as well as some combo of Armia/Perry/Gallagher/a real assortment of guys. But with those two centres there is absolutely zero comparison to be made between Monahan and them. Toffoli also saw success playing with Kotkaniemi. So like, to me, why not have him be centred by Dube if Dube is going to be a centre in this lineup. Or if Ruzicka is in, get him with Toffoli. Just get him away from Monahan and Lucic as a duo. He can survive with one Corey Perry, not two, absolutely toasted Perry's. This is a guy that isn't going to break through defensemen and go in for a rush, or carry the play at an elite level, but what he can do is make real smart deft plays that are accentuated with strong body positioning and puck control. That is the type of guy who should 100% be with a fast, smart centre that can get in positions to support him before returning the puck to him, not whatever Monahan is right now.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Great game. Very enjoyable to watch.
I'm also enjoying the sound of crickets singing up north. Ah... so nice.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I thought the 4th line was pretty good aside from the one shift. If it was Dube-Ruzicka-Lewis it would be an amazing 4th line. Lewis in particular was pretty good that game, he's grown on me as a 12th forward. He PKs and has been getting scoring chances the last couple games.

Sadly I don't think we can afford to do that because then we would have our current 3rd line, which just doesn't work. The Flames need to try and bring in a top 9 player if they're not going to play AHLers because I'm thinking you need one of Monahan or Lucic out of the lineup most games at this point.

Another really neat thing is that Johnny is probably the best choice on the Flames to defend Makar. Makar is bigger than Gaudreau but he's still a fairly small guy, I don't think he's going to try and power his way to the net often. He relies on his elite edges to create space in the offensive zone. Thing is, Gaudreau also has elite edges. Makar tried to spin off the boards (like when he broke Dach's ankles) a few times with Johnny on him and Johnny just expertly contained him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Couldn't watch yesterday so PVRd it. Solid game that had a ton of flow to it. Very few whistles

Loose thoughts on Flames:
- Kylington does not look right out there at all. Whatever happened against Minnesota seems to have affected his balance and positional awareness.
- That 3rd Avs goal is the kind of goal that can teams and fans PTSD if it happens in the playoffs. If you don't score on your odd-man rushes, you can't open the door for the other team to counter-attack you like that. Completely took the wind out of our sails
- Re: point above, Monahan's wrists are cooked and his distrust in his hands is killing his decision making and hurting the team.
- Gudbranson had a 10/10 game. Nice goal, good defensive play and made Kadri a non-factor after he ran him through the boards in the 1st.
- Why did Sutter start Vladar? Was it to make sure he gets practice for the Caps game? Was it to motivate the team to shape up defensively given the chances he'd be a weak link tonight? Was it to throw him into the fire and use him as an excuse as to why he has to rely on Markstrom? I can't decide if this was a stupid move or not. It paid off in the end.
- That 1st Avs goal was really weak. Not really surprised it came 40 seconds in. Vladar made several good saves but looked very shakey for the entire game. He needs more games.
- Backlund is #3C calibre now. We need another middle 6 centre badly.
- Andersson did a lot of heavy lifting out there for Hanifin
- Tkachuk looked good for the 1st 10 minutes and then was terrible after that
- Mangiapane was very strong defensively
- Sutter seemed content to evenly roll out 3 lines + 3 pairings and let them figure it out. That 4th line didn't get much action but I saw a lot of Trevor Lewis.
- I don't like how we play after the opposition makes a goalie change. We make stupid shot selections that let them get settled into the game.

On the Avs:
- I won't be surprised if the Avs get bounced in the 1st round. Their depth is rancid. Did MacKinnon's line + Toews/Makar leave the ice in the 3rd period? Those other guys were no more than warm bodies out there, they were absolutely terrible. That will not fly in the playoffs, especially against a team like Dallas.
- Landeskog vs Tkachuk was hyped up but they were quiet passengers on their lines for most of the night
- Makar is supremely skilled but very frail. He'll need to sort that out before he signs in Calgary
- Goaltending is a major weakness for Colorado
- Why did the Isles decide Toews was going to be a cap casualty? He was the best player from both teams tonight by a long shot.

Very entertaining game but we should have put them away in the 2nd on that one play. I don't think we were at our best but we did enough to win.

We know Bednar will respond because he adjusted well to Bill Peters after game 1. Excited to see how Sutter approaches that game this week. The BoA is kinda meh on my radar but it would also be cool to end the Oilers season for good

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Really don’t want to see MacKinnon out against Monahan, that’s asking for trouble.
Play of the game: MacK carrying the puck in the neutral zone in the 3rd period. Monahan's at the blueline with his back turned to MacK and gliding backwards but sees him coming.

MacKinnon crosses the blueline and sidesteps Monahan in a fraction of a fraction of a second and rips a shot off before Monahan can even turn to face him

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Couldn't watch yesterday so PVRd it. Solid game that had a ton of flow to it. Very few whistles

Loose thoughts on Flames:
- Kylington does not look right out there at all. Whatever happened against Minnesota seems to have affected his balance and positional awareness.
- That 3rd Avs goal is the kind of goal that can teams and fans PTSD if it happens in the playoffs. If you don't score on your odd-man rushes, you can't open the door for the other team to counter-attack you like that. Completely took the wind out of our sails
- Re: point above, Monahan's wrists are cooked and his distrust in his hands is killing his decision making and hurting the team.
- Gudbranson had a 10/10 game. Nice goal, good defensive play and made Kadri a non-factor after he ran him through the boards in the 1st.
- Why did Sutter start Vladar? Was it to make sure he gets practice for the Caps game? Was it to motivate the team to shape up defensively given the chances he'd be a weak link tonight? Was it to throw him into the fire and use him as an excuse as to why he has to rely on Markstrom? I can't decide if this was a stupid move or not. It paid off in the end.
- That 1st Avs goal was really weak. Not really surprised it came 40 seconds in. Vladar made several good saves but looked very shakey for the entire game. He needs more games.
- Backlund is #3C calibre now. We need another middle 6 centre badly.
- Andersson did a lot of heavy lifting out there for Hanifin
- Tkachuk looked good for the 1st 10 minutes and then was terrible after that
- Mangiapane was very strong defensively
- Sutter seemed content to evenly roll out 3 lines + 3 pairings and let them figure it out. That 4th line didn't get much action but I saw a lot of Trevor Lewis.
- I don't like how we play after the opposition makes a goalie change. We make stupid shot selections that let them get settled into the game.

On the Avs:
- I won't be surprised if the Avs get bounced in the 1st round. Their depth is rancid. Did MacKinnon's line + Toews/Makar leave the ice in the 3rd period? Those other guys were no more than warm bodies out there, they were absolutely terrible. That will not fly in the playoffs, especially against a team like Dallas.
- Landeskog vs Tkachuk was hyped up but they were quiet passengers on their lines for most of the night
- Makar is supremely skilled but very frail. He'll need to sort that out before he signs in Calgary
- Goaltending is a major weakness for Colorado
- Why did the Isles decide Toews was going to be a cap casualty? He was the best player from both teams tonight by a long shot.

Very entertaining game but we should have put them away in the 2nd on that one play. I don't think we were at our best but we did enough to win.

We know Bednar will respond because he adjusted well to Bill Peters after game 1. Excited to see how Sutter approaches that game this week. The BoA is kinda meh on my radar but it would also be cool to end the Oilers season for good

I agree with pretty much all of this.
There’s a major hole down the middle in Calgary, it sucks that they burnt all kinds of assets already.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Play of the game: MacK carrying the puck in the neutral zone in the 3rd period. Monahan's at the blueline with his back turned to MacK and gliding backwards but sees him coming.

MacKinnon crosses the blueline and sidesteps Monahan in a fraction of a fraction of a second and rips a shot off before Monahan can even turn to face him

Elite defensive awareness.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad