GDT: FLAMES (21-14-9) @ PREDATORS (19-17-6) | 6 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet One | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Pretty good : Lindholm's line were all decent. Had some good chances. Markstrom was fine, but not sure why he got so far off his post on the 2nd GA.
Maybe he thought the guy was going to take the puck behind the net to the other side? But the player passed it in front for a chance. No dmen there at all for that one.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sutter basically threw the game and gave a big f*** you to Huberdeau and companies at the end there

Reactions: Tofveve

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Stone and Zadorov out there????? Wtf Sutter; they were handling it like a hot potato. This team is going to quit on him soon.
Lol @ stone and zadorov ad our offensive d pair in the last minute

Would Hanifin or Andersson done much better? Maybe Weegar does better than Stone but it's overall a wash, Stone has a pretty deadly shot. I'd take Zadorov over Hanifin or Tanev offensively. And Andersson took the dumbest penalty on the PP, he deserved to sit for it

Calgary has only 4 regulation losses in our last 21 games, we are a top 10 offense and defense in that stretch, and pacing for 109 points over that span. If we play exactly how we are right now for the rest of the season we finish with 102 points.

You look even shorter and just go last month, we are 8-2-3, scoring 3.62 goals per game which would be top 5 in the NHL, allowing 2.69 goals against which would be 6th, and are playing at a 120 point pace, and if we continued playing like this we would finish with 107 points on the season.

Really comes off as people just decided they weren’t going to like this team this year whether they don’t like our style or were just fans of Gaudreau. This team has been a really good NHL team for a lengthy stretch now. The media jumping on this train isn’t helping either, still reading that to this day our new acquisitions are actively disappointing.
The Flames have 21 wins in 45 games

Until this team can win half of its games, there isn't really much to get excited about. Not everyone enjoys watching Noah's Derp.

And even their wins have not been dominant. No shutouts, very few blowouts, crappy powerplay.

it's alright to call a spade a spade and say that the Flames need to inject some life into the lineup that isn't on the wrong side of age 32.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
olympics-mc-kayla-maroney.gif
Perfect summary of this game.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I just can't get over Ras's high stick penalty with 1:45 5 on 3. So freaking unacceptable. That was the game changer. You may get 0 goals, you may score once or twice but having a 5 on 3 for us has been rare all year and you can't have that idiotic penalty for absolutely no reason.
Still fuming about it. :banghead:
to be fair the dude skated right into his stick with his face. Was a heads up play by the predator. It was a stupid penalty, but I mean at the same time, who does that.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
to be fair the dude skated right into his stick with his face. Was a heads up play by the predator. It was a stupid penalty, but I mean at the same time, who does that.

Watching the replay again, Ras had his stick level at his waist and when the guy was about to pass him, he does look at the guy coming in and lifts the stick to his face. Either way, control your f***ing stick. Such a stupid penalty.

Reactions: 23Monahan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames have 21 wins in 45 games

Until this team can win half of its games, there isn't really much to get excited about. Not everyone enjoys watching Noah's Derp.

And even their wins have not been dominant. No shutouts, very few blowouts, crappy powerplay.

it's alright to call a spade a spade and say that the Flames need to inject some life into the lineup that isn't on the wrong side of age 32.
None of this is incorrect, but 21 wins in 45 games is misleading in the context of "winning half your games" in my opinion. In playoff-style hockey, the Flames have 18 wins and 15 losses. Of the staggering 12 games that have gone to OT and beyond, they have thrown away a ton of bonus points, but that doesn't really have much bearing on the long-term outlook.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This team is going to be a tough out in playoffs if they make it there.

Sutter teams that won the cup were both 8 seeds I believe but they had John Quick. Markstrom falls over way too much to win 4 rounds. We need to play our version of Quick/Saros/Shesterkin to have a chance at a deep run but he’s still in the minors

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
None of this is incorrect, but 21 wins in 45 games is misleading in the context of "winning half your games" in my opinion. In playoff-style hockey, the Flames have 18 wins and 15 losses. Of the staggering 12 games that have gone to OT and beyond, they have thrown away a ton of bonus points, but that doesn't really have much bearing on the long-term outlook.
the bonus points are the loser points and they are the ONLY reason the Flames are in wild card contention and they absolutely have a bearing on the long term outlook if Sutter and Flames ownership tell Treliving to use the 2023 1st and 2nd rd picks to try to bolster this team

I didn't like it last season when they used the 2022 1st on Toffoli but at least that team was performing at a level that traditionally gets a deadline reinforcements

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The context was entertainment value of this team

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
the bonus points are the loser points and they are the ONLY reason the Flames are in wild card contention and they absolutely have a bearing on the long term outlook if Sutter and Flames ownership tell Treliving to use the 2023 1st and 2nd rd picks to try to bolster this team

I didn't like it last season when they used the 2022 1st on Toffoli but at least that team was performing at a level that traditionally gets a deadline reinforcements

It's silly to call it a loser point when it is awarded to both teams.

Like it or not, this team racking up points for being tied at the end of regulation is a result of being difficult to beat in regulation hockey (the type that is played in the playoffs).

If they play the second half the same way, you would expect more bonus points to be won just through regression to the mean.

OT and SO losses are a real mood-killer (they are treated on here the same way as blowout losses), but they really aren't a big problem, and they don't really deserve to be treated any differently than OT wins once you can calm your emotions after the game.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm so confused as to why Huberdeau is often the net-front guy on the powerplay

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Rasmus has to watch his stick there, not a blatant penalty, but a smart move by the Pred to negate what should be a certain goal.

Really disappointed with Coleman, before and after his penalty, giveaways, giveaways, giveaways - I expect a veteran player like that to make safer and smarter plays.

Duehrr looked off last night, you wonder if you put a kids line together or the kids with uncle Lewis etc. might be better. Seems they are trying to fit into a line and it makes them more hesitant and nervous than they likely already are.

Another 1 goal game, another game where we score only 1 - blend those lines!

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

We are 45 games into the season with the 25th ranked PP and the personnel and scheme of the top unit hasn't changed once.

What more needs to be said? It's crazy to me that some don't see an issue with roster managment this year.

Reactions: 23Monahan

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It's silly to call it a loser point when it is awarded to both teams.

Like it or not, this team racking up points for being tied at the end of regulation is a result of being difficult to beat in regulation hockey (the type that is played in the playoffs).

If they play the second half the same way, you would expect more bonus points to be won just through regression to the mean.

OT and SO losses are a real mood-killer (they are treated on here the same way as blowout losses), but they really aren't a big problem, and they don't really deserve to be treated any differently than OT wins once you can calm your emotions after the game.
yes i know that the "book" says both teams get 1 pt for the regulation tie and the winning team gets 1 pt for the OT/SO Win but in effect the team losing gets a loser pt. Just to be clear I have never been a fan of how the NHL awards pts since they eliminated ties.
but can you honestly say that 21-15-9 Calgary should be ranked higher than the 22-20-3 Blues only because they got to OT before they lose. Not that it really matters because neither of them are going to actually be able to beat out the Avalanche for that last wildcard berth.

If the NHL had implemented 3pt games I may look at the loser pt differently but as long as a team can be 8th in their conference and 15th in the NHL with the loser pt but would drop to 10 th and 19th without it i am not a fan.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We are 45 games into the season with the 25th ranked PP and the personnel and scheme of the top unit hasn't changed once.

What more needs to be said? It's crazy to me that some don't see an issue with roster managment this year.
Darryl Sutter: If it’s broke, don’t fix it

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

The scheme has changed throughout the first 45 games. Huberdeau and Kadri have moved around, Lindy and Toffoli frequently switch sides. I am curious what you think the personnel changes would look like? Also, Ruzicka has become a regular on PP2 in the last 10-15 games.

I am definitely not satisfied with the PP yet, but we have completely overhauled our PP since last year and it will definitely take time to adjust. Don't think there's a better PP1 than Toffoli-Lindholm-Huberdeau-Kadri-Rasmus. I don't think it's as much roster management as it is just a lack of another high-quality chance generator.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I dont have any evidence to back this up, but all I'll say is that I've seen Huberdeau as a net front presence on the PP more often this year than I can recall his last few years as a Panther, and maybe even his entire career tbh.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
The scheme has changed throughout the first 45 games. Huberdeau and Kadri have moved around, Lindy and Toffoli frequently switch sides. I am curious what you think the personnel changes would look like? Also, Ruzicka has become a regular on PP2 in the last 10-15 games.

I am definitely not satisfied with the PP yet, but we have completely overhauled our PP since last year and it will definitely take time to adjust. Don't think there's a better PP1 than Toffoli-Lindholm-Huberdeau-Kadri-Rasmus. I don't think it's as much roster management as it is just a lack of another high-quality chance generator.
I am a little surprised, given that its half a season already, that we haven't seen Weegar tried or Mangiapani. When Mangiapani signed his contract in the off-season, I thought it was a certain he would be in the mix for PP1.

Huberdeau feels like he needs a prime-Monahan-type to parlay those crease front passes into beautiful garbage goals. They had some chances last night but the PP still seems to slow, deliberate and when you face a big team with a good goalie, its hard to get better chances in the slot.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

The top unit is incredibly stagnant (lacks serious movement) and is predictable to defend. They also struggle with zone entries as Kadri can't be the lone focal point in that regard.

Rasmus and Toffoli specifically struggle with making quick and decisive decisions with the puck as well, and I think having three right handed shots with Huberdeau on the ice significantly limits his options when he is at by far his best on the left halfwall. It really is a shame that Kylington isn't available because quite frankly he is best suited for that unit, and we lack other options. I would try at the very least swapping Toffoli/Andersson for Hanifin and Ruzicka. Maybe give Weegar and or Mangiapane a shot.

Regardless - a change is needed. We won't go anywhere with a 25th ranked PP, and I just don't see a fit with the current five man unit leading the way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad