Flames 2023 Draft position watch - June 28–29, 2023, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Need Nashville to lose to Arizona tonight, and noted goal scorer brett Ritchie already coming through ahaha

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
So yes? O'Reilly can be the best player on a cup winning team, so can huberdeau, who before this yr is a better player than peak O'Reilly.

No O’Reilly hasn’t shown he can be the best player on a Cup winning team.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Many players have won the Conn Smythe without being the best player on their team.

Pietrangelo is a better player than O’Reilly or Hubredeau.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Many players have won the Conn Smythe without being the best player on their team.

Pietrangelo is a better player than O’Reilly or Hubredeau.
Pietrangelo is one of the most overrated player ever, what has he accompled personally? He's a Giordano without those Norris calibre seasons. Wins one cup with O'Reilly and binnington as a trio and all of a sudden he's perception around the league changes to he's a top 5 D

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Kulak, Brodie, Gio, Hathaway, Lomberg, Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Ferland, Bouma, Fox, Ruzicka, Wolf...

You don't have to point at the Bruins. We have a scouting staff capable of this.
Honestly, what this more suggests to me is that the Flames can draft, but they need to wholly revisit pro-scouting and development, as well as their general long-term planning. They have the scouting staff necessary, but everything falls apart along the way.

They can consistently find some steals, but guys like Hathaway and Lomberg finally break through, only to have other teams with better pro-scouts pull them away and given them deals Calgary would scoff at, but now kill to have on their team. Or with guys like Ruzicka/Phillips/Wolf, players who could be making an immediate impact now but are blocked for one reason or another behind player-based walls, or for absolutely no reason (Ruzicka/Phillips). Calgary fairly consistently holds players back that could be steals, and despite realizing some benefit, don't realize they could benefit more from giving advanced opportunity within the system.

And even then looking at their core, the quality of older players they have brought in in part due to pro-scouting is pretty weak outside of guys like Tanev. Overpaying for Neal leads to Lucic, not trading Frolik earlier leads to having to bridge Tkachuk, hence the recent departure of one of the top wings in the game. Trading a 1st+ for Travis Hamonic and forcing him in the top 4 where every team since has correctly assessed him as a 3rd pairing guy. It's great they can draft good players, but they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to be able to draft guys, and then also keep overpaid FA's on their roster, which leads to Tkachuk situations.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly, what this more suggests to me is that the Flames can draft, but they need to wholly revisit pro-scouting and development, as well as their general long-term planning. They have the scouting staff necessary, but everything falls apart along the way.

They can consistently find some steals, but guys like Hathaway and Lomberg finally break through, only to have other teams with better pro-scouts pull them away and given them deals Calgary would scoff at, but now kill to have on their team. Or with guys like Ruzicka/Phillips/Wolf, players who could be making an immediate impact now but are blocked for one reason or another behind player-based walls, or for absolutely no reason (Ruzicka/Phillips). Calgary fairly consistently holds players back that could be steals, and despite realizing some benefit, don't realize they could benefit more from giving advanced opportunity within the system.

And even then looking at their core, the quality of older players they have brought in in part due to pro-scouting is pretty weak outside of guys like Tanev. Overpaying for Neal leads to Lucic, not trading Frolik earlier leads to having to bridge Tkachuk, hence the recent departure of one of the top wings in the game. Trading a 1st+ for Travis Hamonic and forcing him in the top 4 where every team since has correctly assessed him as a 3rd pairing guy. It's great they can draft good players, but they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to be able to draft guys, and then also keep overpaid FA's on their roster, which leads to Tkachuk situations.

I consider it all to be true. Great prospect scouting. Poor pro scouting. Awful mandate demanding more pros on roster than prospects.

Frolik to be fair was a trade that fell through. Getting a Pelletier calibre at 26th was pure luck. Not Pasta level luck, but really damn good. UFA has gotten a lot better, but I agree I'd love 1-2 more opportunities for cup of coffee or prospect graduation on our roster. I'd love to see max contract length of 5 and UFA 4. We'd cycle through stresses on Gaudreau and Tkachuk type extensions earlier, but we'd get off the runway earlier for Lucic, Neal, Monahan (not his fault) etc. earlier and not have to use assets or wait as long for a roster spot to open up circa 2015-2016 IMO.

Contract max length reduction will save teams from themselves league wide and increase average AAV of contracts + increase prospect graduation IMO at the expense of decreasing the average contract length.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Regular reminder that the Flames employ all of 1 dedicated pro scout and that cup contending teams like the Lightning and Avalanche have 10 & 6 respectively.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Pietrangelo is one of the most overrated player ever, what has he accompled personally? He's a Giordano without those Norris calibre seasons. Wins one cup with O'Reilly and binnington as a trio and all of a sudden he's perception around the league changes to he's a top 5 D

yep one of those losers that have WJ Gold, WC Gold, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup, multiple all-star appearances, key member of the teams that won. LOL

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

I am not so sure about the bolded part. Fans love to overrate players but it has been awhile since someone has left after not getting a chance and turned out to be a big loss.

I prefer Valimaki over anyone on our bottom pair or lower, but he isn't a game changer or big loss. Most guys (Phillips and Ruzicka included) that don't get a shot aren't worth a damn.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
yep one of those losers that have WJ Gold, WC Gold, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup, multiple all-star appearances, key member of the teams that won. LOL
Because that's what I said, cute. When pretty much everything you listed is a part of being on a stacked Canada team that says about all that's needed. Bottom pair on team Canada Olympic team, whoopie. No one is saying he sucks, but he wasn't the best player on that blues team for that one, he's 3rd.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Because that's what I said, cute. When pretty much everything you listed is a part of being on a stacked Canada team that says about all that's needed. Bottom pair on team Canada Olympic team, whoopie. No one is saying he sucks, but he wasn't the best player on that blues team for that one, he's 3rd.

He was the best player on that Blues team, he was a key member of teams that won things, he has competed for Norris Trophies. He is recognized as one of the top defensemen in the league over his career for a reason.

You can keep trying to shit on him but it is meaningless. Especially when you are trying to argue that a team with Hubredeau as their best player can win the Cup.

Keep living in that pipe dream LOL I will live in reality where the Flames continue to do nothing, compete for nothing because like you they overrate crap players.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
He was the best player on that Blues team, he was a key member of teams that won things, he has competed for Norris Trophies. He is recognized as one of the top defensemen in the league over his career for a reason.

You can keep trying to shit on him but it is meaningless. Especially when you are trying to argue that a team with Hubredeau as their best player can win the Cup.

Keep living in that pipe dream LOL I will live in reality where the Flames continue to do nothing, compete for nothing because like you they overrate crap players.
And you can keep crying about how he's the best player on that team for the cup run and he never was. Maybe you are in one in the pipedream considering ooo tHe bEsT PaLyer can't even get 1 1st place conn Smyth vote and a whooping 3 2nd place vote and 1 3rd. Must be cuz he vastly underperformed or got badly outperformed by the inferior players on he's team eh. He was a top 10-15 D man in the league, sorry I must be shitting on him. Huberdeau prior to this year is regarded justed as high if not higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad