HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't see Calgary rebuilding right after signing Huberdeau and Kadri. It's a Canadian team they'll spend to the cap signing a bunch of useless vets and will likely finish just outside the top 10. IMO it's the more likely scenario for this pick it'll be between 11th and 15th.
If they replace departing players with useless vets they will likely be in the bottom 10. Sharks and Hawks have mostly completely useless vets.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't get the logic of "don't improve the team until the team improves." If we signed Nylander, he'd be our best offensive forward by far. I can kind of agree with like a PLD/Reinhart/another tertiary guy you're talking about, but I don't think signing a bonafide star would hurt anything. It's not like they're going to take ice time from any of our other forward prospects.
With Nylander maybe we eek into the playoffs and go nowhere. Without him our younger players get more ice, we get a top ten. Moreover our cap structure doesn’t get blown complicit of whack. Plus if it’s a trade we have to give up significant assets.

We’re rebuilding. Stick with the plan. Don’t do it halfheartedly. Do it right.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't get the logic of "don't improve the team until the team improves." If we signed Nylander, he'd be our best offensive forward by far. I can kind of agree with like a PLD/Reinhart/another tertiary guy you're talking about, but I don't think signing a bonafide star would hurt anything. It's not like they're going to take ice time from any of our other forward prospects.
Nylander and Reinhart have similar career paces since their breakouts a few years ago. One could argue Nylander benefits from his linemates and team structure a lot more than Reinhart has. I don't think either guy is the type to carry a line on a bad team.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I would have happily signed Nylander to 10 mil for 7. Not a penny more. I have zero interest in anyone else from this years UFA crop, Reinhart included. I believe Hughes said we will be UFA hunting in a couple of years time. I'm good with that.

Reactions: Surfer72

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Do we get Calgary’s pick this year?
The way it sounds is that if the pick is between 20 and 32, the Habs can take it instead of receiving the 2025 first rounder.

So Calgary has to have the most points of any wild card team at the very least or make the playoffs and make it to the conference finals for the Habs to have the option of taking their 2024 pick. Flames are currently 5 points out of being tied with St. Louis for a wild card spot and tied with Arizona (49pts), and behind Seattle (52pts), and Nashville (54pts). That would just get them into the playoffs though. Top wild card teams are Toronto and Detroit both with 58pts.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Just think we acquired Monahan and an actual real chance at a lottery pick in exchange for basically nothing (futures). It's mind-boggling. Can you imagine proposing this trade on any social media outlet prior to it happening? You'd get flamed non-stop. Mocked. Laughed at. Ridiculed...but it actually happened.

We certainly didn't get flamed.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
If Florida finishes bottom 10 next year their pick does not go to Calgary, is that correct? That means the Calgary pick goes to us unless it's 1st overall?

Reactions: Scintillating10

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
I suck at following the logic in charts. Maybe you can make the most of it.

I'm pretty certain that if the Florida Panthers 2025 pick is in the top 10, Calgary doesn't get it; it becomes the Panthers 2026 draft pick that moves to Calgary.

In that scenario the only 2025 first round pick the Flames have is their first, so we get it wherever it lies unless it's the 1st overall. If it's the 1st OA then we get the better of the Flames or Panthers 2026 first round pick and a 4th rounder.

Basically if the Panthers blow it next year which we should all be rooting for, it's great for us. I'm ready to be hurt again.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
If they replace departing players with useless vets they will likely be in the bottom 10. Sharks and Hawks have mostly completely useless vets.
I would say Habs can compete with any team in the useless vets department. We would even make da playoffs if that was the qualifying criteria.

Reactions: MoneyManny

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I'm pretty certain that if the Florida Panthers 2025 pick is in the top 10, Calgary doesn't get it; it becomes the Panthers 2026 draft pick that moves to Calgary.

In that scenario the only 2025 first round pick the Flames have is their first, so we get it wherever it lies unless it's the 1st overall. If it's the 1st OA then we get the better of the Flames or Panthers 2026 first round pick and a 4th rounder.

Basically if the Panthers blow it next year which we should all be rooting for, it's great for us. I'm ready to be hurt again.
I think you nailed it. It's this year where we have the right to refuse the pick if it's 20-32, but thereafter, we're at the mercy of the events you mentioned. I won't at all feel hurt like I did last year when everything went the Panthers way to barely make the playoffs. Even if it's a late 1st this time, we also got Monahan out of it. That's why so many Flames fans are so butthurt on the main boards...they're cringing at the thought we have a very real chance at gaining 2 1OA picks for Sean Monahan a player that cost us nothing from our end.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well look like Florida going to F us over again...
CGY will be in the top 10 next year so that pick will be protected and Florida will be good enough to transfer the pick to CGY which will than be our pick. We need Florida to miss the playoff and and Calgary win the Lottery it would be even better since the better of Florida or Calgary pick will be in the running for Mckenna...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The theory of relativity was easier to figure out

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
IMO Armia has strengths and flaws.

the rest of the guys eh ... I see them mostly as a strict negative.
you found positives about Armia, but not Anderson? lol
10/10 gm's would take Andy over Armia every day of the week, Armia blows all over the ice and has no physical play. Andy may suck this year, but up till now he at least pots some goals and can play physical, and has speed. I don't understand why Armia is even here

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Well look like Florida going to F us over again...
CGY will be in the top 10 next year so that pick will be protected and Florida will be good enough to transfer the pick to CGY which will than be our pick. We need Florida to miss the playoff and and Calgary win the Lottery it would be even better since the better of Florida or Calgary pick will be in the running for Mckenna...
I believe Habs get the worst of the 2 picks if the are both top 10 picks and the better of the 2 picks if they are both outside the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad