GDT: FLAMES (19-14-7) @ BLACKHAWKS (9-25-4) | 5 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lindholm isn't a 1C. Or at least not the elite one you need to win playoff series in this league. Neither is Kadri. It's an impressive collection of middle 6 players and top 4 defenseman. That's all it is.

We still have a couple Ottawa Senators losses scheduled for this year.

I will be honest and say Lindholm has played better than I expected. He could have an ROR type run as a second-tier 1C.

But the team is build to grind in a league where grinding results in zilch.

Even Zahorna, who is a solid depth piece, is not one of the twelve best options we have.

Huberdeau - Kadri - Phillips
Ruzicka - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Lindholm - Toffoli
Pellettier - Lewis - Coleman

It just makes so much sense.

PP1
Kadri
Phillips - Lindholm - Huberdeau
Kylington(or Weegar while Kyly is out)

PP2
Ruzicka
Andersson - Toffoli - Mangiapane
Backlund

Reactions: Fig

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I will be honest and say Lindholm has played better than I expected. He could have an ROR type run as a second-tier 1C.

But the team is build to grind in a league where grinding results in zilch.

Even Zahorna, who is a solid depth piece, is not one of the twelve best options we have.

Huberdeau - Kadri - Phillips
Ruzicka - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Lindholm - Toffoli
Pellettier - Lewis - Coleman

It just makes so much sense.
I wouldn't mind swapping Coleman and Rosie because those two are two-way gods, but thank you for proving my point.

This team can run a top 9 of legit good players all around. Hell even if you remove Phillips you can still put together a far better top 9 than we have right now.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Watching CP's shitshow of a PGT is eye watering stuff.

Some mighty fine hypocrites there. Fans thinking booing Gaudreau is childish = don't judge fans let them live their lives. Some people not happy after losing to the 32nd ranked team in the league = stfu I don't like your complaining I'm going to bitch and complain about your complaining.

I'm dead right now. :laugh::popcorn:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
So let me get this right. Losses to Columbus, Montreal, Chicago. Any other basement dwellers?

What's the big deal? It's not like we have to play them in the playoffs!

giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Watching CP's shitshow of a PGT is eye watering stuff.

Some mighty fine hypocrites there. Fans thinking booing Gaudreau is childish = don't judge fans let them live their lives. Some people not happy after losing to the 32nd ranked team in the league = stfu I don't like your complaining I'm going to bitch and complain about your complaining.

I'm dead right now. :laugh::popcorn:

About as coherent as drunks at a dive bar is what I usually say.

Reactions: super6646

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sutter blamed the Flames young players for that loss. Lol wut is he smoking?

Well to be fair.. his classification of a young player is under the age of 30.

His total lack of accountability for his own roster decisions really is concerning. A so called lack of preparation should be the responsibility of the head coach - but nah, it's the young kids fault. I suppose Adam Ruzicka in his 7 minutes of icetime last night was the reason we lost to the worst team in the league.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Since the losing streak at the start of the season the Flames are 14-8-6 in the last 28 games. That's playing at a 100 point pace for those who have a hard time mathing.

This team looked flat last night, and honestly, I don't think Sutter was off when he said his young guys didn't look up for it. I thought Dube, Zahorna and Ruzicka all looked really sleepy last night. We couldn't really play the fourth line at all in general. For a game that was played on 5v5 predominantly, it's weird to see guys play 7 minutes.

Reactions: Yepthatsme

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Since the losing streak at the start of the season the Flames are 14-8-6 in the last 28 games. That's playing at a 100 point pace for those who have a hard time mathing.

This team looked flat last night, and honestly, I don't think Sutter was off when he said his young guys didn't look up for it. I thought Dube, Zahorna and Ruzicka all looked really sleepy last night. We couldn't really play the fourth line at all in general. For a game that was played on 5v5 predominantly, it's weird to see guys play 7 minutes.
Honestly the only difference between Calgary being back to an elite team in the league right now is firing our special teams coach into the sun. Over that stretch that’s the 12th best record league wide, and we’ve had the 8th most 5v5 goals. The only thing lagging behind is we have a bottom 10 powerplay during that stretch, and we are completely useless in extra time going 2 for 8 (3 for 11 on the season now). That’s a delta of 15 between our 5v5 scoring rank and powerplay rank. Last season we also went 6 for 17 in extra time, and our 5v5 scoring and powerplay ranks didn’t have as much of a discrepancy but there was still a gap.

Dube-Lindholm-Toffoli have the 9th highest G/60 rank league wide.
Huberdeau-Kadri-Lucic have to the 13th best G/60 league wide.
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman lag behind there, but actually have the highest xG/60 by far and best xG% as well.

Literally all we need to do is to figure out how to produce offense not 5v5 and we are back to being an extremely dangerous hockey team. Great news is the closer we get to the playoffs and especially in the playoffs, 5v5 gets more and more important. Just fire our special teams coach and get a guy who knows how to design a 5 on 4 and 3 on 3 system already.

Reactions: Volica

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
the fact is if the Flames makes the playoffs its gonna be on the back of loser pts which makes them 1st round fodder and in that case I would rather be last
The fact is if the Flames make the playoffs, 3v3 OT and shootouts will be gone, and Calgary will actually have a chance to win close games again. I’d be much more worried being a team who’s actually depended on getting wins at 3v3 or shootouts like Vegas (8-2), LA (7-6), Winnipeg (7-1) and Colorado (8-3) going into the postseason.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Good luck for tonight!
While I hope Edmonton edge Calgary for a post season place, I sure didn't like where both team sit at right now

We are suppose to battle IN the playoff ffs, not now....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad