GDT: FLAMES (12-9-3) vs. WILD (13-9-2) @ 6 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Flames win again.

riker-star-trek-tng.gif

Yes. I like this.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
I'm guessing markstrom will get the Columbus start on Friday and then back to vladar for Toronto on Saturday. Hopefully Marky comes back refreshed and we have two goalies that can steal games!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don’t look now.
Huberdeau 7 points in 6 games.
Ruzicka maintaining his torrid pace.

6 players pacing ~60+ points now. We’re nearing that 30 game mark when everyone thought this team would start to click.

Some average goaltending the next few games and Calgary could make some separation.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ruzicka looks our best forward right now. Guy is a total beast.

Now if only we could give that opportunity to other prospects in our top 9…

I’m still not impressed by huberdeau. Guy has a growing sample size of being a ghost at es.

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I wasn't able to catch the game but what a huge f***ing W, moral-wise. Come back from 2-0 down, give up a 3-2 lead in the third and storm back to win 5-3. Hopefully this instills some confidence in the boys.

Reactions: Boomstick

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Missed a lot of the 3rd but feels like a big win. Without getting Jake Allened against Montreal we might have been looking at an undefeated homestand here.

Great : Thought Coleman was a beast tonight. Ditto Ras, seems like when the team needs someone to make a play he's the guy who steps up more often than not. I keep thinking he's plateaued but man has he been awesome this season. Special teams starting to climb the rankings is a good sign.

Good : Weegar Tanev pairing is really starting to mesh. Tough first shift but after that thought they were very very solid against the Kaprizov line. Weegar had some rough moments.
Vladar another strong start, don't think you could put any of those GA on him.
1st line may finally be gaining some chemistry, all three of Hubs, Lindy, and Toffoli looked good on the PP. Still want a little more 5v5 maybe. Huberdeau led the team in CF rel with 29%.
Ruzicka really starting to look like a great find in the 4th round. Maybe the Flames will finally wake up and start to believe in their drafting, it's the only reason this team is even maybe relevant.

Pretty good : Backs another solid outing. Our most consistent player IMO. Kadri had some jump but man he turns it over in the NZ and blueline a lot. Always seems to be going 1 on 3.

Not bad : Mangiapane and Dube were just OK. Had some chances, liked the work on the PK. Were still -2. Hanifin too hesitant with the puck, could not make a breakout pass, but stayed with the Wild wingers well. Zadorov got a little scrambly in this one, had to cover for Stone a lot. Lewis was better, much prefer him at 4C to Rooney if those are the two options.

Not good : Stone really starting to look like the 7D he is. He made some good plays but man him facing a rush in open ice is always scary. Lucic we don't need a lot out of you man, but something other than turning it over would be nice.

Could always do what Sutter did with Markstrom and start both games with Vladar.

If Markstrom can't beat the Blue Jackets he is truly lost. Thompson scored 5 goals on them by himself tonight. Buffalo scored 9

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Missed a lot of the 3rd but feels like a big win. Without getting Jake Allened against Montreal we might have been looking at an undefeated homestand here.

Great : Thought Coleman was a beast tonight. Ditto Ras, seems like when the team needs someone to make a play he's the guy who steps up more often than not. I keep thinking he's plateaued but man has he been awesome this season. Special teams starting to climb the rankings is a good sign.

Good : Weegar Tanev pairing is really starting to mesh. Tough first shift but after that thought they were very very solid against the Kaprizov line. Weegar had some rough moments.
Vladar another strong start, don't think you could put any of those GA on him.
1st line may finally be gaining some chemistry, all three of Hubs, Lindy, and Toffoli looked good on the PP. Still want a little more 5v5 maybe. Huberdeau led the team in CF rel with 29%.
Ruzicka really starting to look like a great find in the 4th round. Maybe the Flames will finally wake up and start to believe in their drafting, it's the only reason this team is even maybe relevant.

Pretty good : Backs another solid outing. Our most consistent player IMO. Kadri had some jump but man he turns it over in the NZ and blueline a lot. Always seems to be going 1 on 3.

Not bad : Mangiapane and Dube were just OK. Had some chances, liked the work on the PK. Were still -2. Hanifin too hesitant with the puck, could not make a breakout pass, but stayed with the Wild wingers well. Zadorov got a little scrambly in this one, had to cover for Stone a lot. Lewis was better, much prefer him at 4C to Rooney if those are the two options.

Not good : Stone really starting to look like the 7D he is. He made some good plays but man him facing a rush in open ice is always scary. Lucic we don't need a lot out of you man, but something other than turning it over would be nice.

If Markstrom can't beat the Blue Jackets he is truly lost. Thompson scored 5 goals on them by himself tonight. Buffalo scored 9

I honestly thought that Zad - Weegar was a really solid pairing when they were together. If and when Oliver comes back, I wouldn’t mind rolling:

Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Weeger
Kylington - Tanev

And I’m good with TOI being that way too. Keep Tanev healthy moving into the playoffs, ease Kylington back in.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Meant more that Sutter had a habit of starting Markstrom for both games for back to backs and who knows, could do the same for Vladar instead.
As good as vladar is, he is young and has never had a heavy workload in the NHL, I agree we need to play him the majority of games if he keeps this play up, but making him play a back to back, when we have a favourable matchup vs a weaker team doesnt make sense to me. Good chance to see if markstrom can get back into game shape, and lets us have a rested Vladar for a tough toronto matchup on the road back to back.

But yes the markstrom back to back play was really stupid with how good Vladar is, especially in hindsight as we lost both games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad