GDT: FLAMES (11-10-3) vs. COYOTES (7-11-4) @ 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet 1 | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I'm actually shocked that Darryl is giving Vladar the net at least for now. It was needed, but it's also wonderful to see. Go have another great game Vladdy. Marky will be back, but it's a nice luxury to have such a quality backup playing like he is.

Reactions: Tofveve

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'll be cheering for the powerhouse Lucic+Rooney+Lewis line. I figure Lucic is due to score a goal any day now.

eternalflame2016

Nov 3, 2018
Hi everyone, someone posted in one of the GDT threads about removing a player from each team to facilitate more goals and thus increase the worldwide recognition of ice hockey. And it got me thinking, maybe one of the reasons that ice hockey is not recognised/watched as much as we would like around the world isn't the lack of goals, but (partly at least) it's the format of the league.

Not only is the way the NHL is set up completely insane (playing some teams 2, 3 or 4 times per season is mad and not done in any other sport that I'm vaguely knowledgable in), but tanking is encouraged by the league and draft format. I believe that the confusion around it and the competition to be the worst team plays a big part in the reason that people don't watch as much. Why would anyone care about watching Anneheim vs Chicago play when they are actively trying to let each other win?

My solution would be to have a league set up that includes 24 teams who play each other twice. the other 8 teams would join the top ranked AHL and OHL teams in a second league of 20-24 (who also play each other twice).

Each team would have a roster allocation of 30 signed players (26 skaters and a maximum of 4 goalies), with the usual 20 players picked for a game day squad from those 30 players.

AHL and OHL teams would no longer be affiliated to any NHL team and would instead function as teams in there own right, and the draft would be changed to accomodate this new system by allowing the teams to negotiate with the players/their agents and leaving it up to the players to decide which team they will join based on the contracts offered to them. The caveat to this being that the teams that finish higher up the league will not be allowed to offer as many contracts so that they can't buy up all the talent.

At the end of each season the bottom 3 teams in the new NHL would be relegated while the top 2 teams in the 2nd division would be promoted with 3rd - 6th places having a mini playoff between themselves for the 3rd promotion.

The Stanley cup would be played alongside the league games, however now it will be open to all teams who play each other in best of 3 games with no seeding. This may result in some lopsided games at first, but I believe it would balance out after a while.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, the idea kind of kept evolving as I was typing it :D TLDR: How would you feel about the NHL adopting a more European/rest of the world league format?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
These Reverse Retros can go away anytime now, rather watch the trash-tier Blasty jerseys than these travesties.

"Hey, we have the best kit in thee NHL (normal retros), let's introduce two shit jerseys and keep using them instead." - the Flames marketing/design team

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Just got back from my hockey game and a couple beers, nice to see vladar again, not nice to see 0 shots in 6 minutes lolll, common flames must win game here

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Hi everyone, someone posted in one of the GDT threads about removing a player from each team to facilitate more goals and thus increase the worldwide recognition of ice hockey. And it got me thinking, maybe one of the reasons that ice hockey is not recognised/watched as much as we would like around the world isn't the lack of goals, but (partly at least) it's the format of the league.

Not only is the way the NHL is set up completely insane (playing some teams 2, 3 or 4 times per season is mad and not done in any other sport that I'm vaguely knowledgable in), but tanking is encouraged by the league and draft format. I believe that the confusion around it and the competition to be the worst team plays a big part in the reason that people don't watch as much. Why would anyone care about watching Anneheim vs Chicago play when they are actively trying to let each other win?

My solution would be to have a league set up that includes 24 teams who play each other twice. the other 8 teams would join the top ranked AHL and OHL teams in a second league of 20-24 (who also play each other twice).

Each team would have a roster allocation of 30 signed players (26 skaters and a maximum of 4 goalies), with the usual 20 players picked for a game day squad from those 30 players.

AHL and OHL teams would no longer be affiliated to any NHL team and would instead function as teams in there own right, and the draft would be changed to accomodate this new system by allowing the teams to negotiate with the players/their agents and leaving it up to the players to decide which team they will join based on the contracts offered to them. The caveat to this being that the teams that finish higher up the league will not be allowed to offer as many contracts so that they can't buy up all the talent.

At the end of each season the bottom 3 teams in the new NHL would be relegated while the top 2 teams in the 2nd division would be promoted with 3rd - 6th places having a mini playoff between themselves for the 3rd promotion.

The Stanley cup would be played alongside the league games, however now it will be open to all teams who play each other in best of 3 games with no seeding. This may result in some lopsided games at first, but I believe it would balance out after a while.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, the idea kind of kept evolving as I was typing it :D TLDR: How would you feel about the NHL adopting a more European/rest of the world league format?

Thanks for the effort! I personally like our current format and actually think it's getting subtly more popular every year. The bottom feeding teams will always bleed fans in the stands but that's not unlike other leagues. But you can see the popularity in markets like Dallas with their resurgence and even the production of top talents coming out of non-traditional markets like Cali, Arizona, and Texas. My 2 cents.

Nice PP kill.

Reactions: eternalflame2016

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

This will never happen.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I know we're playing the Yotes, but I've heard louder beer league games than this. You could tell me the Dome at 14 people in it and I'd believe you.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
We lack any sort of cohesive offensive attack still.
Forsure, there's a reason every other team has someone with more points that our leading scorer. Hard to watch players breakout all over the league while our overplayed players struggle to put up points. All of my friends that play fantasy hockey tell me how much they regret drafting flames players ahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad