CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Slepychev? yes, he'll go back to the KHL
Caggulia? won't be re-signed or traded
Aberg and Kassian? on waivers for the AHL

only Strome can I see back on this team for sure next year
If we have a new GM sure.

Sleyshev will be gone.
Cagguila will be here getting top 9 minutes cause he is Chias guy.
Aberg will get another chance and Kassian will stay.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Reading both flames and oilers boards this morning, you'd think this game was a junior B caliber effort from both sides :laugh: In reality, I thought both teams played pretty hard and the game was chippy as hell, I personally loved it. Talbot and Smith both had big saves, and the intensity just kept increasing until the end. Great BOA imo.

I'm sure you guys talk about this ad nauseam, but just finding players who can somewhat keep up with McDavid would go a long way. Every time I see him against the flames it still blows my mind how much faster he is than the next fastest guy on the ice. For our part, the defense did the best they could, you simply try to keep him to the outside as much as possible so he gets poor percentage chances. It's funny though, he's so fast, that he's already made a play in the offensive zone before another oiler can get there.

Anyways, good game guys, solid rivalry...It's what I expect to see when we play.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That's how I always see it with JP as well. I think he has a good shot but hes rarely using it. He also has a penchant to misplay the puck and like you said, display zero sense of urgency when playing the game. Then again, that also seems to be a problem with a majority of our personnel-no desperation, no urgency.
Yeah, thanks man. Im not even trying to get down on the player because he had the misfortune to be drafted by this sorry franchise. I just think he needs to be working on getting the 'sloppy' out of his game. I saw one instance last night where he botched a chance and the camera panned in close on him and he was grinning like a kid playing pond hockey. Its great that he loves the game and has fun out there, but honestly I'd like to see a little more determination.

Again, because it seems like I need to be crystal clear to avoid certain posters assuming the worst, JP was far from the only one who played a low intensity game last night. Guys with more years under their belts are not doing a very good job of showing the kid a good example of the level of intensity needed to succeed at the NHL level.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, thanks man. Im not even trying to get down on the player because he had the misfortune to be drafted by this sorry franchise. I just think he needs to be working on getting the 'sloppy' out of his game. I saw one instance last night where he botched a chance and the camera panned in close on him and he was grinning like a kid playing pond hockey. Its great that he loves the game and has fun out there, but honestly I'd like to see a little more determination.

Again, because it seems like I need to be crystal clear to avoid certain posters assuming the worst, JP was far from the only one who played a low intensity game last night. Guys with more years under their belts are not doing a very good job of showing the kid a good example of the level of intensity needed to succeed at the NHL level.
Yep. Young players are often the bright spots in bad years because they still have that youthful energy and haven't had their spirits broken by long NHL careers.

Pulju hasn't been a bright spot this year.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

JP fandom here reminds me of Yakupov/Omark days. Like of course we all want them to succeed but they just aren't showing it-hence the criticism. The coach isn't helping with his line ups but neither is the player himself.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
JP fandom here reminds me of Yakupov/Omark days. Like of course we all want them to succeed but they just aren't showing it-hence the criticism. The coach isn't helping with his line ups but neither is the player himself.
The JP/Yak comparisons aren't completely unfounded either... JP is a better player but often he's just kinda... there.

Reactions: frag2

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I try to but I just see nothing.

A great team that Chiarelli has constructed...

He's got his hands dirty for sure.. but this futility has been with the organization for 12 years.

Lowe, Tambellini, McTavish, Chiarelli have all contributed to this pile of horse crap.

The next GM will continue the tradition I have no doubt.

The next line of scouts will blow ass...
As with the next wave of AHL developmental coaches.

This team blows ass... to the core.. it has for 12 years.. it will for 12 more.

There's something fundamentally wrong with how the organization is run. I've no idea what it is. But no simple gm change.. coach change... NHL generational talent draft .... can change.
Last year was the anomaly.. for one year they forgot what a bunch of losers they were. They've remember'd that now there's no doubt.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The JP/Yak comparisons aren't completely unfounded either... JP is a better player but often he's just kinda... there.

Yep. Hopefully he becomes less "happy to be there" and more do whatever it takes to win. Have hopes but with TMac at helm...derr

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's got his hands dirty for sure.. but this futility has been with the organization for 12 years.

Lowe, Tambellini, McTavish, Chiarelli have all contributed to this pile of horse crap.

The next GM will continue the tradition I have no doubt.

The next line of scouts will blow ass...
As with the next wave of AHL developmental coaches.

This team blows ass... to the core.. it has for 12 years.. it will for 12 more.

There's something fundamentally wrong with how the organization is run. I've no idea what it is. But no simple gm change.. coach change... NHL generational talent draft .... can change.
Last year was the anomaly.. for one year they forgot what a bunch of losers they were. They've remember'd that now there's no doubt.
Everyone in the front office should be given walking papers.

As bad as the MacT/Lowe/Tambi eras were we still had some useful players that are almost completely gone for picks/prospects/marginally useful players.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's a crock and you know it. I have been posting positively about JP all along.
Check his thread if you doubt that.
Just because he didn't get any giveaways on the game sheet doesn't mean they didn't happen.
I stand by my evaluation that he played a lazy game. He wasn't alone in that, but if you think he played like he wants to get bumped up the lineup then I'd have to respectfully submit that its you who's making things up that didn't happen. Kid needs to show a bit of urgency. No harm in pointing that out.

You saying your criticism of him is fair is a crock. He was given a few poor passes in the skates that he didn't handle perfectly. Other than that he had a solid game. Your definition of lazy must be not what everyone else is considering you're the biggest Eberle fanboy in history and his play last season was as lazy as it gets.

Reactions: PulYou

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You saying your criticism of him is fair is a crock. He was given a few poor passes in the skates that he didn't handle perfectly. Other than that he had a solid game. Your definition of lazy must be not what everyone else is considering you're the biggest Eberle fanboy in history and his play last season was as lazy as it gets.
As a big Eberle fan boy, wouldn't he know exactly what lazy looks like?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
As a big Eberle fan boy, wouldn't he know exactly what lazy looks like?
He'd defend Eberle's honor of being the hardest worker to the death.

Puljujarvi is playing his off wing in the bottom 6 with poorer linemates than Eberle ever had at any point in his career. Him being elevated to the top 6 instantly made Drai's line more effective. There's a connection there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He'd defend Eberle's honor of being the hardest worker to the death.

Puljujarvi is playing his off wing in the bottom 6 with poorer linemates than Eberle ever had at any point in his career. Him being elevated to the top 6 instantly made Drai's line more effective. There's a connection there.
In a shitty season usually teams look at their young guys (everywhere in the lineup) as a bright spot for next year. Puljujarvi has been as complacent as the rest of the roster which is not good to see from a young guy trying to earn the coaches favor.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
In a ****ty season usually teams look at their young guys (everywhere in the lineup) as a bright spot for next year. Puljujarvi has been as complacent as the rest of the roster which is not good to see from a young guy trying to earn the coaches favor.

Bullshit. He was playing very well on the top line, he got bumped down to the second line to try and ignite them. Then Nuge got hurt and he hasn't seen time will a decent center since. Most recently being bumped down to the 4th line to learn how to play LW...great coaching. Meanwhile in that time our top line LW has scored one goal in 35 games, yet is still in the top 6 and top PP unit.

In a shitty season you look for your vets to lead. They aren't.

Puljujarvi/60 numbers are still amongst the best on the team. Yet he's stuck playing 4th line on his off wing while Aberg, Slepy, Lucic, Caggulia get top 6 minutes. What have they done to earn that?

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

Of course You are allowed to have an opinion on Pulju's game (different from mine). I just pointed out earlier that he didn't have brutal giveaways as You were writing.

I could be totally wrong with my view, but I truly see a winning player in him. He is still young and confidence plays a big part on how he is succeeding. Not letting him play on his strenghts is simply bad coaching on TMac's side (Pulju's developement and the whole team's success).

There were some opposite views from Your's, for example David Staples wrote in Cult of Hockey:
"Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. Was second on the team with four shots and one of them was a great chance from close in. It’s time to play him more than the 11:45 he got, but it’s been that time for some time. He’s earning ice by generally making solid plays with the puck."

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Of course You are allowed to have an opinion on Pulju's game (different from mine). I just pointed out earlier that he didn't have brutal giveaways as You were writing.

I could be totally wrong with my view, but I truly see a winning player in him. He is still young and confidence plays a big part on how he is succeeding. Not letting him play on his strenghts is simply bad coaching on TMac's side (Pulju's developement and the whole team's success).

There were some opposite views from Your's, for example David Staples wrote in Cult of Hockey:
"Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. Was second on the team with four shots and one of them was a great chance from close in. It’s time to play him more than the 11:45 he got, but it’s been that time for some time. He’s earning ice by generally making solid plays with the puck."

On a night where only a handful of forwards had any jump in their game, he was one of them. Even earned a promotion back to where he should be playing. Too bad he'll be back in the bottom 6 to start next game with Cammy and Lucic getting their guaranteed top 6 time.

I was also at the game so my view may have been different than someone watching some of it on TV.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Talbot with one of his best games of the season. For those who want him gone remember what we had in the previous decade.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad