Post-Game Talk: Flames 1 Oilers 0

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Talbot with one of his best games of the season. For those who want him gone remember what we had in the previous decade.
I dont think anyone wants the Talbot of the last 3 games gone but the one who let the first shot in 18 times

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
JP fandom here reminds me of Yakupov/Omark days. Like of course we all want them to succeed but they just aren't showing it-hence the criticism. The coach isn't helping with his line ups but neither is the player himself.

Please let's not go to this. I always hate it when the talk turns to terms like fandom, fanboy etc.

There's a few of you who seem (to me at least) they can only write about Jesse with critique, and I feel a bit guilty for that. I mean I guess my messages have played a part in making this a kind of an adversarial.

Please try to understand my point, even when you see the player in a different light. It's okay if you've never believed in Jesse, but it'd be great to see you admit that he's had good times and good games in the top6.

Or at least that his statistics have been fine and that at those times a lot of fans were excited about him. I feel some people write those off by e.g. saying a sample size of 20-25 games isn't enough, but then go and use even smaller sample sizes for their own purposes. And you've seen I don't really like that.

I may have written too many posts about Jesse and brought the same stats too often, which annoyed some of you, but at least I've admitted there are issues he needs to work with. I was a bit surprised there were 2-3 of you who didn't admit seeing any point in anything I wrote. And who may have had some proper points, but who IMO needlessly fought against some things that could've just been accepted. It doesn't mean I or anyone else wins as there's no need for a winner here.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Of course You are allowed to have an opinion on Pulju's game (different from mine). I just pointed out earlier that he didn't have brutal giveaways as You were writing.
I saw the giveaways, call them bad passes if you prefer, but they happened. The fact that they weren't reflected in the score sheet (I haven't looked, just taking your word here) means nothing as we all know that stats like giveaways and poor passes are counted very subjectively.
I could be totally wrong with my view, but I truly see a winning player in him. He is still young and confidence plays a big part on how he is succeeding. Not letting him play on his strenghts is simply bad coaching on TMac's side (Pulju's developement and the whole team's success).
I'm sure not saying you are wrong about JP being a 'winning player'. I have no idea what he'll develop into and I assume you have followed his career much more closely than I have from early days and therefore are in a much better position to make a judgement like that. We can all see that he's getting poor coaching, fewer minutes and weaker linemates right now. I hope, as I'm sure you do, that he's mentally strong enough to overcome that. We can say for sure that he has all the raw talent and the body size to be successful in the NHL. He looks like a prototypical hockey player. Still has many things to work on though imo. And if I may say, he seldom makes plays that make you go "wow".
There were some opposite views from Your's, for example David Staples wrote in Cult of Hockey:
"Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. Was second on the team with four shots and one of them was a great chance from close in. It’s time to play him more than the 11:45 he got, but it’s been that time for some time. He’s earning ice by generally making solid plays with the puck."
I sure don't mind when people have different views than myself. I've never claimed to be a hockey expert in the class of @nabob. I'm more of a fan. I see what I see and I'm sure I miss a lot of things. Its a good thing about this board if we can all try to learn something from other poster's viewpoints instead of just dismissing different ideas right away. I always appreciate the positive attitude of the European fans who post here, and I hope you won't take offense if I sometimes post something negative about JP. I really like the kid and I'm hoping he turns out to be a big piece of the puzzle for the Oilers - once Chiarelli and McLellan are fired of course ;)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Please let's not go to this. I always hate it when the talk turns to terms like fandom, fanboy etc.

There's a few of you who seem (to me at least) they can only write about Jesse with critique, and I feel a bit guilty for that. I mean I guess my messages have played a part in making this a kind of an adversarial.

Please try to understand my point, even when you see the player in a different light. It's okay if you've never believed in Jesse, but it'd be great to see you admit that he's had good times and good games in the top6.

Or at least that his statistics have been fine and that at those times a lot of fans were excited about him. I feel some people write those off by e.g. saying a sample size of 20-25 games isn't enough, but then go and use even smaller sample sizes for their own purposes. And you've seen I don't really like that.

I may have written too many posts about Jesse and brought the same stats too often, which annoyed some of you, but at least I've admitted there are issues he needs to work with. I was a bit surprised there were 2-3 of you who didn't admit seeing any point in anything I wrote. And who may have had some proper points, but who IMO needlessly fought against some things that could've just been accepted. It doesn't mean I or anyone else wins as there's no need for a winner here.

I dont get this. Anytime anyone writes any criticism of him, prefaced with a disclaimer that he or she still believes in JP, you give this rhetoric where "if you never believed"

A lot of us that critique his game still think he going to be a good player. Is he gonna be that star winger that we expected him to be? I dunno but he has shown glimpses of that. He is also prone to mistakes young players do.

This is getting really irritating. If you dont like posters criticizing him, just ignore the post or even better, add them to your ignore list. It's there for a reason-no one is going to feel insulted by it

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You are a very polite and reasonable poster. Of course I can see from your content that you are a big fan of JP and sometimes I feel like you are over selling his strong points and glossing over his weaknesses, but I always enjoy reading what you post. You have no reason to continue apologizing to the board. Keep up the positive attitude and posts.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Why would you want to play Montoya tonight and lose a 4th rounder instead of a 5th rounder? We're out of the playoff race now.. so what's the point of doing that? Call up Broissoit or anybody instead. I'm puzzled.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why would you want to play Montoya tonight and lose a 4th rounder instead of a 5th rounder? We're out of the playoff race now.. so what's the point of doing that? Call up Broissoit or anybody instead. I'm puzzled.
Cause Montoya probably has a future here or something

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I have a couple of ideas ... 1) Chiarelli is thinking 'hey I gave up a first AND a second rounder for a guy who didn't even play an NHL game with us, and I still have a job. What's the worst that could happen if I give up a fourth instead of a fifth for Montoya'. Or 2) Chiarelli just plain forgot the conditions of the trade.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I thought Tkachuk being out of the lineup really hurt the Oilers.

I was thinking the exact same thing - they needed him to be there to stir things up and get us riled-up. It's unfortunate that we can't initiate on our own but need a sh** disturber to get us energized...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I have a couple of ideas ... 1) Chiarelli is thinking 'hey I gave up a first AND a second rounder for a guy who didn't even play an NHL game with us, and I still have a job. What's the worst that could happen if I give up a fourth instead of a fifth for Montoya'. Or 2) Chiarelli just plain forgot the conditions of the trade.

I'm betting on #2. That and he plans on not bringing in anyone to challenge for the backup spot next season. This way it makes it look like Montoya has more value because we chose to give up more value to get him.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
This team is in major trouble if they have Pool Party cemented as a top 6 to start next year.

He has lots of time, but the guy still looks so off balance most of the timr. Hard time receiving a pass. Looks wobbly out there. Like Drai used to. Still doesn't have good positioning to win board battles. Reminds me of MPS. But checks and timid when he hits the corners. Long stick checks. This guy has a long way to go.

They need to pick up some quality wingers and have Pool Party gradually move up there (Hopefully McLennan is gone).

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
You are a very polite and reasonable poster. Of course I can see from your content that you are a big fan of JP and sometimes I feel like you are over selling his strong points and glossing over his weaknesses, but I always enjoy reading what you post. You have no reason to continue apologizing to the board. Keep up the positive attitude and posts.

Thank you! I definitely know, as I've also written myself, I've oversold his points. It's almost funny actually. But I want to say I've been amazed at how most other fans haven't paid barely any attention to anything else but the total points stats. And many don't remember how things were earlier, but it's okay.

As for being a fan, you would probably be amazed if you knew more about me. I think being a fan means looking up to someone, which I don't do for anyone. Because of my work I deal with national stars constantly so I don't pay too much attention to that kind of things. I consider myself as a firm believer in Pulju, but understand the others see me as an enthusiastic fan.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words! I've also enjoyed your posts a lot and know just by your posts you're a good guy. Not saying the others with maybe different views aren't, but you know :)

Reactions: PulYou

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
The devil of it all is that when McLellan is long gone after being fired, Lucic is still going to be here killing plays night after night for the next 5 years after this one.

#FIRECHIA
I think a good coach will be utilizing Lucic to his strengths. Hitting, fighting, getting in front of the net to pound in rebounds, and generally cause chaos. Not having him trying to be something he's not (A playmaker).

Reactions: PulYou and Duke74

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I dont get this. Anytime anyone writes any criticism of him, prefaced with a disclaimer that he or she still believes in JP, you give this rhetoric where "if you never believed"

A lot of us that critique his game still think he going to be a good player. Is he gonna be that star winger that we expected him to be? I dunno but he has shown glimpses of that. He is also prone to mistakes young players do.

This is getting really irritating. If you dont like posters criticizing him, just ignore the post or even better, add them to your ignore list. It's there for a reason-no one is going to feel insulted by it

I didn't mean the bolded quite like that. I consider my English pretty good, but when I type fast I sometimes make stupid mistakes. Like using a passive form in a wrong spot. I should've written it's okay if one has never believed... In Finnish we use passive form in a very different way (it's never "you" or "one"). To be honest I'm not so aware of your post history that I could say for sure you've never believed in him.

I somehow seem to get you angry with anything I write, which is a shame. That's not what I want.

I'm not irritated when there is critique towards Jesse. Why would I be. I've stated again and again that anyone is as entitled to their opinion as I am. I'd liked to hear something similar from you to be honest, as I feel your writing style has been pretty strict towards me. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never said I've ever had any point in what I've written. I feel there's always been a reason why the stats don't mean anything in this case.

But I was slightly irritated by you talking about fandom of Jesse. I suppose you wouldn't be too excited if I talked about haters of Jesse. Maybe I read that wrong and anyway it's just one message so I shouldn't really care too much I guess.

Peace?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2