Flames 0 Islanders 4 - Tire Fire In Brooklyn

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
People need to relax with Dougie. He hasn't been great, but he's also 22 and in a new system.

If you want a good laugh, go read the thread on the main board about how Hamilton has ruined the Flames. :laugh:

Yeah, he has definitely struggled. But he'll turn it around, I don't think there's any reason to be concerned. It's just frustrating that it's happening now 'cause the team is off to such a lousy start. I'm still as thrilled that we were able to get him as I was when it happened.

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
i watched the first 2 periods and went to sleep, not nice waking up to see 4 goals against Ortio, i wonder if hes gonna get the next start or doest the goalie roulette continue? He was playing really well atleast those 2 periods.

i noticed that when we got to the offensive zone, the tried to carry the puck a lil too long and ended up losing it many many times, they need to shot quicker once they get to the zone and then try to score from the rebounds etc. Also very very slow plays, sometimes it seemed liek they werent even trying, just skating there and doing something?! lol.... :shakehead

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So Hamilton 2 1sts to Edmonton for McDavid...... won't tell them which Hamilton until they trade is done. :P

I recall a time last year, it may have been that 8 game stretch, that our offense dried up, again against the Rangers and Islanders, we struggled to score, the difference then and now was our defense was adequate enough to not end up 4-0 and 4-1.

Bennett looks on the verge of busting through, I've said it the last couple of games, with maybe the exception of Gaudreau he's the hungriest flame right now. Gaudreau looks good, Gio looks better, Smid looks serviceable and Russell has his moments. As much as I'm not a Bollig fan, he is serving a role on this team... I just wish we had someone better. The thing I liked most about Ortio this game, maybe I just haven't noticed it with Ramo or Hiller, is his puck handling, I like that he could and would clear the zone. I felt he was solid through 2 periods, didn't see the 3rd goal, so I don't know if it was bad positioning or what, but that was the save he needed to make. We had momentum that would be a deflating goal. I have liked the effort by large through the last few games, I would like to see a Solid 60 minutes... but sucking this bad... it's unsustainable right?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
People need to relax with Dougie. He hasn't been great, but he's also 22 and in a new system. Suter, arguably a top 5 d at the time he moved to Minny was an absolute tire fire in his first 20+ games. Not worried at all, again, too much talent.

Yeah, someone said something that has put me at ease regarding Dougie, something like "Brodie wasn't as good as he is now at 22". Hell, Gio wasn't as good as he is now at 30!

The only bad thing is we're paying him way too much to wait for his prime. But I think that prime is going to be worth the wait. Too much talent, he'll figure it out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
i watched the first 2 periods and went to sleep, not nice waking up to see 4 goals against Ortio, i wonder if hes gonna get the next start or doest the goalie roulette continue? He was playing really well atleast those 2 periods.

i noticed that when we got to the offensive zone, the tried to carry the puck a lil too long and ended up losing it many many times, they need to shot quicker once they get to the zone and then try to score from the rebounds etc. Also very very slow plays, sometimes it seemed liek they werent even trying, just skating there and doing something?! lol.... :shakehead
Ortio IMO doesn't deserve the next start. He should have had the 2nd and 3rd goals.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Ortio IMO doesn't deserve the next start. He should have had the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Who deserves it then? 'Cause Hiller sure as **** doesn't either.

I'd like to see them stick with Ortio for a while. I'm sick of this goalie carousel and I already know what we have in Hiller. I'd rather see Ortio get a string of starts and see if he can play himself into the starter's job.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Who deserves it then? 'Cause Hiller sure as **** doesn't either.

I'd like to see them stick with Ortio for a while. I'm sick of this goalie carousel and I already know what we have in Hiller. I'd rather see Ortio get a string of starts and see if he can play himself into the starter's job.

If we're going to go with one guy it should not be the guy with 16 career starts who can't even face a high shot without ducking. Unless of course Matthews is the goal, then go ahead and run Ortio out there every night

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If we're going to go with one guy it should not be the guy with 16 career starts who can't even face a high shot without ducking. Unless of course Matthews is the goal, then go ahead and run Ortio out there every night
Wow. This was his first game of the regular season. I am sure he'll get better whe he gets more starts.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
If we're going to go with one guy it should not be the guy with 16 career starts who can't even face a high shot without ducking.

16 career starts. That's exactly it. How many career starts has Hiller had? Surely enough to have been able to grab the starter's job by the horns now and run with it, right? Give Ortio the experience. I'd rather roll with him than the guy who has had nothing but opportunities to grab the starter's job and done nothing with it. I understand what your point and I'm not trying to bash Hiller 'cause he's had some good games for us, but he's not a legit starter and never will be.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
If I were to guess Hiller gets the start. Its what Hartley did all last year and it shouldn't really change until someone steps up. I know Ortio didn't look good and probably was a little rusty but he still needs to earn more starts with wins or a really good performance. I am fine with rotating until someone steps up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ortio definitely deserves another start; even Hartley didn't blame him for the second goal. And he's got to play to get more experience; that's how it works.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hiller in net though.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
16 career starts. That's exactly it. How many career starts has Hiller had? Surely enough to have been able to grab the starter's job by the horns now and run with it, right? Give Ortio the experience. I'd rather roll with him than the guy who has had nothing but opportunities to grab the starter's job and done nothing with it. I understand what your point and I'm not trying to bash Hiller 'cause he's had some good games for us, but he's not a legit starter and never will be.

You know that Hiller was the more important/better of the two goalies who brought this team to the playoffs last year, right?

You know that Hiller actually has been a pretty good goalie during his NHL career? He even was one of the best in the league for 1-2 years.

You know that even one of the greatest goalies of our generation had some bad starts to a season and fought his way back?

You know that the defense has played like moths with strobe lighting?

And I totally disagree with your statement that you're not trying to bash Hiller. You're throwing him under the bus after 8 ****ing games, half of which he didn't even start?

Starting Hiller usually pays off at some point, and I'm not even a big fan of his. But he did rather well last year and he also worked out for the Ducks eventually. He's still one of the best 20-25 starters in the NHL if you look at a larger sample size (not going to argue about exact position) and doesn't deserve to be thrown to the wolves this quickly.

Ortio on the other hand has the potential to become a solid starter and he will continue to get his chances. He certainly won't be gifted the starting position, but he has to work for it in games and training. Yesterday he got a chance but made absolutely no use of it. But he'll get another shot at it, but probably not next game.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
@Richi Hiller has never been more than an above average starter on a strong team. I can't think of a time when he would have qualified as a "top goalie" in the league.

He's a solid goalie, or has been most of his career. Closet he's come to being a strong goalie was when he pushed an aging Giguere out of the crease. And considering how Giguere looked on other teams right after that it's not very surprising.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
@Richi Hiller has never been more than an above average starter on a strong team. I can't think of a time when he would have qualified as a "top goalie" in the league.

He's a solid goalie, or has been most of his career. Closet he's come to being a strong goalie was when he pushed an aging Giguere out of the crease. And considering how Giguere looked on other teams right after that it's not very surprising.

Considering the amount of Ducks games I've watched, I'd put him on par with Howard.

Hes your avg starting goalie, can steal a game here and there but generally he isn't going to be a top goalie in the league. Usually guys like these are good because you overload the money in your skaters for depth. So I agree with the assessment.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ortio gave the team a chance to win. It was close on the scoreboard for 40 minutes in a game that the Flames just didn't show up for.

Blaming him for the loss, or blaming him for some of the goals is hilarious. It was his first game in far too long. Of course there is going to be some rust. Plus he had a few great breakout passes and he actually created as much offence as any player on the Flames last night :laugh: :cry:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ok, that leaves 3 goals that were his fault.

Goal 1) A power play goal with a guy right in front of him in the slot with no defenseman providing coverage gets plenty of time to go top shelf
Goal 2) A fluky deflection off Russell
Goal 3) A perfect shot under the glove and above the pads
Goal 4) Back door feed

The only goal NHL goaltenders are expected to stop was the third one, and it's far from a "soft" goal. Ramo let in like three goals of that ilk per game in last year's playoffs and people were singing his praises.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
You know that Hiller was the more important/better of the two goalies who brought this team to the playoffs last year, right?

I know that Hiller was part of the TANDEM that brought this team to the playoffs last year. Yeah he was better than Ramo... When Ramo played lousy. And when Hiller played lousy... Ramo was the better goalie. Without both of them we don't make the playoffs. Again, both have their hot stretches and can steal you games but they are also both too inconsistent to be a legit #1 starter.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013

2010-2011 he was without a doubt a top goalie in the league. Sadly stopped by Vertigo.

I know that Hiller was part of the TANDEM that brought this team to the playoffs last year. Yeah he was better than Ramo... When Ramo played lousy. And when Hiller played lousy... Ramo was the better goalie. Without both of them we don't make the playoffs. Again, both have their hot stretches and can steal you games but they are also both too inconsistent to be a legit #1 starter.

52 to 34 games; way better SV%; tougher matchups...

-> It´s not like Hiller was the clear cut no.1 goalie, but he was most definitively goalie 1A
-> Thus I wrote "the more important/better of the TWO goalies who brought this team to the playoffs".

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
2010-2011 he was without a doubt a top goalie in the league. Sadly stopped by Vertigo.

52 to 34 games; way better SV%; tougher matchups...

-> It´s not like Hiller was the clear cut no.1 goalie, but he was most definitively goalie 1A
-> Thus I wrote "the more important/better of the TWO goalies who brought this team to the playoffs".

Comparing games played is not really fair, seeing as Ramo was injured part of the year. But I would agree with you. Last year, Hiller was 1A. Ramo was 1B.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2