Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] D Uvis Balinskis signs ELC with the Panthers (1 year, $870k)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How would you describe his style of play ?

Probability of making it to the big show ?
Very mobile two-way defenseman which is kinda small-ish by the NHL standards. While his 11 goals, 35 points this season might look impressive not really an offensive defenseman per se.

I'd say the chances are slim. While his style smooth skating two-way style of play is almost perfect for a modern defenseman I think he is just too small in the D zone to make it work in the NHL. But I hope I'm wrong, maybe he puts himself on some crazy training program in the summer and gains 10 pounds :D

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Very mobile two-way defenseman which is kinda small-ish by the NHL standards. While his 11 goals, 35 points this season might look impressive not really an offensive defenseman per se.

I'd say the chances are slim. While his style smooth skating two-way style of play is almost perfect for a modern defenseman I think he is just too small in the D zone to make it work in the NHL. But I hope I'm wrong, maybe he puts himself on some crazy training program in the summer and gains 10 pounds :D

Is he smaller than that listed 6’ and 190?

That’s basically Adam Fox’s and Makar’s size.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is he smaller than that listed 6’ and 190?

That’s basically Adam Fox’s and Makar’s size.
Yes but he doesn't have the skills of Adam Fox or Makar. In which case some size would help. Sure many players make it work (someone like Michal Kempny would be a great comparable in many ways) but it doesn't give him any advantage when it comes to fighting for a bottom-pair role.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sir, are you aware your Uvis is showing? The whole Balinskis just right out there...

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
What the heck? Lol I follow Latvian hockey a fair amount (don't ask me why) and I like this guy's game well enough but I did not expect to see him come over to NA at 26.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yes but he doesn't have the skills of Adam Fox or Makar. In which case some size would help. Sure many players make it work (someone like Michal Kempny would be a great comparable in many ways) but it doesn't give him any advantage when it comes to fighting for a bottom-pair role.
He's not a bottom pairing D, though.

He's a good skater, as you said, but he's also great at making plays and moving the puck.

Can it translate well to the NHL? We shall see, I would not say the chances are slim.

But it would not make any sense to make him fill the role of a purely defensive D. That's not going to work, no.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He's not a bottom pairing D, though.

But it would not make any sense to make him fill the role of a purely defensive D. That's not going to work, no.
Not really sure what are you even saying. Being a bottom pair D doesn't mean your role is "purely defensive", it means you play the least amount of minutes. You can have Erik Gustavsson playing on your bottom pair, or Jacob Bryson or whoever.

Guys like Bryson, or Kempny whom I mentioned before, are pretty much role models for him. Guys who had a fair bit of offense at the lower level but whose primary task is to not suck defensively and hopefully move the puck out of your own end. "Making plays" is cool and all but once they stop accomplishing their primary objective they are out of the league.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Solid name. His name in reverse even seems like a solid hockey name. (Sivu Siksnilab vs Uvis Balinskis)

Based on the description so far, he might be someone like a Troy Stetcher?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Panthers have better expierence with Veteran from smaller Leagues and outisde of North American Market. Aslong you have good expierence with it keep on trying.
We will see how he fits in and from who he was wished to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad