Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] D Niko Mikkola signs with the Panthers (3 years, $2.5M AAV)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I really liked him with the Rangers, but he's a bottom pairing defenseman.

Wrong

He was pretty good for NYR. Stabilized our 3rd pair and even played above his head on top pair and didn’t look out place (albeit with Adam Fox)

He’s at least a perfectly fine bottom pairing D on pretty much any nhl team
Yeah I wanted him back but not at this price. He's a very solid defenseman.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I kinda thought he might be an okay candidate to target as a solid bottom-pairing D with that coveted size, based on his play with the Blues. But as a Ranger, he looked completely overwhelmed and very bad. Totally nixed any idea that he might have any sort of upward mobility in the lineup.

$2.5M seems like a big bunch of dollars over multiple years, for a guy who is pretty clearly a limited bottom-pairing D.

But Florida just made a run while taking advantage of some mystical ability to get more than anyone else out of bottom-pairing sort of flawed defencemen. So...:dunno:

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20230414_203137.jpg

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Since joining the Panthers he's been one of our best dman on the defensive side of things.

I wasn't sold on him the first few games but he's gotten better. Every game lately he's been very noticeable out there defensively. Has broken 2 on 1s regularly and more than any other dman on the team.

Maybe it's just a good stretch but really like the player so far.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I kinda thought he might be an okay candidate to target as a solid bottom-pairing D with that coveted size, based on his play with the Blues. But as a Ranger, he looked completely overwhelmed and very bad. Totally nixed any idea that he might have any sort of upward mobility in the lineup.

$2.5M seems like a big bunch of dollars over multiple years, for a guy who is pretty clearly a limited bottom-pairing D.

But Florida just made a run while taking advantage of some mystical ability to get more than anyone else out of bottom-pairing sort of flawed defencemen. So...:dunno:
He has been an absolute rock for us.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Awesome defenseman, got all the tools and use them well, very strong on the puck and good first pass out of the zone, him and OEL have been the reason we are doing so well, both are fast and agile and quick on getting the puck out and also strong on the boards, and clearing the area in front of the goalie.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Awesome defenseman, got all the tools and use them well, very strong on the puck and good first pass out of the zone, him and OEL have been the reason we are doing so well, both are fast and agile and quick on getting the puck out and also strong on the boards, and clearing the area in front of the goalie.
Our defense being so banged up after the playoffs I was really worried about how things would turn out. On top of that losing Gudas to FA meant we had to replace 2/3 of our D core.
Right now looks like it has been a blessing in disguise. OEL and Mikkola have both looked really good and certainly exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: JP Mick and Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad