Fixing the PowerPlay - 2024 edition

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Jets have been "puck slow" for a long time. Getting the puck through/on net, opening lanes, creating back door one timers, bumper to slot - it's achieved by being faster with the puck. PoMo even harped on guys dusting it off too much. It's still the main issue IMO.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would like Perfetti basically behind the net feeding Connor and Scheifele , Perfetti is a good passer and Scheifele and Connor have the best one timers on the team.
How many PPs these days are ran behind the net?

I've seen this suggested quite a bit over the years and I can't recall a team where this was the main theme of their PP set up, but il defer to others.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015

I've seen this suggested quite a bit over the years and I can't recall a team where this was the main theme of their PP set up, but il defer to others.
It's the Gretsky's Office setup. I'm not sure how many.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I don't mean Perfetti just stands behind the net the whole time more like he goes where Scheifele is right now but skates with the puck behind the net and Scheifele is in front and Connor just off to Scheifele's right side. Perfetti could pass to either one from behind the net, Connor could shoot or quickly pass to Scheifele for the one timer . One of the hardest things for a goalie is to have to watch a guy behind his net and then a quick pass and a shot comes before he can get set.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Movin guys around into different positions won't help much IMO -
Our PP issue is lack of quick puck and player movement - and they are all part of that.
It's stagnant making it easy to defend and very easy to pressure.

I see KC, JoMo and Ehlers moving at times - but they don't do it in unison.
One of them is trying to find open ice while the rest watch or make minor adjustments.
If they are all moving, it's very hard for a box to defend - we can stretch them out or get them running around.
If you watch our PK, that's what we struggle with - a fast moving offense has us running around.

You need players that are willing to think outside the box in order to make a transitioning PP work - they need to all be comfortable in a state of constant movement.

Either that or dumb it down and get pucks on net with traffic - that's not nearly as pretty and there are more turnovers - but at least there are chances created. Not pushing for this method but it's an option that is probably better than what we are doing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would do 2 things in practice:

I would require any player with the puck on his stick to be moving - no stationary stick handling allowed.
I would put up a shot clock and set it to 5 seconds. A shot has to go to the net before the timer runs out.

Additionally, I'd split the talent into 2 and have a big body on each pp
The pp that performs the best in the last game is pp1 in the next game.

This should build good pp habits and create some competition. Our pp really can't get much worse so it's worth a try.

Perfetti Vilardi (net front) Kupari
Morrissey Schmidt

Schiefele Niederraiter (net front) Connor
Pionk Ehlers

You have your 2 garbage men in front of the net.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I would require any player with the puck on his stick to be moving - no stationary stick handling allowed.
I would put up a shot clock and set it to 5 seconds. A shot has to go to the net before the timer runs out.

This should build good pp habits and create some competition. Our pp really can't get much worse so it's worth a try.

Morrissey Schmidt

Pionk Ehlers

This all sounds good to me.

Forget the bomb from the point or the postcard seam passes / backdoor taps -- generate chaos in front of the net and get shots through on target for tips of any kind, including the bounce-off-the-arse classic.

On those rare occasions where they're moving well enough to find those clear lanes we have players who can rifle it, but that should be a Plan B >>>> G, IMO.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't mean Perfetti just stands behind the net the whole time more like he goes where Scheifele is right now but skates with the puck behind the net and Scheifele is in front and Connor just off to Scheifele's right side. Perfetti could pass to either one from behind the net, Connor could shoot or quickly pass to Scheifele for the one timer . One of the hardest things for a goalie is to have to watch a guy behind his net and then a quick pass and a shot comes before he can get set.
It's the Gretsky's Office setup. I'm not sure how many.
right i get that. i guess what i am getting at is how many teams are really scoring from this manner these days? i don't watch enough non-Jets teams to have a qualified view. ie: what is the usual method or set-up that Drai, Mackinnon, Kucherov etc scoring all these goals on the PP (might be a bit unfair to compare our fwds to those guys, but trying to concentrate on the set-up).

imo it's all about lack of quick movement currently. whether it be behind the net, cross ice etc. if it's slow and delayed it wont be as effective. even when buff left in 19-20, Pionk was noticeably slow at getting passes over to Laine which gave the opposition a chance to block or disrupt shots, but i don't think it's as bad as this. in 19-20 the PP was still 14th overall with the margin b/w them and top-10 being v small (like 0.6 GF/60), but this year it's in the pre-2016 levels of suck.

this is why at least to me, it doesn't matter who is on the PP or not until there's a huge increase in movement. some suggestions have been bring up heinola, or acquire monahan b/c of their supposed PP proficiency it doesn't matter until there's an uptick in tempo.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just some stats on the PP....

SeasonPP GF/60 (rank)PP xGF/60 (rank)
20116.42 (12th)6.47 (16th)
20124.93 (30th)5.37 (26th)
20135.6 (24th)6.5 (19th)
20146.26 (18th)7.02 (10th)
20155.19 (30th)5.84 (26th)
20166.58 (18th)6.81 (16th)
20178.84 (3rd)6.44 (27th)
20189.02 (4th)7.3 (6th)
20197.36 (14th)7.32 (7th)
20207.83 (9th)6.82 (8th)
20217.58 (16th)7.66 (13th)
20226.96 (22nd)7.93 (16th)
20235.34 (24th)6.37 (31st)

so pre 2016 it was usually ~average to bad, Laine years it was ~average to one of the best in the league. CDN Division was good but kind of a weaker set of opponents. then it's progressively gotten worse each year.

imo - you have have a v strong set of skilled fwds. there's really no reason it should be comparable to that of the pre-2016 Jets.

the collection of scheifele+KC+morrissey+vilardi+ehlers (current top-5 in PP TOI/gp) were collectively shooting ~11% and +11 in GF vs xGF at 5v5.

on the PP: 8% and -4.5 GF vs xGF.

Reactions: hn777

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)

Morrissey Schmidt

Pionk Ehlers

“Garbage men”..😄,..maybe we should call them “real men who can take out the trash”?
D5641AEF-7AE9-4704-81F8-31A23F5C2604.jpeg

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Our D need to take more simple snap shots from the line.

The big wind up slap shot has become ineffective in today's NHL. Its a shot the on puck defender can read easily and block most of the time.

The successful power plays have Dmen that can sneak shots through by not giving an indication they are going to shoot. The snap shot is hard to pick up by the on puck defender, because its instant without any forecasted motion.

Players in front of the net love the snap shot because once the shot gets through the on puck defender, its easier to pick up and deflect at the net.

I liken it to this video on punching:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
As said by many, the problem with our PP is NOT simply personnel related - there is a definite lack of purpose and plan built into it by the coach`s.

A major part of our current difficulties arise from the fact that we do not use the bumper guy effectively. We move the puck around the outside, trying without success to get the defensive box to break down/move and to open lanes. The bumper guy tends to be far too static and is seldom if ever involved in creating the attack by 2 on 1`s, or, differing attack angles.. It seems in fact that he just follows the puck going around the outside and tries to position for a possible bump passout/shot which occurs infrequently, or, tries to screen the goalie or look for rebounds.

Now , it seems like a planned systematic reworking of the PP is not in the cards with the coachs` we have- too bad. But my hope is that Monahan, with his years of experience at the bumper position, can get the boys to perhaps spontaneously incorporate some changes in what they are doing. We will just have to watch and see.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For those that missed it in the GDT, and credit to @Ponds for putting this together.

Some background and history of Lauer

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
For those that missed it in the GDT, and credit to @Ponds for putting this together.

Some background and history of Lauer

The more this analysis gets bumped and cross-posted the worse it seems.

How hard can it be to map out a PP that doesn't criminally suck, especially when you have some highend playmaking and shooting talent?

Gain zone. Place big arse netfront. Move puck quickly. Shoot on net.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the pp has actually looked better - outside of the pittsburgh game over the past few. Bottom line is, you have to put the puck in the net.
I like Monahan in the bumper, hes not afraid to stay there and makes good decisions when the puck comes to him.

Fire Lauer. To me that's what's going to turn around this PP

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The more this analysis gets bumped and cross-posted the worse it seems.

How hard can it be to map out a PP that doesn't criminally suck, especially when you have some highend playmaking and shooting talent?

Gain zone. Place big arse netfront. Move puck quickly. Shoot on net.
That's the thing... there really isn't any "mapping out" (or at least much) to be done. Just about every team at every level uses a 1-3-1 /overload set up

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Is the problem too many big/size players on the team? Jets need a few smaller/shifty players for the PP? Perfetti and Ehlers are the smallest forwards we have. They should be on top unit.

Best Pp I saw for jets was in the preseason a few years back with Spacek and other smaller forwards. So much puck movement and speed on the PP.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Movin guys around into different positions won't help much IMO -
Our PP issue is lack of quick puck and player movement - and they are all part of that.
It's stagnant making it easy to defend and very easy to pressure.

I see KC, JoMo and Ehlers moving at times - but they don't do it in unison.
One of them is trying to find open ice while the rest watch or make minor adjustments.
If they are all moving, it's very hard for a box to defend - we can stretch them out or get them running around.
If you watch our PK, that's what we struggle with - a fast moving offense has us running around.

You need players that are willing to think outside the box in order to make a transitioning PP work - they need to all be comfortable in a state of constant movement.

Either that or dumb it down and get pucks on net with traffic - that's not nearly as pretty and there are more turnovers - but at least there are chances created. Not pushing for this method but it's an option that is probably better than what we are doing.

The bolded x100.

The 5 man umbrella with little movement can be covered by 4 defenders almost as though it is even numbers. The 5 can maintain possession. The 4 can remain static too, just covering all the lanes. But all they are doing is playing keepaway. The objective is to score, not to just keep possession.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Scheifele learned all the bad habits from Wheeler... we are still looking for the perfect cross ice pass - that really only worked because of Laine...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad